Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaoss Pad and Live drumming?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrummerNJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Kaoss Pad and Live drumming? Reply with quote

Hello, I think the pad looks amazing..I've been checking it for awhile now and am amazed by the cool work everyone is doing with it. Is there anyone out there with any suggestions as to how I could utilize this in a live playing situation? I plan to send a stereo drum mix to the KP3. Is there someway to start and stop loop recording with a footswitch and/or other functions??? thanks
subVert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would work for a drummer playing live. Drummers already amaze me with the ability to use each limb independently, but I don't see how it would be possible to play anything but a kick drum and control the KP3 at the same time. You would need someone else running the KP3 for you.

There is no footswitch input so you would be stuck using your hands to trigger the recording.
DrummerNJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks..I was having a bad feeling like that!! such a shame..it is such an amazing tool!! well great fun to everyone else..thanks again
subVert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you got something like a Boss RC-20 or RC-50 just to capture the loops while you are playing live and then feed the output of that into the KP3, so you could capture your drumming and then while the phrase is looping you can stop playing your kit and start playing the KP3.
DrummerNJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks ..I'm looking into it...for simple capture do U think the RC-20 would make it??
thanks again...I used to be an Akai sampler kind of guy but lost interest until I saw people using the Kaoss...
it is fantastic!
subVert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would love an RC-50 myself, it has more pedals = more control. But an RC-20 would be able to let you use your feet to loop your beats and then do live overdubbing. By itself it wouldn't do any cool effects. I don't know if the RC-20 has midi out (the RC-50 does). But with midi out, you could potentially synchronize the two so that the KP3 BPM effects would be running at the same tempo as the loop from the RC-50.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kaoss Pad and Live drumming? Reply with quote

DrummerNJ wrote:
Hello, I think the pad looks amazing..I've been checking it for awhile now and am amazed by the cool work everyone is doing with it. Is there anyone out there with any suggestions as to how I could utilize this in a live playing situation? I plan to send a stereo drum mix to the KP3. Is there someway to start and stop loop recording with a footswitch and/or other functions??? thanks

A Barringer midi floor board with expression pedal. Or use the korg pad control as a floor board (the pads are big enough). Also since you are a drummer you can use any midi based drum pad unit (Roland Alesis) and have the pads set to midi note to trigger off the sample pads to record. How ever (and there is no way around this) you have to set the record/resample/sample button to arm the pads to record. It doesnt record the second you hit the record button; only when you hit one of the sample bank buttons (ABCD). But these set to a midi switch system (that uses midi note) of your choice either foot switch options I gave you or the portable drum/beat pads. any MPC would work very well in a situation like this.

As far as a good straight floor based STEREO looper, the Boss DD-20 is the best for the money. Don't waist your time with an RC-20(xl).
MisterRider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try hitting the record pad with your hand, one the downbeat, then come in with your drums on beat 2. Might be a cool effect.

If not, you could always try the Electro Harmonix 2880 looper. Has a nice footpedal controller...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: