Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XS7 Kurzweil PC3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjs714

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: XS7 Kurzweil PC3 Reply with quote

Fellas,
I've been on a few forums trying to decide on some equipment changes. Did anyone try the Kurz PC3x? I read it only had Programs as of now and no Combinations or Performances. Has anyone heard one?
Thanks Frank
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Little confusion about that...
What are you talking about? Kurz PC3 or Yamaha XS7?

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank, a keyboard buddy tried the PC3x and was not impressed. The VA is weak ( Radias EXB is much better) and the PCX3 ( no matter what Kurzweil marketing says) is not a sonic improvement over the previous older model

I know this is 2nd hand. Just beware of a lot of hype on the PCX3
Milter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be a long discussion Confused

In general The PC series from Kurzweil is a downgraded K-synth. They still use the same samples and modulation technique but the HW engine is much more limited. I have a PC1SE and have owned a K2500 with KDFX and a K2000. No doubt that the K series are extremely good sounding boards - especially when the VAST technology starts unfolding programming can be quite rewarding.

I am not impressed with the PC series either. The outputs are noisy and the treatment of the nice samples give a weak sonic result compared to other boards in the same price range. - This is my experience with PC1SE, I have never tried the PC3!

I have to say that the K2000 is the coolest synth I have ever had. It has sooo much Karma Cool I am going to get one again!
Spider PRO stand
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milter wrote:
I have to say that the K2000 is the coolest synth I have ever had. It has sooo much Karma Cool I am going to get one again!

Must be a different type of "Karma" you're talking about. I have a K2661 and it doesn't have the versatility of my M3's KARMA features.

Laughing
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: XS7 Kurzweil PC3 Reply with quote

fjs714 wrote:
Fellas,
I've been on a few forums trying to decide on some equipment changes. Did anyone try the Kurz PC3x? I read it only had Programs as of now and no Combinations or Performances. Has anyone heard one?
Thanks Frank

This unit is hands down the BEST sounding Kurzweil EVER!! I just updated our floor model to version 1.0 which clears up alot of glitches and adds 24 setups/combis that are amazing! Hang tight kids this keyboard is still in its developement stage! Some may say Kurzweil released it too early but if you think back to when the K2000 came out, it didnt even have a sequencer!! Hang tight Kurzweil will rock with this product and if you can get your hands on one, do soo!! Trust me you wont regret it!! BTW I have 7 in stock!! Cool I just transfered some to Sweetwater so they had some units to sell!! Razz
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we would expect from a Kurzweil enthusiast

Other more objective musicians say there is little sonic improvement with the PC3

The VA is very weak

Sorry, this is what I hear from folks I respect
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there is a little confusion... as always. In this kind of post people should separate the "sound quality" and the "samples quality". The first one is objective and you can objectively compare two models measuring noise flore, bit depth, sample rate and dynamic. The second one is purely subjective and no one can decide what is the best synth cos maybe someone could like more an old casio than a korg oasys.
Now all can I say is that the k2661 I own has the better audio quality in my gear setup, as well as the v-synth xt. Next come the motif es rack. I can't decide between k2500r, virus b and triton as the next one in the list, cos I should test them.
If we're talking about what the synth I prefer between them, I can't simply decide cos everyone of them have different sounds and features and I like them all.
I didn't tried the pc3 but I'm sure that the audio quality can be really good, but I'm not sure (at least hearing the samples online) that the rom samples are so improved over the k series... the same is for the yamaha, I never tried the xs series but from what I can hear it doesn't differ a lot from the es.
so please, I asked in the past and I still ask here, if you are talking about audio quality, please don't talk about the rom samples or there will always be a misunderstanding.
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
as we would expect from a Kurzweil enthusiast

Other more objective musicians say there is little sonic improvement with the PC3

The VA is very weak

Sorry, this is what I hear from folks I respect

True point, But, We all have our opinions! But it has been noted and acclaimed that Kurzweil has always been on top when it comes to sound quality!! Yes it may be a subjective thing, but tech awards speak for themselves!! As far a the VA goes, you people must realize this instrument is NOT DONE!! There has been very little attention put into the VA system. Just wait. Kurzweil is like a fine wine! Give it time! Wink
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally trust in Kurzweil power...
But a company made up by 4 engineers will have to work a lot to fight big names like Korg, Yamaha, Roland and so on.
Maybe it's just my impressions, but it seems they're working in a new way on old material...I can't see a big revolution in their new products, but I'm sure I'm wrong, and to be honest I would love to be deny Smile

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
frank, a keyboard buddy tried the PC3x and was not impressed. The VA is weak ( Radias EXB is much better) and the PCX3 ( no matter what Kurzweil marketing says) is not a sonic improvement over the previous older model

I know this is 2nd hand. Just beware of a lot of hype on the PCX3

Greg, Have YOU heard the PC3?? It IS a SONIC improvement. Unlike EVERYBODY else Kurzweil makes their OWN chips for SOUND! NOT for cell phones and computer, like every other synth company bastardized to work in their systems! The only other comp to do this was Ensoniq! RIP Crying or Very sad I respect what you have "heard" but please check one out for yourself. I can guarantee you will be impressed! BTW Radias does KILL the current VA. I LOVE Radias!! iI am not starting crap I just want people to understand that this instrument is NOT finished. Some may say "well why the hell was it released unfinished" to them I will say that Kurzweil has always done this, dont know why but in the end it pays off for them!! Well Most of the time! Confused
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

From numerous demos which you can find on Sonikmatter forums, PC3X is a HUGE improvement over older K and PC series, and that's undeniable because you can hear it by your own ears.
As for VA1 vs Radias - I think that even old synthesized analog waveforms and filters that we had in K series are in most cases better than what Radias offers. Even if VA1 oscillator and filter blocks are so bad (which there has been no indication of, as all technical information about them implies that they are improved, and most of VA1 demos sound simply outstanding showing it at the same level as Viruses and Nords), it's still probably possible to use older blocks from K-series for VA synthesis.
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both a PC2 and a PC3x. The PC3 sounds much better than the PC2 did, which sounded mostly better than the K2600 did for sampled instruments. The PC3X has in many ways much more power than the K2600 did - the biggest omission is of course sampling.

Go listen to it. It sounds great.
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcornishmn wrote:
I own both a PC2 and a PC3x. The PC3 sounds much better than the PC2 did, which sounded mostly better than the K2600 did for sampled instruments. The PC3X has in many ways much more power than the K2600 did - the biggest omission is of course sampling.

Go listen to it. It sounds great.

I agree!!! Just wait for the K3000!! Wink Laughing
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerzwhile wrote:
Unlike EVERYBODY else Kurzweil makes their OWN chips for SOUND! NOT for cell phones and computer, like every other synth company bastardized to work in their systems!

The quality of the sound created in a software based instrument depends primarily on the quality of the code/algorithms and samples used, not the platform on which it runs. The Triton used a dedicated custom tone generator chip, but the Oasys uses a generic Pentium IV ... does the Triton sound better than the Oasys, I think not.

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: