Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MX/SX recording separate audio tracks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: MX/SX recording separate audio tracks Reply with quote

hi there,

new member here.
i was digging though the forum for
quite some time but not able to
find any answers for my troubles.

i have both sx and mx and sure- they are my darlings.

as you all know it beats the hell out of working with mouse as far as making music goes.
things are not perfect though:

my wish is to use the two boxes exclusively in the music writing process.
i am trying to figure out how to record each part in song mode separately in order to process them further on a computer.

there is the routing to 3/4 posibillity but that doesn´t really help much.
and it seems i have to set up every pattern, every part that way which is a pain.

i am interested how you guys with similar setups approach this, which mixer/interface you use etc.

i have a NI audiokotrol for now but am in market for a multichannel interface so any suggestions and ideas would be helpful.

hope the thread will be an informative one.

thanks

d
zalo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way to do this would be record one part at a time onto the computer
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i figured.
but things get complicated if you´re in the song mode.
complicated or impossible.

thats sad beacause electribes are a nifty studio tool to.

thanks for a fast reply.
appreciate it.

if anyone has any ideas, please.

i figured i route each part in question on 3/4, and do the same for all the patterns but that is time needlessly time consuming.

how do you folks handle these limitations? or is it all live only tool for you?

d
zalo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just wondering

you need every single part recorded separately for what?

i understand wanting to maybe add fx that the emx or esx doesnt have to a part or 2

but needing to have even the splash recorded on another track seems tedious

i really would like to know what your are doing via the computer that can not be done on the xtribes themselves
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by saying each part i meant to have - say - drums as a track, bass as a track, lead synth and so on...

not each hit.

i´d like to eq, compress and mix the tracks. have a polished- finished tune.
is that such an esoteric idea?

d
zalo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see,

word on the street is that getting new tubes for your xtribes is a big step is the compression and mixing sounding better on the tribes

so it might aleviate some of the need for this desire

something to look into
MagpieIndustries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have songs already written, what is so hard about soloing the drums and playing through the song while recording it to one track, then solo the bass and play it through, and so on for each track you want? I don't understand what is difficult here, perhaps you can explain in more detail what you are after?
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soloing could work but trying it i had some problems when a track for instance is supposed to be muted along the composition - then come in again at certain point.
the mutes are being overriden by the solo.

that is probably my best bet though.

thanks
m4m

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's pray for dual adat outs on the next gen, that way kiddos will use the LR outs and us pro will be able to record each part on a separate track
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm slightly confused by what ur asking but i work pretty much with an mx n fostex basic tracker and the way i'd do what i think ur asking , would be
to hav the song programmed in song mode with all parts tweaked n everything solo/muted/recorded .
Then id go back in to patterns from the song and make note of what needs muting and simply set the parts to go to out 3/4 ... but , i only hav jacks in 1/2 so whatever goes to 3/4 is muted indefinatly until its set back to go out 1/2 again . So u can set goups of sounds to be recorded to tracks ( albeit on recording after another ) or individual tracks of the song ( drums , synth lead, bass , percs .. so on ) .

I hav to say that its cool that ur aiming to use the machine in this way in order to get maximum results . This is something i rarely use at the moment as i been enjoying the benefits of good tubes , even if u still want to split things i HIGHLY recommend "proper' tubes for ur groover .... things sound much more refined Wink
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes reddone.

exactly that.
i tried your method months ago but it seemed that i have to set the part in question to 3\4 for every single pattern which is a pain when..well..working under the influence. i could be wrong tho.

as far as tubes go. isnt it possible to play the track thru audio in and rerecord it? would make sense yeah?

thanks for the replies.

d
reddone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ,yeah being under the influence can f*ck with the input side of things ...
i find it quite easy to do this kinda thing now after being persistant , but it can be time consuming although it works . Rolling Eyes

yeah so also , if u play the track back thru the audio in and re-record it u'll get another layer from the machine , possibilities with tubes that are high qaulity and the right production techniques are truly quite unbelieveable if executed correctly .

So will u run a mix of mono and stereo files or just duplicate and hard-pan both copies of a part ( L-R , giving each a stereo image ) ?

Im sure ive heard that for tunes to sound better on vinyl that mono drum tracks are more appropriate ?

but Im no expert Wink
binzi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a guess
i may be very wrong, havent tried this... but i have just turned up some information that may be usefull
anyway

panning.
the EMX is basicaly mono (or so im told) the stereo is only in effects and panning...
thus im thinking a combination of panning some tracks left, others right and combining this with assigning a different track to 1,2,3 and 4
you should be able to record 4 tracks at once... in theory
thus getting the job done in 1/4 the time

you can then split the L/R tracks and re allign them in their positioning on the computer

and as a bonus (sort of) this method means youre going to have to record 2 tracks sperately, depending on how you record the drums, so if you have any panning effects in any tracks you can record them in stereo at this stage

hope it helps/works
MS-DOS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys.

reddone -i thought i wold use use some sort of vst , like reverb or delay on the mono tracks to liven them up.some reaktor stuff too. the other stuff i'd like to record in stereo to retain the movement of the sounds which tribes do really well with motion seq.

i have to admit that i found tubes not that crucial, but i haven't really used them that controlled. i imagine i'll be wanting to use them on many tracks for some boards of canada distortion.

i've no ambition to put music out in any form but yes i do think mono drums work better on vynil. the bass thing or so i heard. and the fact that club sound systems are usually mono. but i've no idea what i'm talkin about.

binzi - that suggestion is actually the only novel approach. i thought of that but haven't tried it yet. that would mean that i have to compose things in song mode with the hardpans set which is odd, and i was thinking when using delay and other fx there has to be certain spill from L to R.

what do you think?

sadly i have no time to try anything at the moment. but this talk surely sharpens me up.

greets.

d
reddone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good DOS , good way to work ur sounds .
i must point out that those tubes you hav just are a type that ditorts n rings , so u should look for one with a sound that suits you .

My new tubes dont actually distort the soundds much , more of a nice harmonic fizzle at the highest level n nice and rich in harmonics at normal/lower levels .

a set will only cost about 30-40 bucks and the results are WELL worth the cash spent Wink

look around and see what a range in tones there are and im sure u'll find something that'll make your sounds even better than b4.

think less distortion n more rich harmonics and u'll take ur timbres up a notch . U'll be surprised at how much better pads n sub-bass sounds !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: