Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU Usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamantVision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: CPU Usage Reply with quote

I use the KLCDE and KLC software in combination with Tracktion 2...I run them all on a Macbook, OS 10.4, 2.0GHz. I downloaded the versions that are supposed to be optimized for intel macs a while ago, but still all the korg software eats up MASSIVE amounts of CPU power, sometimes even doing nothing and with just a single instance open. Is there something I'm doing wrong or could do to ease this problem? I don't have this problem at all on my other computer (also a mac, but not intel), and it renders the software nearly unusable. I love my KLC and I'd like to be able to avert this problem. Can anyone help? Thanks!
AdamantVision

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I incidentally upgraded my macbook's RAM to 2GB but didn't seem to do the KLC any good. Is there anything I can do?
JingLi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Macbook Pro today, 2.5 GHz, 4 GB ram, running OSX 10.5.2.
Installed Korg Legacy Collection v 1.1.10.
I use the built in sound output set at 44.1 /16 bit, latency is default 5.80 ms.

When running Legacy Cell and selecting 000:Vaporization Pad, cpu load idles at about 55%. Activity Monitor shows cpu usage at about 40%.
When hitting one key to play a note, sound is all distorted and cpu usage goes up to 99% immediately and the indicator shows buffer underrun.
Even after the key is released and the sound has faded out the cpu load in Legacy Cell shows 99% (Activity Monitor 52%, key pressed or not).

Increasing the latency time to 20 ms decreases idle cpu load to 44%, playing one note shows 78%. But when releasing the key and letting the sound fade out the cpu load goes right back up to 99% with buffer underrun indicator lighting and noise heard in the last part of the sound. No matter how I set the latency I get this problem.

This is really frustrating for me, has anyone got some advice?
What latency setting is common?

This is my first try with a software synth, and I see why I've alvays been a hardware man.. Crying or Very sad
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JingLi wrote:
Got my Macbook Pro today, 2.5 GHz, 4 GB ram, running OSX 10.5.2.

Installed Korg Legacy Collection v 1.1.10.

But isn't that an old, PPC-only version? You need the UB version to run on an Intel Mac. Running the PPC emulated version will give you dreadful performance, as you've seen.

You need to upgrade your copy - I can't remember which was the first UB version, but the current version is 1.2.2 (which is not a free upgrade, as it contains the Mono/Poly). Although you might be able to get a 1.2.2 of the non-Mono/Poly version - not sure, the list of updates at korguser.net is a little confusing...

Edit: Yes, 1.1.10 is not a UB, and hence won't work well on an Intel Mac. You need to upgrade the the Syncrosoft-ed 1.2.x version to work on Intel Macs...
JingLi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see...
Yes, korg user net is a little confusing. It says the latest upgrade is 1.1.10. I have to go the the korg user net shop to find the upgrade to 1.2.x which is intended for intel-macs.
And that means I have to get a dongle. And THAT means I will not get any good sounds before easter holiday has ended Crying or Very sad

But thanks for the help Very Happy
AdamantVision

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the update I downloaded for the KLCDE was for universal binary (and was marked free for owners) and also paid $15 extra for the supposed universal binary of the original KLC (MS20/polysix) and it suffers the same problem. I've got them running on an intel mac but with no improvement after the update. I'm very disappointed that the upgrade seems to have done no good.

*EDIT: On second attempt, it seems the KLC works just fine in standalone but in combination with my VST host (Tracktion 2) is where it falls flat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: