Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Fx on a synth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Changing Fx on a synth Reply with quote

Hi all,..

Anyone know WHAT specific parts of the general effect...CHORUS...that could be worked with to improve to a more "natural".. very small to small ..aud. space, on the earlier keyboards...specifically the O1W series..Chorus I (or 1)..(in other words like rate,..time, etc..., wet/dry bal etc...) I can't seem to do any good...

The orig. one is rather loose and odd sounding on many instrument combos...at least to me..

Any Help??

Regards John Rolling Eyes
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For subtlety, use a very slow chorus LFO rate, and just enough LFO depth so that it doesn't become out of tune at the highest or lowest points in the LFO. For delay time settings, very tight delays are effectively a flanger effect, whereas longer delays are more subtle (which are more ideal for sustained sounds, as it becomes less obviously processed).

I must say, though, probably more than any other type of studio processing effect, I actually find the effects of chorus quite difficult to grasp or appreciate as, given that it's often used as a stereoizer, I'm completely deaf in one ear and cannot discern the stereo/spatial effect that chorus offers, particularly so when wearing headphones. As such, most of the chorus stuff just sounds annoyingly warbley to me, rather than thickening up a sound, so I rarely use it other than subtlely as described.

Or you could use an ambience- or early-reflections- reverb, or a standard reverb where you can keep the pre-delay echos (early reflections) but shun (attenuate) the revert tail itself.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Timo,

You came in with the basics!! Seems I have seen this sort of thing from you before..and I thank you. You gave it simple, and I understand the principles mentioned...It's what I was looking for this morn...!!!

I also am weak in one ear, the left...but it is a mixed deal...I blew it out diving with a cold..(BADDD Move). years ago and it didn't heal well..but its got about 3/4 of the right, so it doesn't bother me much...I usually adjust stereo too far left for others, tho'....

I will work with the effects you mention and see if I can improve for a more subtle level...

Many Thanks!!! ellll Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: