Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mar - georgeinar - So I'll Say Goodbye-stop your sobbing mix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - I am not going to read everyone else's comments first this time.

George - This might be your best song yet! I know I know I said that for your Feb. tune - those clanks and clinks really created a thematic atmosphere .

This tune is much more sophisticated. This tune is filled with so much to feast on I don't know where to begin.

Okay, lets start at the beginning - Love the intro - wonderful soft hissy Efx, love the piano run - and your signature super punchy drums, and a reverse fade - then comes the whats reminiscent of 80's synth epic sounding productions. Cool melody voice (not sure what it is) - okay I think there are a couple different ones in there. Sections transitions - bass hook nice bass line / sound! I like your chord changes to get back around. Nice walk on down - segway after 4:00. I hear some instrument echos to the lyrics - nice integration. That is one of the elements that makes this tune great - delicately woven in voices! So do you consider your vocals in this tune talking instead of singing? The first time I listened I had to strain a couple of times to make out the lyrics - but that seemed to go away in subsequent listens. Maybe because one speaker is closer to me than the other. Of course - your lyrics are always entertaining / enjoyable.

And L O V E the ending - man that was soo cool!!! Umm .. I think it got cut off during the fade though.

Okay - now I'll read the other posts:

Yes - you raised the bar - I feel unworthy.

I can definitely hear a guitar melody in there.

I guess I didn't get the memo either Wink

Yep - this is now my favorite tune from 2loose!
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Who, I do blush here. I thought you would dig that bass line, or I should say bass lines as there are 2 basses going on. The story is when I attempted to do an arp program on the bass I accidentally had a synth turned on also so when I pressed the G I got a whole echoey vibe going on along with the arp notes, so I took that accident and made it the basis for the song. I'm glad you took the time to listen to all the little tricks and audio techniques I buried in there, it probably takes a few listens to catch them all as I spent quite some time playing around with counter melodies and notes that echo the emotion of the spoken word. I felt like this, hey, as long as your sequencing and can plan every note, and as long as it's slow enough to have a lot of space between the notes, then each part should be accurate and deliberate and precise. We were discussing with Ellll about not sounding like a computer, well here I wanted it to sound like a computer for this genre. And if it's done right it can also be beautiful, I just had to really nail it. Thanks for such a complete description of your feelings here. It does make it all worthwile when people enjoy your music.
album cover
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to listen to this!

George I think this song should stay as it is vocally. Having said that I'm of course curious to hear it 'sung' too. But this spoken word is really your style and actually conveys a lot of emotion. I get that sense of resignation and drained feeling that goes with the end of a relationship.

All the work you put into the production has really paid off because the sound is really beautiful, so many ideas here all woven together. I'm so pleased that I have now heard your electro ballad! Please write some more songs like this!

Many of you talk about "industrial" sounds...........could anyone explain this? (thanks Smile )

Regards from
Dee
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by Dee on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industrial sounds Dee...just what it sounds like. Sounds of industry...deep metal clanking, steam swishing unexpectedly, scrapings and scratchings of an unholy alliance of sweat and steel, skillfully placed together and organized into music. Of course there is more to it, but that is a start.

Jon- no longer a part of the Industrial revolution Laughing

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-hah another Idea moment for me! Now I get the 'clinks and clanks' that Dr Who mentioned.
Thanks Jon.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee, I hate to too my own horn, but my Mines of Mars is filled with those swooshing sounds etc. It's about working in the Mines so it fit to put in some sounds of an industry in motion.
album cover
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to this for the first time here and I am glad I did. Yesterday something happened at work that really lit my fires. I was still feeling very annoyed this morning about it and finding it very difficult to let it go. I decided to take a little surf whilst my computer was busy building code, and I powered this up. From the get go I found myself just totally distracted and getting into it. This is just a great piece in a whole bunch of different ways ... I found myself just really wanting to listen to it and got such a kick out of it (a couple of times!). I actually feel a lot more cool headed now, even enthusiastic.

Okay, I appreciate this is not traditional critique, but I thought that relaying my experience pretty much says what I want to say about this for the moment.

Daz.
Pecca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so tastefully done! So much variety and complexity in it, yet everything makes sense and comes together in a great way. The transisions are very good and well thought through. Chord progressions are superb. You paint the song with a lot of colors and they match to produce a great picture, nicely framed, boxed & delivered !

I´ve actually listened to this one a few times now, not only today, to build me a better perspective on it. Initially i had a hard time to "melt" all the impressions it gave me. Too much at first, but as i´ve listened to it it is a really well produced and intelligently laid down song.
Impressive
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand how this song soothed Daz's mood - there's something about the tone of the voice, that unemotional-yet-emotional feeling that George manages to convey.

Had another listen to "Mines of Mars"....yip now I get those industrial sounds. Heard them before, just didn't think of them as "industrial".
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just so please that this departure of mine from my grungy alternative stuff has caught on so successfully. My sister has it on her myspace, my co-worker who never really comments on my music, caught it by accident while listening to another song on my mp3 player and was hypnotized by the beat, she said. People who don't listen to slow smooth stuff have said this stands out as different. I'm wondering now what I could do for a new song which would incorporate some of the best of this and be yet a fresh new song. Maybe I'm finding a different style that also works for my musical abilities. After all most cds have both fast and slow songs on them, why the heck not? I do really appreciate all your wonderful words here. It was such a risk for me, not having done a "serious" toned song before, usually there's some comic element or some punky/jazzy vibe. I guess it did help when I first got my TS that I did some covers of Beatles songs and Bridge Over Troubled Water and such tunes just for practice. Very helpful to do that, I'd say as then you're not concerned with composition but learning how to blend your various synth sounds.
album cover
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about this George is not the just the mood (as set by the melody/lyrics) or the well executed beat, but the amount of space in there that creates a real atmosphere. It's difficult to explain, but it's kind of immersive ... my comments weren't supposed to be it's nice and soothing, but that it was so captivating generally. With a great mix, with that "space", the song seems more like looking out the window looking at a whole live scene, rather than a narrower less open mix that makes you feel like you're just not seeing a whole scene but maybe just that tree out in the back yard. I think that element makes a big difference and trying to fold that into your other quite different songs might be interesting. Ambient Industrial ... LOL

This piece ticked all the boxes, I enjoyed it, I felt it, I want to steal stuff from it Wink

Regarding lyrics, I tend to find that one thing that really upsets me as a listener is when some one has struggled to get a word to fit the meter and rather hacked the word in, singing it in an awkward way. That really didn't happen here and having started to writing my own first lyrics myself I really have some appreciation for people that can do this well and have the words flow in a musical way. I listened closely to that out of curiousity as much as anything else, I am interested to see how others do that.

Sometimes the vocal line seems to sit a little above and outside the song (in part because of the space you've created) and I think that pushing the vocal back a little in the mix would help in some places, but also (maybe) ensuring a vocal line is going through the same reverb that everything else is being sent through to give the effect that everything is in the same space. I don't offer that thought authoratively, by any means, but was one technique I learned whilst working with a vocalist this year.

Daz.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That space thing is a challenge I've been considering for quite some time, concerning doing my more grungy or alternative stuff. I really like certain aspects of industrial but hate other aspects of it. One thing I do like is when it sounds really huge and echoey, yet very controlled and smooth. So maybe I'll try this. I'm going to do more of these slower ballady things now that this ones been such a hit. I wasn't sure if I could pull off this style. So I'll probably do at least one more for my next cd.
album cover
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George, sorry I haven't been in 'till today.

This is IT and the rhythm elements really are what I like!! I can simply say, "I" can't tell any probs...and I say again..this music of yours gets constantly better. You are bound to hit the big times if this keeps up!!

Just Love It!!!!

Best Regards, ellll Rolling Eyes
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elll, you've believe in me all along, and trust me when I say that means a lot, as I continue beating out these songs I do believe that one day something will catch somewhere. Thank you for the support. It's what I come to these forums for.
album cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: