Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

emx drum hits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr.s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: emx drum hits Reply with quote

I was thinking it must be possible to replace the pcm drum sounds... somehow.

I bet korg have the know how to flash the chip or whatever you do.

They should have made this possible from the start and also filters for drum parts
zalo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it probably would be less work to just buy an esx
reddone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah , KEEP that mx ... but , u could try gettin an old MKI esI sampler ( which i use n put thru the mx tubes , it sounds AWESOME ) and assign ur mx n es1 so that the mx triggers the drums on es1 , for unlimited drums/sounds that can all be triggered from emx1 . Kinda like an esx0.5 ... lol

the mx has great synth sounds ( although drums a little limited) and when u hav an es1 running thru the tubes beleive me , u wont regret that purchas mate Wink
musikmachine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddone wrote:
nah , KEEP that mx ... but , u could try gettin an old MKI esI sampler ( which i use n put thru the mx tubes , it sounds AWESOME ) and assign ur mx n es1 so that the mx triggers the drums on es1 , for unlimited drums/sounds that can all be triggered from emx1 . Kinda like an esx0.5 ... lol

the mx has great synth sounds ( although drums a little limited) and when u hav an es1 running thru the tubes beleive me , u wont regret that purchas mate Wink

hmmm...do i need another drum machine....hell yes!!! Very Happy

Have you got any demos of the es1?
reddone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont hav any demos recorded , but im battling this Hypenotica guy on soundclick and will hav atune up in a day or two . I'm using my es-1 for drums and the odd synth hit / vocal . I find that using "recycle" is perfect for chopping up hits n stuff into 1/2 1/4 1/3 .. and so on , then just put em on a mem card and in the es-1 Very Happy

U should get an idea from my tune how the es-1 sounds thru the mx from that ... but i'll jam u some of my jungle / dnb stuff n send u the link to download the wav/hi-qaulity mp3 .

P.s. the guys tune is really good , so i dont expect a win , but i love nu-skool-breaks so i'll give it my all .

Will send link 4 demo asap mate Cool
anselmi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents about it...

if you can save a bit more and get the ESX instead of the ES1
the ESX is more ANYTHING than the ES1

you got (deep breath now) : better sound, the tubes, more RAM, multimode resonant filter for each drum/synth/loop part, modulation generator, more parts, 2 synth parts, 3 FX instead of 1 with more FX each, better sequencer with mute hold, 8 bars long, much more motion sequences, the stretch parts and surely much more than I can remember now...
reddone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm ... eh , well all u hav to do with the es-1 is run it thru the "audio in" on the mx synth section and u hav all that anyway , almost , at a fraction of the cost . I'd never by an esx cos of the above reasons.

Dispute it all u like but to ME all the esx has that i'd like is the keyboard part ... an es-1 processed thru an mx is almost the same as an esx .

Esx is fine , but an mx & sx just isnt worth the money to me . Sure the sample qaulity may be better , but for drums es1 mkI kicks it thru an mx , for sure .

I'll show you soon Wink
anselmi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddone wrote:
mmmm ... eh , well all u hav to do with the es-1 is run it thru the "audio in" on the mx synth section and u hav all that anyway , almost , at a fraction of the cost . I'd never by an esx cos of the above reasons.

Dispute it all u like but to ME all the esx has that i'd like is the keyboard part ... an es-1 processed thru an mx is almost the same as an esx

if you like the ES-1 then be happy, man...it´s your life, music and machine!Very Happy

I´m not here to discuss about personal choises at all...I respect all ways of thinking and work...

I think anybody could make excellent music reggardless of the tools..electribes, SPs or water-filled bottles...and If you got something good to show I really want to hear it!

BUT there´s some things that are not opinions at all,
They´re just facts...technical facts indeed :

to process a ES-1 through a EMX isn´t the same as using a ESX at all

the SX has a SAMPLE-OSC -> FILTER -> AMP and modulation section FOR EACH of the drum parts, not as a global or just one part processing as you get if you porcess it through the MX

this is a huge difference...maybe not for your workflow, but the idea is to show the people who ask for technical details the real thing

then you can add that due your music/workflow/wahtever you don´t need it at the point that it´s the same to have an ESX or an ES-1

also, in the ESX you got the motion sequences, the 3 FX processors and all the things I listed before

this makes the 2 machines way different
If this difference worth the difference in money is another issue...just a more personal stuff
zalo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to just point out that i never said to get rid of the emx

i love my emx and i dont see a reason to get rid of it anytime soon

im saying the emx/esx combo is what was meant to be

every store that i have seen floor models for both boxes they have always been midi'ed up together for the demo

having seperate tubes for each is also a big thing

right now im pre esx (i plan on getting one soon) so i have been sampling my drums onto the kp3 then cranking the tube gain for the synth parts on top

seperate control of parts is always a plus
reddone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sure , overall if u are t buy a sampler to use on its own esx is the correct choice , but what i really was gettin at is that for a small price u can expand ur drumset a fair bit and it can still sound great .

I dont doubt the esx at all , its just that 4 anyone who owns an mx i think that shelling out for an esx MAY be unneccessary depending on musical needs Very Happy ... phew , that should clarify it a bit more

its all good Wink
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddone wrote:
i dont hav any demos recorded , but im battling this Hypenotica guy on soundclick and will hav atune up in a day or two . I'm using my es-1 for drums and the odd synth hit / vocal . I find that using "recycle" is perfect for chopping up hits n stuff into 1/2 1/4 1/3 .. and so on , then just put em on a mem card and in the es-1 Very Happy

U should get an idea from my tune how the es-1 sounds thru the mx from that ... but i'll jam u some of my jungle / dnb stuff n send u the link to download the wav/hi-qaulity mp3 .

P.s. the guys tune is really good , so i dont expect a win , but i love nu-skool-breaks so i'll give it my all .

Will send link 4 demo asap mate Cool

Cheers!I found some demos on youtube and like what i hear.How fast it for loading samples and getting something going?At a fractio of the cost of an esx it looks like a good solution for adding extra drum sounds to the emx..

You've reminded me i have a soundclick account,i've gotta start putting some music up there,don't know if i'm quite ready for a battle though Laughing

Good luck with the battle!
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: emx drum hits Reply with quote

mr.s wrote:
I was thinking it must be possible to replace the pcm drum sounds... somehow.

I bet korg have the know how to flash the chip or whatever you do.

They should have made this possible from the start and also filters for drum parts

I like the drums of the emx.Big and chunky Twisted Evil

I agree with the others about adding something to complement the MX that loads samples though Smile

Have you thought about upgrading the tubes?Think thats going to be my next purchase ..
mr.s

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that i dont own any electribes right now. I did have both sx and mx but sold them 2 years ago to invest in a computer and software - and to allow me to fully concentrate learning them.

Im shopping for a used mx right now though. I think as a midi controller its just what im needing and also the step sequencer is so much better than a mouse. And just to boot it up without turning on the computer, for sketching ideas/patterns its perfect.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.s wrote:
I should add that i dont own any electribes right now. I did have both sx and mx but sold them 2 years ago to invest in a computer and software - and to allow me to fully concentrate learning them.

Im shopping for a used mx right now though. I think as a midi controller its just what im needing and also the step sequencer is so much better than a mouse. And just to boot it up without turning on the computer, for sketching ideas/patterns its perfect.

Thats why i bought one plus i really liked the sound.It's got a nice bass and some wicked stabs.Love my MX!

If your in the EU i know a place that gets em,not sure how often but he came through for me.PM me if you want the details.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: