Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improvement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pecca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altho i´m not a part of OSAM, i like to listen to the work you make. Sometimes i comment aswell.

Regarding lyrics, i seldom give feedback on that (on purpose).
Reason is that my emphasis on listening is on the musical effort. Vocals i may comment on, but seldom the content of the lyrics. I´m not sure why. Perhaps that personal lyrics can direct an audience more than just the effort of the music itself. Words are powerful.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K....but I am in trouble here,

So, the straight stuff for a person that is dead tech-wise...Right now I am listening to an album that I was asked to review for a church, ..and this amp is failing, as well as the eq, it seems to me..

So in simple words, without giving me much choice to fight with..(thats why I haven't DONE anything yet...), tell me what to buy to HOOK UP to the comp. to use my keyboard already sequenced as usual,...to record on a program, for use like turning into the mp3 and sending it here...

THAT IS...

What takes the sig. from my keyboard.... and amps, mixes, eq's, whatever, and then puts it in the computer for preparing to send??? And why do I want "firewire" (I am not burnin' through the lines with my stuff...but I can afford it if there is a reason...)!!, Like the M-Audio several mentioned, for example...which one do I buy? and the most simple possible hook-up for me...?

I will take my answer in any form.... Confused Rolling Eyes John (ellll) Rolling Eyes

P.S. What the amp is doing...If I don't leave it on all the time, it makes little low-level noise in the background..mostly left..., when I turn it on and start playing.. and if I leave it on all the time tho', it starts soundin' dull.!!.??
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A separate post on Pecca's observation....,

I agree in some ways. As I said...I am afraid of lyrics, ...but I sometimes wonder why we don't do just simple comments or maybe questions, if something seems unusual...None-the-less I agree it may in fact, be too personal to work with...

In the end however, a few quick looks tells us that there is SO VERY MUCH in poetic liberty on the web...from old fashioned poetry to rap lyrics, and MUCH of it is not set to music; it is just something someone wanted to say...People fight to get their poetry read.., probably even more than many try to get their music heard....

We NEED to recognize those efforts for their extreme emotional creativity ....seems to me, at least at times..I would LOVE to hear more comments on this..It is a part of my life I seldom let anyone see....

John ellll Rolling Eyes
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I am not understanding what you are asking, because I know that you know how to record your keyboard into your computer: 1/4" stereo "Y"ed out of keyboard into adapter for 1/8" in stereo to your Line In on your soundcard.

Are you looking to do something beyond that?

A pro card is simply going to give you less noise than your regular sound card, and usually additional I/O options. If you are not multitracking within your computer yet, there is no real need to upgrade or change your method much.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are doing something very special here, this isn't just post and run.
I'm nowhere near ready to comment on lyrical content, I'm hearing so much creative writing - it's at another level to where I'm at.

Getting back to John, I listened to March earlier on the laptop, but I wanted to listen again at home, and that's now.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my need to lyrical comment is a hold over from my creative writing days when we were told constantly to show, not to explain. To include colors and sounds and textures in your words. To use strong words that are not too cliche, etc. And I use these techniques to write my spoken word poetry to music style. I guess other writers would spot those techniques, I just miss those kinds of comments I used to get during my writing classes.
album cover
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an area that I find really hard to work in, although I taking so much from those who do.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon...so why am I using this old amp at all???,

Except to use tapes and another CD unit I have...and a VCR...but in fact the comp. does all that...My set-up is just a holdover from the days when I went to cassette and reel tapes for different churches, and had no comp. hooked up at all..

But I still like the unit in front of me, so maybe what I need is a mixer of some kind...where I can run in, for ex...an old Vin. turntable, and play along on the keyboard, or any other source for that matter, and the grandson would plug in his guitar at times and use it...We have played a "little" together...but he is on a diff wavelength....And I can control functions from the front panel with real knobs...

So..I will try it in direct first..as you outlined above...If I could do better with an outboard unit let me know...

My Regards, John ellll Rolling Eyes
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a prob. this time,

But I cannot seem to get the idea of what you are all doing..or talking about....

Is it possible I am just that much behind in sound production? ...I think probably so...!!! If necessary, I am gonna get the guy I know from the mus. store to just come and set me up and show me what to do Shocked

Tell me what you are hearing on my song, and let me try to fix it please Smile Smile !!! I am just really confused now...

Regards, John Rolling Eyes
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellll, I think having someone come by could be the best thing. It's like the Geek Squad or something. Sometimes I wish there were someone who could show me in person some of these things too, as it would save hours of confusion sometimes.
album cover
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
When I first decided to use the PC for recording, back when I used Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 3, (I now use Sonar 7 Producer Edition), I was completely overwhelmed, then I realized it was mostly fear of the unknown, a simple matter of routing signals, and getting to know the software.
I'm now very comfy with Sonar, and actually help friends get up and running, but the single most helpful thing was getting rid of the intimidation factor.
I don't sequence within my keyboards, but if you would like for me to try and help with the Computer recording stuff, I'd be very happy to do that.
Regards,
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
...but the single most helpful thing was getting rid of the intimidation factor.

Absolutely ... this marries up with my rambling about being to write songs, by simply letting of go of the thought that you couldn't. It's difficult to do, I know ! So I admire anyone who can take that philosophy and run with it.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks to all!!!

I AM getting a little help, but it is for me, REALLY removed from my lifetime experience, so we will just have to see.

i STILL must think in terms of each note, even when just playing for fun, and I can play "with" anything and replicate, (but not completely "duplicate"), most anthing on the "keyboard" so it just seems very foreign to me to use the computer that way...

I assume you simply use a program as mentioned, and play into it...for example, something as simple as Kristal or Audacity or as complex and expensive as Sibelius in its commercial and professional forms...Hard for me to come to terms with.

ARE YOU ALSO suggesting that even the Oasys hasen't a good enough sequencer???

If so, then the implications for music are just very far removed from what composition has always been to me...

I strill believe I may lose more than I gain..Remember, the specific things I write, like the string ensemble things can be picked up and played by an instrumental group by reading the music. In other words if it is for the sound, thats a big help, but for composition, piano realization of scores is still a good way to work..

A reminder...I haven't said anything for a few years....I DON'T do the Classical forums for reasons...(stuffy/elitist etc...) but that is probably where I should return...I was in one in the past...but the competition and the "mines better that yours" attitude killed me... A few women were given a hard time...and thats when I left...

However, I will try some more here..if it's O.K....I DO have progs. for computer on the way...and we will see what I am able to do. I used and messed around on them at the college I work at some...but I never had time there to really find out what they were all about...I just did what someone told me to do for whatever was going on...

Thanks to all for your interest..and I WILL not dominate the conversation any more..promise!!

John ellll Rolling Eyes
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I think one thing that has not really been stated to the point here: nothing really has to change on your end for you to use a computer for your music.

Now if that seems like an odd statement, here is why it is not-

You hear an idea in your head. Then you play the parts into your hardware keyboard sequencer. One punch of a button and your arrangement gets played back.

The same holds true with a computer, except you have opened a new door of opportunities. The ONLY problem with recording on a computer over a keyboard workstation is that you won't know when to quit. You will be able to stack and stack everything you hear in your head into infinite tracks with no limitations of voices; something you can't do in your 01/W. If you hear 12 part bassoon on top of 44 violins, with 6 flutes and 3 oboes...so be it. You would play those parts the exact same way you would into your hardware sequencer. Then press play and 'BAM', the whole thing comes back to you. Not just parts or pieces. Should some special effects need to be added, you are not limited to your keyboard's effects.

In other words, if you have figured out how to record into a sequencer as detailed yet archaic as the 01/W, a piece of recording software should be cakewalk (no pun intended) for you.

For those of us who grew up on keyboard sequencers and are now on the computer...ask ANY of us...we are never looking back. The capabilities and infinite possibilities are too great to think of much else.

Again what needs to be said, and all I am trying to say is: it is just as easy as what you are currently working with. In fact, for me, I can HONESTLY say, it is more musical to work with my tracks on my computer than on three lines for a view display and a few buttons on my keyboard. I can see everything that is going on and can target instantly any issue or problem.

I KNOW you can too. The leap is not so great brother. Join us. Very Happy

Solo

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Well, I have been kinda keeping up with what you and others are doing, and I see that the possibility is indeed there...

You have been kind to take the time to encourage me...and I WILL try to get it done...promise.!! Give me a bit to make up my mind of what I need to accept as best for me...BUT I may have questions if I ever start.....

Thanks for your interest!!!! John..(ellll) Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: