Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help for a friend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Need help for a friend. Reply with quote

My friend has a Yamaha MO6, and she wants to possibly add a Korg keyboard to her setup. She can't afford an M3 or an Oasys, so I've suggested either a used Triton Extreme, or PA1X Pro. She's looking for a 76 key keyboard, with a good piano sound, that she can play in church. I haven't played the Triton Extreme or the PA1X Pro, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Does anyone here have any suggestions?
MadDonna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, go to a shop and listen to either of them.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could save her money and get a Casio WK-3800.

If she doesn't need pitch or mod wheels, and she will be piped through the church PA system, you can save her even more money with a Casio WK-110, which can be found under $200.

No, I'm not joking. Play them with some pro headphones at the store, then come back and tell me I'm wrong, I dare ya.

I have an X-50 (Triton sound engine) and a Casio WK-110 (among other keys). I use the WK-110 for practice and to haul around in my car without having to worry too much about having it stolen. I got mine for only about $125. The keyboard is velocity sensitive with a synth action. Don't expect a piano key feel, but the stereo grand piano sounds great, certainly good enough for her purposes. It has lot's of sounds that are great for worship services: electric pianos, organs of all kinds, etc.

The WK-3800 adds the pitch/mod wheels, more sounds, much better built-in speakers, better digital effects, and I think it looks nicer with its silver finish. It's probably the better choice of the two at $400. Both can record, store and play GM midi, and have arranger styles.

She could spend a whole lot more and not get a lot more than what she really needs.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
You could save her money and get a Casio WK-3800.

If she doesn't need pitch or mod wheels, and she will be piped through the church PA system, you can save her even more money with a Casio WK-110, which can be found under $200.

No, I'm not joking. Play them with some pro headphones at the store, then come back and tell me I'm wrong, I dare ya.

I have an X-50 (Triton sound engine) and a Casio WK-110 (among other keys). I use the WK-110 for practice and to haul around in my car without having to worry too much about having it stolen. I got mine for only about $125. The keyboard is velocity sensitive with a synth action. Don't expect a piano key feel, but the stereo grand piano sounds great, certainly good enough for her purposes. It has lot's of sounds that are great for worship services: electric pianos, organs of all kinds, etc.

The WK-3800 adds the pitch/mod wheels, more sounds, much better built-in speakers, better digital effects, and I think it looks nicer with its silver finish. It's probably the better choice of the two at $400. Both can record, store and play GM midi, and have arranger styles.

She could spend a whole lot more and not get a lot more than what she really needs.

Hey, I know what you're talking about! Casios have had good piano sounds for a long time. I'll suggest one of those keyboards to her, but she'd really like a Korg, because of the easy UI, and she'd like some good Rhodes sounds as well. I don't think Mom's Music here in Louisville carries the PA1X Pro, or the PA2X, so I need as many suggestions as I can get. How good is the piano on the PA1X Pro vs the Triton Extreme or Classic?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she only wants piano and elec. piano sounds for playing songs in church, any pro worstation or pro arranger is complete overkill and she will be paying thousands of dollars for features she won't use.

Even though the X-50 is a 61 key, it has a lot of good piano/elec sounds from the Triton. Or perhaps the Triton TR 76.

Is she really going to be doing her own sampling? That's one of the few reasons to buy the Triton EX.

Is she going to be composing music using styles? Is she going to be singing and need a vocal harmonizer? Those would be good reasons to buy the PA1X Pro. If she's just going to be playing songs and doesn't need a harmonizer, then most of that money will be wasted. These are music composition workstations, more than just performance keyboards.

Even used, the Triton EX and PA1X Pro are rather expensive, unless you're lucky and find one well below the going prices.
hacksaw15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the deal. I've owned that WK-3000 with is pretty much the same as the WK-3800 and to tell a person with a MO6 to buy a Casio WK-3000 is out of the question. There is a sound quality difference. I kept both my Casio and Triton Le for around a year and never used the Casio anymore it sat around and collected dust so I sold it. I'm not saying it's not a good keyboard for the price matter of fact you can't beat what you get for the price but after playing a Triton (any of them including the TR), Yamaha MO6 you are not going to add a Casio home portable to your rig because you will see right away it's sound will not fit with the rest of your rig.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Extreme has two BEAST piano sounds! Links to demo files from Korg Website:

Bosendorfer Piano Sample -
http://www.korg.com/downloads/mp3/TRITONEXTREME/BellaFaccia(pcm08).mp3

Steinway Piano Sample -
http://www.korg.com/downloads/mp3/TRITONEXTREME/BelleFaccia(Extreme).mp3

Also, the Pa1X Pro is basically going to have the same piano sound and synthesizer capabilities as the Triton Classic, and i can tell you, the piano sound in that would not impress you.

Really tho, if all she needs is a good piano sound and basic keyboard instrument sounds, check out the TR, or perhaps the an old SG-ProX Keyboard (i bet you could find one on eBay for a great price).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: