Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looping Audio With Kaoss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjiboko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Looping Audio With Kaoss Reply with quote

Hi. I am reasonably new to the whole looping audio thing and have had my kaoss3 for about 4 months now.

If i want to loop some audio but i dont know the tempo, for example a beatbox loop that just came into my head, how do i loop it perfectly without any click. If i was making a beat on my drum machine, it gives me a click so i know where i am in relation to timing and bars. Kaoss doesnt do this. Also, the kaoss doesnt have any stop buttons so i cant stop the playback when i want without hitting all 4 pads at the same time. This is crazy, is there no easier way to do this?

Thanks for your time, Benji Smile
Zedius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the drum presets as click tracks. They work really well.

I don't understand what you mean by having to hit all 4 pads at the same time... you mean only if there are 4 samples playing right?

The slider on the left is the master volume for the samples, I believe. So you could slide that down very fast.
benjiboko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean. . .

if i have 4 samples/loops playing back all at the same time and i have the kaoss in sync with other midi devices, when i hit stop on the other midi devices, the kaoss continues playing as there is no 'stop' or play button on it for playback of samples.

In order for me to stop my song effectively i have to simultaneously hit stop on my midi devices and hit the 4 sample pads to turn them off.

The annoying thing is that they just continue to play in the background. If i want to bring them back in with another song but all in sync i would have to align them. It all seems a bit too complicated to do something that should be simple?

Thanks, Ben
Zedius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying now, but can't offer a solution (due to lack of experience). There is probably a work-around though... someone else might know.

As far as continuing playing in the background goes: you have updated your OS to 2.0 right? This should allow you to set your loops to repeat from the beginning instead of continuing to play silently.
benjiboko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

Thanks for getting back to that. . .

What do you mean you can set the loops to record from the beginning instead of continuing to play silently?

Thanks again, Benji Smile
Zedius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean when you first buy the kp3 it automatically continues playing loops when you turn them off. It's like you're just muting them. So when you press them again, there is no way to tell where it will start.

With OS 2.0 you can choose the option to start the loop from the beginning every time. Did you upgrade to 2.0?
benjiboko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i upgraded to 2.0. How do i change that setting to do that. Sounds perfect. . .

Thanks, Benji Smile
Zedius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should search the korg site for the readme stuff. There is a whole addendum to the users manual.

This specific thing is a new option for each sample. When you press "Shift" and "A", "B", "C", or "D", it puts you in the mixer mode where you can adjust level of the individual sample right? So now with 2.0 you can also press the tempo knob button thing and you can choose different options for sample type. Sorry I can't explain better, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

You want to choose the option "3r" or something like that. Basically you've got the 4 options:

1l
2lg
3r
4rg

or something like that. "l" means loop (keep looping when the sample's turned off). That's the default. "g" is a gate option, so the sample will only play while the button's held down. "r" means reset, I guess, where it goes to the beginning of the sample every time you turn it on.

Hope you can figure it out from this. The new info is on the korg downloads section for the kp3 or somewhere. There's a lot more to 2.0 than that Smile
zalo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the pads can respond to note on/off commands

using option 4 reset gate you cant turn on the loop and release it when the not ends

sequencing wise just program your notes to be held out as long as you want the loop to play
benjiboko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. thats great. ill try all of these things. I still think its a bit of a restriction haveing to adjust your sequence to the kaoss loop. You might want to end on the downbeat, but your loop would continue playing. . . Smile
zalo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can end on the downbeat

the gate option instantly mutes the loop when it is released

so if you want to end on the down beat just extend the note length of your sequencer to the down beat (17 steps) and when the note ends your loop ends

not working around the loop

working with it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: