Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groove tubes Ecc83 ... they came at last ......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musikmachine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
taller plated tubes produce smoother "warm" sound... shorter ones seem to be producing rougher distorted sounds.

I personally prefer taller ones because you can turn up the drive knob on emx synth parts all the way and all it does is totally change the characteristics and compresses the sound without distorting it so much it not useful any more. It's almost a new effect type and it adds a LOT of dynamics to sound.

Taller plated tubes?

Yeah the MX is like a whole new instrument.Like reddone says a whole new scope..the oscillators sound better and the fx are more usable.I found myself cutting back in the fx as the oscs sound good on their own.The dual osc is perfect for phat electro house basslines.Overall the sound is much richer.Glad i held onto mine.if your thinking of selling your emx at least consider putting some new tubes in before you do.If you stil decide to sell it you can always take the tubes out..
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

within the tube theres those metalic parts, they can be as short as half of the actual tube to as tall as they can fit...

short:

tall:

I've messed with several different kinds and I settled with those two... the tall ones are a lot more smooth sounding and a lot more organic while short ones are more rough and distorted...

I used the shorter one on the esx cause the machine doesn't have as much overdriving and distorting capabilities on its own because of the lack of the drive button....
musikmachine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
within the tube theres those metalic parts, they can be as short as half of the actual tube to as tall as they can fit...

short:

tall:

I've messed with several different kinds and I settled with those two... the tall ones are a lot more smooth sounding and a lot more organic while short ones are more rough and distorted...

I used the shorter one on the esx cause the machine doesn't have as much overdriving and distorting capabilities on its own because of the lack of the drive button....

Cool didn't know about that.If i get some more tubes i feel a bit more informed about my choices Smile

I'd say my GTs are quite smooth,even with the tube gain all the way up so it would be interesting to hear the more organic sound of the taller plated tubes...

If the size of the plate is an indication of the quality then i may have to get some "taller plated tubes" Very Happy

Cheers
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the ones in the bottom picture... trust me they kick major arse. You'll be amazed by the quality of you can get them from eurotubes.com ECC803 S Gold Pin - 12AX7
11hz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruso, have you tried the 803s regular pin? and is there a noticable difference between the regular and the gold pin?
digitalv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone mentioned in this thread about maybe having to tune the tubes, how hard is this? I just ordered meself a set of new uns
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuning is kinda personal preference . I mentioned b4 that i tuned my tubes , but it isnt neccesry . basically its very easy but u need to listen carefully at whats happening as u tune as its kinda about finding the "sweetspot" .

What i mean is that as u press a key over n over u should be listening to hear when the tubes soundd at their best . Incremental turning of both plastic screws behind the tubes will let u do this .

but as i said , u mite not need to or even think that its important ... but , i would advise testing different settings while pressing keys so get a sound that suits u better .

its up to yourself really .
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly gold and not gold shouldn't make a noticible difference.... (although gold looks cooler Wink).... there are two kinds of tuning, one is simple and is done by ear by turning the knobs next to the tubes with a screw driver(carefully)....

theres a more complicated way which is the way it should be done but only service centers can do this because it requires a special smart media card.

now one thing I noticed is when you swap tubes the left and right channels become different levels.... unless you get lucky. I called a local service center which told me that you do not need to tune preamp tubes(to which I said bullshit when I read the service manual and it has a whole section on this).... he said I can bring it in but it will cost me like 50 bucks per half an hour to which I also said bullshit and decided to deal with it by panning a lil Wink

works just fine now.
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the leveling problem is kinda there for me to , but it's pretty minute really .. and i had the same problem straight outta the box on day 1 with standard ax7's !!

i just cant understand korg giving us the tubes they did tho , they mustve known what great a sound the mx produces .. but then to give it sub-standard tubes ??

Anyway ppl , there is nothing to fear and very little risk to take so , find tubes to suit and part with that cash cos the price of the mx feels ALOT more justified when u hear it correctly output
musikmachine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this levelling problem as well.The right channel was much quieter than the left..At first i thought i'd done something to the mx during the installation but i swapped the tubed and it's fine now *phew*
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been reading what u said ruso bout different sizes in plates in relation to sounds , and am thinking that somehow shorter plates may offer more compression by being shorter .

basically , im thinkin the less room the freqs/sounds are able to travel around the cathode naturally there'd be more of a compression effect .

i havnt bought other tubes to use when needed cos i never feel the need , but im curious again as to what other types of tubes do to the mx.

what u think on the compression thing ?
It seems as tho that it'd work that way ...
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I don't think the tubes actually compress the sound I think a simmilar effect is acheved through natural overdriving of all sounds.... think about it all a compressor does is make the loud sounds beyond a certain threshold louder which is essentially an overdrive(compression with no threshold)....

shorter ones don't seem to add more compression but then again I try to turn the tuning knobs all the way down for least ammount of fx. I hate any form of distortion in music so even tho I like to overdrive I like warm nondistorted overdrive.
reddone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am not the greatest fan of distorting my sounds TOO much , but to be fair i dont find that the GT's distort very much , more like a qaulity "fizzle" at its most driven . and the warmth is really nice too .

The thing is when reading the info b4 buying the tubes it read " high gain pre-amp with midrange clarity and superb warm bass with higher comression " . I coupled that with looking at some tunes in an editor and found alot less problems with spiking of waves , so i thought somehow things are being compressed. the ax7's are taller but sound poor , so alot must simply be down to the design i reckon .

Doesnt really matter tho as i'll be getting a set of new tubes for different tones anyway .
musikmachine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
get the ones in the bottom picture... trust me they kick major arse. You'll be amazed by the quality of you can get them from eurotubes.com ECC803 S Gold Pin - 12AX7

When i saw eurotubes i assumed they were somewhere in europe!Are they available elsewhere?

There's life in th emx yet!
xmit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered a pair of JJ(Tesla) ECC803-S from a company called Hot Rox UK...they didnt have the gold-pin variety however, but hopefully they'll pimp my MX sufficiently.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: