Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emblazon The Night
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Emblazon The Night Reply with quote

Some decades ago, my girlfriend and I went to the beach, where we grew up, for a long day...Early morning to midnight. I wrote a suite a few years ago..( Mist and Sea, Play of the Waves, and Sea Rose) but never finished. Now I have.

It is bombastic, analog, unsettled and generally just over-played, (although still harmonic Rolling Eyes ...) There was a rose involved..and we married soon after. It is "Emblazon The Night", and we did..I leave you to determine the rest...I thank whatever Gods may be for her...

Feb song, OSAM

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/emblazon.mp3

John (ellll) Rolling Eyes

EDIT...:!!..Well, It is somewhat improved..only two tricks...

1. I just removed a few notes where sound was breaking down from too many parts..

2. One place would have been messed up ...to remove notes...so I added notes... Shocked On the Harp...to cover the slight loss...it works, and you likely wouldn't find that spot...

And I brought the piano up "just a tad"...all I could without losing the character...BUT..I believe in the loud part with the chorus, I hear some distortion...

anyway...if anyone should have the unlikely benefit of time on your hands....(There would be better ways to use it...)

John Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ellll on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick comments, after listening on the server...This thing has probs in the mix, and the effects...Other ideas I would like to have implemented as well; I may do this Suite up for my wife..(She doesn't know of it..) so I should clean it up..

Let me know what you hear...

I do have an associate who is an expert and can tear it down, repair and re-master..so I might pay him to do so...

My Regards!! John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start out by saying that I feel like you most assuredly have captured a feel for a beach. There is a sense of deliberate uncontrolled, yet organized chaos as I feel waves swelling and releasing. And I can parallel that no doubt to the events and your relationship at that time.

Technical aspects:

There are two things that stand out to me.

1. The piano could have been much brighter. It would have given some textural contrast (can you tell I love contrast) to the strings and voices which tend to swallow the piano at points. Even the voices and string become indistinguishable in of themselves at points. Some EQ of the various instruments might give us a better idea of what you want us to focus on at any given point, which I think is the only thing missing from this song: a strong focal point.

2. There also sounded like some voice robbing was going on. No less than three or four times did I hear the choral voices suddenly drop completely from the mix, most notably in the first fifth of the song right after the piano sequences up.

But that would be my only points of recommendation. Beautiful song!

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Ellll, this is such a great piece. While I agree with Jonsolo suggestios, (thank goodness he's helping us out here as he really nails the improvement ideas) I think your wife is one lucky lady too, to have a piece like this in her and your honor to celebrate the moments you've had in this life together. This piece is very emotional but not so much overly sentimental but rather a lush ebb and flow of emotion and sensation. It does suggest a young relationship that will take years to mature. I don't know how you capture these things in melodies and harmonies. I noticed some very sophisticated harmonic surprizes in there that really takes the whole thing up a few notches. At first it seemed to be just these lush washing over chords and such but it begins to sound like a piano concerto eventually as the themes develop nicely, and yes if the piano were truly bright there we would have the proper sound pallette. If necessary I think it's a great idea to have this polished up professionally as it needs to be done correctly and given it's propers so to speak. I really love what you're doing. And never apologize for these amazing works of art. The world needs more of your genius. And now with the internet you can share to a wide audience.

Also, the pads that sound like choral voices are a bit unusual, though I actually like them that way. It lends the piece a more modern feel as if electronic sounds mesh perfectly with classical.
album cover
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ellll! I like a lot the ending of this song, the last 1 minute has great chord, you should really buy yourself an Oasys or an M3 for the sounds (I think both are inexpensive than ask an orchestra to record eh eh eh)!
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon..Yes indeed...voice robbing is rampant at times..(some you don't hear as a result of other voices covering...). Of course in removing, you are generally stuck, as running the voices each in turn, removes the overload, so you have to do it with all voices running...(ANYONE know a reasonable work-around, other than not letting it happen in the first place??)...I also agree with the piano issue..however I was looking for a muddled blend..(which is what I was in that day...)..I will look to the issues you name!!!

George, thanks for the kind words. In fact, I am in it to be a part...not to sell anything...That is over for me..So: In fact the pads were an attempt to get away from such as my small string groups...and just go analog and muddled..But I will pull the parts out!!! So glad for the comments on the harmony, a point I enjoy in music...

And To Lorenzo...Thanks for the note I can show my wife...(detailing what I should be playing on... Wink Perhaps she will take a better viewof it all). At present, I have found I can get a TR reasonable..and I will try one, as I really like the sounds..first time since the O1W that I felt good about a piano...but maybe an Oasys is in the future...(maybe...) Thanks for your good vibes!!!

My Best Regards, John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Lorenzo is a genius.
Buy an Oasys and tell the lovely Miss Ellli "I only bought the Oasys in order to try to express my vast love to you" "How can our love be expressed with less that the best"? "You are the reason I bought this machine and it is still not enough for you"!.... Let me know if it works!

I agree with Jon and George the pads blur the strings and choral. It is an instrument problem and not a music problem.

You crack me up John. You should be teaching us all. Your tremendous experience shows. The piece is not pretentious. It is a shame you don't have a real orchestra (or and Oasys quality instrument) to work with. I can hear the full piece despite the instrumentation you have. I will try to learn from the instructor. What a happy ending, you get the music and the girl. This is very nice.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
John, Lorenzo is a genius.
Buy an Oasys and tell the lovely Miss Ellli "I only bought the Oasys in order to try to express my vast love to you" "How can our love be expressed with less that the best"? "You are the reason I bought this machine and it is still not enough for you"!.... Let me know if it works!

Laughing don't use the word VAST if you'll buy the oasys... eh eh eh
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW..Thanks Jazlover!!,

In fact, I do need the new Oasys, from all I have learned...but at our time..it is hard to part with so much cash, with no clear way to reclaim it...This economy may be more difficult than any are admitting..and we have to think of health issues, should they arrive..(.early..). I will try, perhaps I should just teach a bit more, just for the purpose of an Oasys.

After much thought, and help from an OSAM friend, I have decided I do need to tell something...just so you would understand me better..It is more fair to be honest than secret. If it is the wrong decision, forgive me..

We lost our oldest son, (also named John..) of two children, in an apartment fire, electrical, last August 21, at 5:00 am ...He was 43, and a loss we have problems with. We will give him a site for all time, as we know it, next month near his grandparents. Our grandson, in the downstairs apt. got out unharmed. Our son was divorced. He and his son lived two blocks from us.

Hope all is O.K. with giving you this...I went through some fear that I would be thought seeking sympathy, but I know my friends here would probably not fault me...

My Regards...John (ellll)
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAST...Good one, Lorenzo...

Very Happy
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, this is a really sad news, I can't find a single word to tell you how I feel now.
regards, Lorenzo
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being tongue and cheek about actually buying a Oasys. I am financially stretched beyond belief. The more I make, the less I have it seems. I have a child going to college and I don't know how I am going to pay for it. We will make it, I just never know how. It is tough times in Florida.

I am truly broken at such news. With hollow words I am only thankfull that you are willing to let us in on something so personal. I am reminded too quickly how blessed I am. My love and prayers goes out to you all. I pray that there will be much healing and peace to your house.

I have changed the song I was going to do this month. I will write an acoustic piece that has been in my mind. It is a healing piece. May God Bless you brother.
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. That is just terrible news. Sad
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, first of all there's nothing wrong with needing a bit of sympathy when you've gone thru something so difficult as this. If you do share these personal things that is of course your decision, but don't worry what we will think as we're all here to support and encourage each other. My best wishes for you and your family. My prayers are with you in this one for sure.
album cover
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellll - I am a bit at loss for words - for your Feb. tune and to hear of your loss!

You have excellent feedback above on your song - you are talented, and it would be awesome to hear your tune polished up as George said. I have no idea on how to create tunes in that style - very Movie scene like to me - lots of imagery.

It is good that you are part of our virtual family here - I send you a virtual hug Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: