Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KPIII as a groove machine...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: KPIII as a groove machine... Reply with quote

Hallo

I'm a solo keyboard/synth performer (electro, ambiance, trance, dance music) and well, now I think I have enough synth power, with Radias, FX8 and even analog Rogue with CV/gate Midi converter - so I was looking for kinda more expressive drum/rhythm machine...
FX8 has an internal drumcomputer already, but it's just not as flexible, as I would like it to be!

Does KPIII make an expressive (something you can tweak really good, in different way, very intuitively - get lot's of expression) drum machine?

I'm not talking about composing drum tracks - I'm talking about tweaking them, to get this groovy sound!

If yes, what are the possibilities of it? (both sampled drum loops and just audio input)

Thanks in advance...
Zedius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would say yes. It really depends what sound you want though.

Some things going for it this way:

Many effects are tempo locked so effect is always on time, which means your groove doesn't get sloppy.

When you release your finger from the pad the effect can disappear with a delay, or not, so you can have smooth transitions or really abrupt ones. This is probably a useful feature for beats.

And of course you can resample anything so you can layer drum tracks this way and access them quickly.

The effects sound really nice, and you can store up to 8 for easy access.

Do you have a midi sequencer? If so you can record and play back pad movements. This could probably help you create good grooves.

Drawbacks:

Limited sampling time (up to 16 beats per 4 pads), so short loops.

Only 4 sample banks.

The built in thing to record pad movements is pretty hard to use effectively, and it has very short memory.

It has no midi through so it has to be either the master or the end of your chain.

If I were you, I'd try to rent one first. It might be really cool, or it might not be useful for what you want.

Also, do you have any music online?
maako

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't say it better myself Wink
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting one will be pretty useless - in my store, I have 30 day satisfaction garanty - if I don't like it, I can just bring it back and get a store credit.

I think what I want from it, is just sampling drum loops (with different channels - you can loop 4 samples at the same time, right?), which I make with other gear/software and then just trigger them, and do some crazy stuff with onboard effects.

Also, maybe using it as a X/Y controller for my other synths.

And what about Electribes? Does they make kinda intuitive drum machines???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: