Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazlover-Feb-(08)- Senora en Blanca
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Jazlover-Feb-(08)- Senora en Blanca Reply with quote

This is what I have for February, and as you can tell, I am not real happy with it yet. I threw together a new intro tonight, and the last finale must under go major audio surgery. If it were not for OSAM, I would hold it a bit longer before releasing it to the public.
My original intent was to make an acoustic suite. That is why the song ended up long and somewhat disjointed. I felt like I had to cut out much of the better playing in order to make the song sections shorter. I originally had a Spanish like dance section of guitar, piano and Middle Eastern drums. I erased it in order to shorten the song into a reasonable size. Once the dance section was out, I took out the intro as well leaving the song without drums. Without the drums it does sound more acoustic but without the dance section it sounds less Spanish. I was never able to connect the last section very well with the middle section. I ran short on time so I know more editing is in order.
This style is likely not your cup of tea. My hope was that the melodies would be easy to remember. This was intended to be a healing piece that would transport you to another place. I had hoped to capture the idea of a beautiful woman with a Spanish flavor. Sorry it is not complete but it is done enough to get the idea. Thanks for your patience.

Please accept this meager offering and don't let George come for me (in true Chicago fashion).

The piece is called Spanish lady in white (Senora en Blanca).

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/Senora_en_Blanca.mp3
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I had a full hour and 3 minutes before midnight.

Thats like a lifetime of time left. Shocked
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jazlover

Congratulations! The suspense was killing us!

Jaz this is a beautiful piece. You have truly combined electronica with spanish music and the blues. Superb guitar playing too. I felt the emotion and passion in the music.

Wish we could hear the bit you said you cut out. The last section does come on rather abruptly, but as you said you're still editing, I'm sure you'll smooth that over. It's very different with the lead guitar instead of acoustic.

Well done - there are so many ideas here and I'm so glad I got to hear this unusual blend of styles and sounds.

Promise you'll let us hear it again when you've done some more work on it

Regards from
Dee
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very nice piece. Very creative and experimental from a point of view. The playing was top notch. I would personally like to hear the extended version. That concept seems very interesting. The abrupt change was a fantastic idea. I just wonder if it could have been executed a little smoother...

One thought distinctly: the whole track sounds compressed to death. Sadly it robs it of some fantastic dynamics.

Glad you got the song up bro!

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted comments and then my comp froze so I have to remember what I said. First of all, absolutely beautiful. Over the top in a great way. I am amazed at your performance here and the concept and how difficult it must be to put a piece like this together. I thought the different instruments really complement each other and blend well. Clear pluck on the guitar strings and the piano is full and deep. Abrupt change there toward the end, a bit of dovetailing and that ending could be very cool, being that it's somewhat of a different vibe from the beginning. I do hope you find the time to complete this as well as, um, well, come up with another masterpiece for March. What a relief though for all of us that you've posted this under the wire. Beer
album cover
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover - oh man! You blew me away with this piece!

I agree with the comments above - we want all the parts regardless of length - unless submitting for a contest with limitations - never worry about length!, it does sound overly compressed, excellent composition and execution.

And as George said - you have now set the bar really high for the rest of your OSAM tunes!

Glad you made it - with 1hr. 3mins to spare Cool
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you are an excellent player, but every time you show us you get better and better!
Very nice tune, love this spanish/arabic feeling, and I like so much the piano sound. It's quite bright and reverbered, but it fits perfectly in the global sound.

Very good work!

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are too nice, Thanks! I am always nervous with a new tune. It will get better. Have a great day!
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
You guys are too nice, Thanks! I am always nervous with a new tune. It will get better. Have a great day!

It doesn't have to be better!
It's simply beautiful, except for the transition, and ending of course . Wink
I also wonder what the complete version sounded like.
The lead instrument in the last segment is a bit harsh, but pretty cool sounding.
I want to hear this when you complete it, pleeeeaaase!
Smile
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little in late... and I don't read the previows comment so maybe I'll make a duplicate of something written before...
the song is really great and show a mature talent in the music production for sure, what I don't like a lot is the compression you use, it kills the dynamic and you loose the acoustic effect that would be perfect in this song.
Way to go Sir!
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo, mixing is strugle for me. My whole focus is the song. It is the way my brain is wired. I am not a sound designer, or technology guy. Since I know a lot of musicians, I have a lot of access to other studios. On all my recording I have done with others, I have let others record and mix. This OSAM will wean me from that dependence. The D1600 is a great piece of equipment, I just need more experience. On the D1600 there is a function called normalize. This function raises the levels of the track. I used it once or twice. I will not be able to uncompress the tracks I normalized. Those tracks that were not "normalized", I should be able to fix.

The final copy will be better. Right now I don't even want to hear the piece. I need a break from it for a few days.
I was however having a lot inspiration with my other half-tunes last night. I hope to not be the last dog to finish the March race. As far as the dance section of the song, I have thrown it away. I would have to add it from memory. Maybe someday.....

Thanks for listening and your suggestions.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ... "meager offering" ... you have to be kidding ... there is more music here than I'll probably have in all 12 of my songs combined Smile

I really enjoyed listening to this here on a sunny Sunday morning and infusing my living room with a Mediterranean vibe. You really captured that perfectly, but added something extra to it. However, the part that really grabbed me was, IIRC, the third part where there is some great piano playing; not just that very dextrous playing but really musically beautiful too.

Mixing is a struggle for you, maybe because you are so able to assign so much of your brain power to creative/musical workings, get so much into that zone, that you are not able to easily switch modes over to more techy thought processes. If that is the case I'd recommend mixing in separate session (on a different day even) when you're not playing/composing.

Did you read that study that just recently came up where they found that whilst jazz musicians are improvising the self monitoring part of the brain is turned off in favour of the bit that's able to just freeform. When in that kind of state you're just playing and not even really listening to it, you're broadcasting. Made for fascinating reading and reinforced this idea that the brain is very modal, it's either focussing on one thing or another and very definitely in a zone. I find it useful to think about those things, when we are all having to wear so many hats (composer, arranger, producer, engineer, performer ...) but only have one head to put a hat on Wink

Impressed Cool

Daz.
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, because I know a little about your company,....the forums you do....your endless technical knowledge, I feel like I do so very little. I know you hate it if I talk about all you do. but dude you seem very succesful with the tasks you touch. I see you really making a difference in peoples lives. I am still trying to even find my place with music. I know I have a strong connection with music. I always have since I was small. Therefore, I am very pleased that you enjoyed it. From my stand point I will never be able to do for you, like you have done for me thru this forum and the Karma forum. In your debt.

The article you speak of is interesting. I only know that I shouldn't try to chew gum and walk. So I must be able to easily shut down vast areas of my brain. You remember Cnegrad, now he was the real deal. We should ask him. He is a humble Jazz Master. When I completely dropped music for 14 years or so, I gave up the chance to do something big with my "young" skills. I know that there is some process where the "real" musician steps out of the music and becomes the singer. Where the player is totally focused on what he is saying in his solo. I find that if I have played a piece thru once or twice it is much easier to express myself in the solo. I guess that I have to do that, in order to have the courage to let go of something else. The brain is an amazing machine.
unimon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: FEBRUARY Reply with quote

Jazz,
I listened to this again this morning while riding a launch out to work.
You brought to mind some of the images of Cuba that I watched in Godfather
Part II the night before- I certainly has a Latin feel. Beautiful work! You are setting a very high bar for the rest of us.
-Regards
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
Lorenzo, mixing is strugle for me. My whole focus is the song. It is the way my brain is wired. I am not a sound designer, or technology guy. Since I know a lot of musicians, I have a lot of access to other studios. On all my recording I have done with others, I have let others record and mix. This OSAM will wean me from that dependence. The D1600 is a great piece of equipment, I just need more experience. On the D1600 there is a function called normalize. This function raises the levels of the track. I used it once or twice. I will not be able to uncompress the tracks I normalized. Those tracks that were not "normalized", I should be able to fix.

Thanks for listening and your suggestions.

Hi jazlover, I can assure you that this is a great sounding track, only that particular thing about compression is the problem, all the rest is simply perfect. Just a note (I don't know how it really works on the D1600, but this is how things are called by audio technicians): normalization is a process that amplify a track untill it's peak (the highest value in the track) reach a point, usually -3 or 0; the effect you hear is a higher volume, nothing else. If you apply the "normalize" function many time to a track, the second, the third and so on time won't affect the audio anymore.
The compression is a different effect, that squeeze the dynamic of the sound so that you can make the lower volume notes higher and keep the higher volume notes at the same value. This is used to compress the dynamic of an instrument or the whole mix (ask Master Diego about this) to gain higher "volume" without clipping.
Maybe you use a compressor or a limiter while recording?
Regards, Lorenzo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: