Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe MIDI Connection
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Electribe MIDI Connection Reply with quote

Can we please have a sticky for this topic so we can forward all the repies conserning connecting electribes to other gear. There are too many of these floating arround here and they're all too simmilar to crowd these forums. We might aswell sticky it so people can come and look at one topic and find their answer.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Also, you have to have a patch cable connected from the output of the microkorg to the input of the ESX, and set the gate on the audio in part as well to get this to work, I think this was left out of this explanation, I figured it out but it threw me for a slight loop at first.

I don't know if you want posts in here Ruso or if you are just going to add to your original post. (Like with links or whatever)

Anyways, I can delete this message if you choose, but here is the information on a ESX(master) Microkorg(slave) setup.

We should probably include how to slave an electribe to a microkorg too for any reason I guess. Not just ESX(master) everytime.

Good idea Ruso!

Here is the tip written by TRRRP. (without the audio in stuff though)

I personally used this and it worked great for me, it's a good tutorial.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

- Plug your midi cable into the microKorg "IN" socket.
- Plug the other end of the same midi cable into the Electribe SX "OUT" socket.
- Turn on the SX.
- Turn on the microKorg.
- Press "GLOBAL" on the SX. Goto "Clock" at set to "Int"(internal).
- Go down to "Midi Ch". Press 'Keyboard Part 1'. It will probably have 'Keyboard Part 1' set as 'Midi Ch 1'. To follow my lead set it to '11' instead. The actual midi-channel doesn't matter as long as the SX and the microKorg are set on the same channel. But I'll explain how to do that in a second.
- Now without switching from "Global" first press "write" twice so you save these global settings in the SX.
- Now hold shift in and press step key 15. Let go. Now you will see "MIDIUtil - Filter" on the screen. Press the flashing '15' step key. You will now see a "PCEN" on the screen with a combination of O & X. Turn the dail until you get this combination: XOXO. Press step key 15 again. You could look this up in the manual but what you just done means that you will be able to send 'CC' data(control messages such as cutoff, resonance, etc.) to your microKorg and you will be able to send note data (note on/off, note length, start arpeggiator, note number, etc.).
- Again, without switching from "Global" first press "write" twice so you save these global settings in the SX.

- Go over to the microKorg. Turn the second dial to "MIDI". Goto "Local" and set to "AUT"(automatic). Then goto "Midi Ch" and set this to '11'. Good now the SX is set-up as master while the microKorg is set-up to take clock commands from the SX. And the microKorg can be controlled from the SX 'keyboard Part 1'.
- But first without pressing anything else also press "write" twice on the microKorg so that you save these settings.

Haha, we're getting there. The fun starts to come now.. Wink

- Set the SX back in "Pattern" mode.
- Go to a microKorg patch without an arpegg switched on.
- Go to the SX and choose 'keyboard part 1' again. (make sure there is no sample selected for this 'part') Switch the 'keyboard' button on. Play some of the step keys on the SX. Wow did I really hear that? Did the microKorg play notes when I touched the buttons on the SX. (if not there is a problem but let me know).
- Use the arpegg. on the SX. Does it trigger notes on the microKorg? Cool.

That is what midi does. It allows you to control other midi gear.

Here some more advanced tricks:
- The cutoff and resonance on the SX incidently have the same CC numbers as the microKorg's Cutoff and resonance. Play notes on the microKorg. While doing that and having the 'keyboard part 1' still selected on the SX, turn the cutoff knob on the SX. Cool, it should control the cutoff of the microKorg.
- Also incidently the PAN, LEVEL, GLIDE, are all the same.
- Check the back of the manual for the microKorg's midi CC numbers. Check the back of the SX's manual to see what the default midi CC numbers are for the SX's knobs. You can actually change the midi CC numbers on the SX to match the midi CC's on the microKorg.
- So what this means is you can control the parameters of the microKorg with the knobs of the SX. Motion sequences will also work for the microKorg.
- In this manner you can program patterns on the SX and include the microKorg as an instrument on 'Keyboard Part 1'.
- If you have a microKorg patch with an arpegg the SX will trigger the arpegg when you press a note on the SX. Play with "Latch on/off" on the microKorg and the Note Lengths on the SX to work the arpegg. I could explain how this works but I think you get it now otherwise let me know.
- You could control the microKorg duophonically by setting "Keyboard Part 2" on the SX also to midi channel 11. This though would sacrifice you another Part on you SX.

Wow, i hope this is all clear to you. Let me know how you get on.
I remember the first time I controlled my microKorg with my Electribe via midi > Bliss, Joy and happiness. Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/SirCliveSinclair

SpyMace
----------
http://www.myspace.com/cosmicjetrobot
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMX/ESX to Kaoss Pad 2/3
Run a MIDI cable from the OUT of the KP-2 into the IN of the EMX. Then, set the MIDI clock on the EMX to EXT. Finally, put the clock of the Kaoss to INT or AUTO. Usually INT is the way to go, but I don't know if KPs have those. If you want them to sound in unison, make sure the MIDI channel of the part(s) you want to control on the EMX are the same value as the channel of the KP. This should allow for touch pad control of your synth parts.
Hope that helps.

credit: The Navidson Record

MicroKORG (also recording microkorg's notes are possible back to emx)
First you need to buy three midi cables. Monster Cables are the best ones.
Then hook the midi thru of the Microkorg to the midi in of the EMX. Then hook the midi thru of the EMX to the midi in of the Microkorg. Then hook the midi out of the EMX to the midi out of the Microkorg.

You'll need to enable the midi of the Microkorg. Hold down the shift key and press the 8 key, then turn the 1 knob until the display reads oFF. Then press the 8 key. That turns off internal mode so that you can use external midi.

Now hold down the shift key and press the 7 key. Now turn the 1 knob until the display reads Pr9. Press the blinking 7 key and you should now be ready to go on the Microkorg.

The last step is to go to the System Utility menu on the EMX and enable MIDI promiscuous mode for Channel 1.
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this useful thread. I have a specific question though.

I am trying to send a MIDI clock from my MacBook to my ESX via an E-MU XMidi 1x1.

the ESX recieves the MIDI clock, but it sometimes (not always though) seems to be a few tenths of a second off. I realize most programs who can send a clock can also account for the offset, but since it does not always happen, I would like to know if there is anything else I can do.

the programs I use are Traktor DJ Studio 3.2 (which allows manual offset compensation) and Garage Band (with Midi-O, a MIDI out patch, which does not allow this compensation.)

thanks in advance!
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly software is not very good at syncing up to the emx... however the emx or esx being master is very good cause it has a vary solid clock.... I must say ableton live 7 has no issues it has to be the most solid piece of software for syncing up to hardware.
Argus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Ruso. can you localize the problem though? is it the program, the MIDI interface or the ESX? unfortunately my programs can't recieve MIDI clocks as far as I know, otherwise I'd let my Electribe master it.

is there any solution other than getting Live 7 that anyone can think of? although I will eventually have to get that anyway.

thanks a lot.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argus wrote:
thanks, Ruso. can you localize the problem though? is it the program, the MIDI interface or the ESX? unfortunately my programs can't recieve MIDI clocks as far as I know, otherwise I'd let my Electribe master it.

is there any solution other than getting Live 7 that anyone can think of? although I will eventually have to get that anyway.

thanks a lot.

You sure Garageband doesn't receive midi clock?if it recieves midi in it should slave to the esx...
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I'm positive it doesn't. it only has very basic MIDI capabilities, unfortunately.

however, since there is a plugin (Midi-O) to give it MIDI out, perhaps there is one that lets it recieve a clock as well?
musikmachine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argus wrote:
yes, I'm positive it doesn't. it only has very basic MIDI capabilities, unfortunately.

however, since there is a plugin (Midi-O) to give it MIDI out, perhaps there is one that lets it recieve a clock as well?

I'm not sure,not really familiar with macs.I have used a midi plugins in the past to send midi sync to hw but not receive it.

I thought midi I/O was pretty standard these days..
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it is. but Garage Band is pretty basic and beginner-friendly in many ways, and I currently can't cough up with the currency to upgrade to Live. that's why so far, I've been getting pretty much all there is out of GB (of which there is a lot more than you'd expect).

it's a nice program nonetheless, gives you quick successes as a beginner but has some pretty nifty more advanced features too. still, nothing to go pro with.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argus wrote:
well, it is. but Garage Band is pretty basic and beginner-friendly in many ways, and I currently can't cough up with the currency to upgrade to Live. that's why so far, I've been getting pretty much all there is out of GB (of which there is a lot more than you'd expect).

it's a nice program nonetheless, gives you quick successes as a beginner but has some pretty nifty more advanced features too. still, nothing to go pro with.

buy a piece of gear that you would need, for example a trigger finger or some form of a midi controller or keyboard a lot of them will come with ableton live lite 4 or 5 or even 6.... you can pay to upgrade them to ableton live 7 for a REALLY good price. I'm talking to the full version of live 7 not lite.

http://myspace.com/audioruso
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:

buy a piece of gear that you would need, for example a trigger finger or some form of a midi controller or keyboard a lot of them will come with ableton live lite 4 or 5 or even 6.... you can pay to upgrade them to ableton live 7 for a REALLY good price. I'm talking to the full version of live 7 not lite.

that's a good idea. I don't know how much that might cost me overall, but I'll look into it. I don't really need any controller or so right now, but I'll see what's out there. trigger finger sounds nice, actually.
musikmachine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The novation nocturn should be out soon and comes with a nice bundle of software,live lite included...
4NDRW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
EMX/ESX to Kaoss Pad 2/3
MicroKORG (also recording microkorg's notes are possible back to emx)
Then hook the midi thru of the Microkorg to the midi in of the EMX. Then hook the midi thru of the EMX to the midi in of the Microkorg. Then hook the midi out of the EMX to the midi out of the Microkorg.

?

midi out to midi out?
that can't be right
and what are the thru's doing?

wouldn't it be better to use 2 midi cables
and connect
microkorg out ----> emx in
microkorg in <---- emx out
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry copy and paste from someone else....

EMX/ESX midi out -> Micro Korg midi in,
Micro Korg midi out -> EMX/ESX midi in,
MicroKorg midi Thru -> Kaoss Pad..

midi thru will take what is coming into midi in and output it directly to midi thru. it's like splitting the midi out of the emx into two so it goes to micro korg and kp

http://myspace.com/audioruso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: