Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX/ESX and tempo matching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harvestein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: EMX/ESX and tempo matching Reply with quote

Right, 2 questions that you prob get all the time.

1: I understand the differences between the two models, i know all the specs. I simply just cannot decide which one to buy first. I plan on getting both in due course, but if you were me would you rather have the synth abilities or the sample abilities? I could live with the pre-set samples on the EMX for drums, as i have records and a crap drum machine i could play over, but am i making the wrong decision? How easy is it to make a decent melody on the ESX? Im really asking you to make my mind up for me here.......

2: The tempo matching, my intention is to play over mixes and beats with friends at gigs etc, maybe plugging the booth output into the korg, my worry is that im gonna constantly be fine tuning tempos with the master tempo and be more concened with that than actually producing good sounds. Is the tempo locking from audio spot on or shaky?

Advice very much appreciated, this really is keepin me awake at night. Very Happy Its a lot of cash for me to be paying.

p.s this is my first post.
harvestein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be worth pointing out i play a lot of dance, but i also play break beats and scratching etc. Hence why i want both. But to play at gigs it would be mostly dance back beat. I was also wondering if the EMX is better for bassline production, which i assume it is.
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering almost the same thing. let me tell you what my conclusion was.

I want to use the ESX for DJing, so it needs to be in sync. now, I use Traktor on a macbook, so one possibility would be to connect the booth output to the ESX like you suggested, which might be unreliable though since the auto-detection isn't perfect. the better idea would be to use a MIDI interface to sync the Electribe to Traktor's (in my case) MIDI clock. I don't know if you use a computer or other equipment, but you will definitely want to look into the whole MIDI clock business and connect whatever equipment you or your friends have with MIDI cables to sync them.
harvestein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think im set on the EMX first, i like the ESX but i really want a shot of that synth system. Smile

I thought about syncing it with a laptop then to the decks, but it kind of defeats the reason im buying the emx in the first place. Sad I was hoping i could just plug it in and jam. People dont like to see laptops at gigs really, i dont want to be the 'laptop guy'. Not that i have a problem with laptops, would just rather stick to hardware on its own. I may have to though if the tempo lock isnt that great. I am planning on getting more MIDI equipment for playing, but at the moment it was just an addition to the DJ system.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emx has auto bpm scan. you're set.
harvestein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know, but so does the djm-600/900 pioneer CD-J's and multiple other devices and the locking is cr*p, always drifts about. Do you use it much? Is it pants or not?
I take is 'scan' means it synchs the beat with each beat that come in, rather than just setting the electribe tempo to the average reading (inaccurate) on the input, which is my fear.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok first off it's constantly scanning so it does try to adjust back and fourth. It's not very easy to adjust to break beats but 4x4 tracks are a breeze.

Any gear that has auto bpm scan will drift over time. That's why you have to keep readjusting it.

There's no other way arround it. Unless your dj is a lap top dj with ableton Wink
harvestein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound. Cheers for the help. Im buying the MX then........time to get the wallet out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: