Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groove tubes Ecc83 ... they came at last ......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to eurotubes.com and email the guy that owns the site he will recommend. you can describe the kind of sound you want to come out of your box and he'll propose which to get. Also theres very good descriptions. they use words like "crisp" "warm" "distorted" in context for the tube it applies to...
Miss Manglebox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gives me hope! One of my tubes is starting to go and its screwing up my levels and making me angry! Gotta get some nice ones in there. Will have to check out everything mentioned in this thread. I'm all for pristine sounding, don't care one bit about the overdrive.

Good work reddone Smile
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey look at what I accidentally found... guitar center has a whole section on tubes...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tubes-Guitar-Replacement-Parts.gc
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing I noticed.... the overdrive knob on synth parts ACTUALLY SOUNDS WICKED!!!!! it's clean potent dunamic pumping action...

so wicked I couldn't resist so I recorded my discoveries... beware I go from no over drive to fully turned up overdrive for two parts so they go from relatively quiet to relatively loud but that's one potent sound make over!!!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=622210&songID=6270771
reddone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah , the harmonics are still readable there , quite elasticy sounding . I find that sometimes the mx can sound-off in way ive never heard anything do b4 , when the tubes
n according synth parts are set it just the right sweet spot.

as soon as i tuned up my tubes to suit my sound i couldnt beleive that korg wouldnt have let it be more common knowledge that upgrading to a personal prefferenced set of tubes could and does give more scope in getting the sounds ur after .

So it take 5 years of the x-tribes being available 4 it to become clear that this is the way forward . This is actually kinda pissing me off , cos ive made alot of decent tunes over the years that were just a little short of the tone i was after ..... and after persistant effort to get it "spot-on" i often got fed up listening over n over again til i hated n wiped them tunes.

korgs support to x-tribes users has been pretty poor up til now , i think personally ... and i still cant find V3 of the mx software , im still on v1 .... and my friend has v3 .

Where is the battery/speaker pack ?
Where are decent knobs ?
Why no tube options made clear ?
Where is the pc software for the mx ?
Where is the v3 onboard software available ?
why didnt they think things thru a bit more ?

I love my mx more than ANYTHING else i own , motorbike included ... but korg MUST release new tribes n think them thru as far as possible 4 the end-users longterm benefit ... which benefits korg in turn .
mish mash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you are probably speaking for a lot of ppl there....at list for me.I've had the mx for 1 year and a few month,at first it was wow and still is but quickly I got annoyde by the lack of something....it would always sound a bit too metalic...ok it an electribe and it should soung analog and not digital but just a little lack of warness(it gets warn with the tubes but quickly distorted)
or fine tuning or something and them tubes sound as if it is the missing link.
Have you ever tried to send korg an e-mail with the link to the forum....just to let them know that it is not a product at the end of it's potential or a toy.It is an instrument and it needs upgrade.
Today's mission shall be the forwarding of this conversation to korg Smile

Emx 1
Esx 1
Kp3
Zero 8
PCR 500
Mac book pro
cdj 1000
reddone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah , unfortunatly ive tried email-ing korg a couple of times bout specific updates that would be realisticly possibel ... but they are'nt interested to be honest , they simply wont put more money or time into the x-tribes , although i really do think that new tribes are about a year away ( i hav a strange habit of many of my predictions come true , the mx was one of them lol ... really )

Anyway , nevermind cos we now know what needs be done n it doesnt cost a bomb neither . new tubes do really open things up alot in terms of scope and satisfation in the end product . The metalic kinda sound bugged me too n 1 word can sum it up ... "ring" , the damn ax7's ring like hell ... BAD choice korg !!

anyhow , here is my first full production on my pumped up mx ( http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6277125 ) . It only took a couple of hours to make but was enjoyable all the way , without any doubts on sound quality or anything .

A return to the dark side of the force ( valve force , lol ... sorry ) Wink
anselmi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddone3 wrote:
here is my first full production on my pumped up mx ( http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6277125 )

there´s 4 tracks...are they all made with the MX-GT? (here´s the name!)
reddone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah , all them tunes are done with the MX-GT ( apart from "under tha gun" ) , although only " fire - non competition mix " ( http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6277431 ) ... and "glass-ice" ( http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6277125 ) are the only two proper songs that ive done since getting to grips with the new tubes .

"fire-non compo " i preffer over ALL them beats , but i think "glass-ice" is a good production in its own right .

both were done in song mode , fully tweaked n programmed , and both hav just one sample alongside the mx synth n drums ( es1-mkI is the sampler used , put thru the mx for GT tone ) .

I LOVE songmode , it has its flaws but i like it more n more all the time .
Razz
11hz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just put in a set of jj ecc803 tubes into my esx. The difference in sound is subtle when the gain is low but definitely less distortion when you turn the gain knob up. I may try some Mullards next to see how that sounds.

check out this place, they've got some super expensive tubes. I wounder what those sound like.

http://www.tubedepot.com/12ax7.html
reddone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think for tube selection to go with ur sampler you should really read what the tubes tone has to offer so's to get something u'd be more satisfied with .
Something to bare in mind is that all users ( i think ) that bought tubes since i posted this topic hav been EMX users .. and naturally we are going to notice probably more a significant change in tone . personally i couldnt go back to e.h ax7's as my groove tubes sound so rich in harmonics with no "ringy-ness" .

there should be something out there that could ramp up ur tone tho , just keep looking around Wink
11hz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read about the tubes I was considering and narrowed it down the the ones i got and the mullards because they were both recommended for hi-fi systems. I figured, since I'm using the esx for sounds from bass tones to cymbals, that a tube used for hi fi systems would be a good pick. But who knows. I think you just have to try different ones out. I'll probably try one more set. I definitely like the ones I got over the ones in there before.
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i´ve no idea what you guys are talking about.

what, replacing the existing tubes? that goes? hellasweet.

any tubes expert care to summarise?

d
reddone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically , u unscrew the plate at the back and jsut pull out the existing tubes which are held in by little spikes/pins ( like plugs ) . Just wiggle them and they come out then put in the tubes you've chosen for the final tone of ur box .

Gone will be any "plastic/squeeky" kinda sounds if u get good pre-amps Wink

Im no expert in how tubes work , but i know how to use an mx pretty well and i know that this is what really opens the mx up .

The qaulity of the sound engine is poorly affected by standard Ax7's , a small n cheap upgrade gives ALOT more scope Cool
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taller plated tubes produce smoother "warm" sound... shorter ones seem to be producing rougher distorted sounds.

I personally prefer taller ones because you can turn up the drive knob on emx synth parts all the way and all it does is totally change the characteristics and compresses the sound without distorting it so much it not useful any more. It's almost a new effect type and it adds a LOT of dynamics to sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: