Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: The M1 Piano
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

M1 Piano: The Greatest Piano? or the crappiest attempt at an AP from a ROMpler?
Amazing! I can't live without it!!!
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
It's crap!!! Give me a real piano, and not this rinky dink sound...
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Huh? It sounds the same as other Pianos, no big deal
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
It's good, but I still like the JV-80 Piano more, it's not as hard, but it has more colour...
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

The_Future_One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: POLL: The M1 Piano Reply with quote

Do you love the M1 Piano? Do you hate it? Do you just think it's *another* sound?

And why does everyone know about the M1 Piano, but few people know about the 01/W EP "PianoPad1" which is still after 10 years my favorite EP sound?
The_Future_One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the lack of replies is astounding! I thought more people would give their opinion.

Well, of those that selected, I can see that it looks like the M1 Piano is not very popular at all!

I guess it must take simple minds to appreciate it, since I usually get people asking me what the sound is, and I show them the M1 Piano.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe that this is the first time I’ve seen this thread.

Anyway… I’d cast a vote… but for me, it has it’s uses only for emulating cover versions of old songs. Outside that, I don’t use it that much.

I use only the piano from Sample Assault at this point. LOL… No it’s not a sales pitch, it’s just that I do honestly prefer it for general use. The exb-pcm08 piano that’s built into my Triton is excellent, but I do find it dark and more suited to movie music than general use.

All of which is only my opinion. Cool

Sharp.
Pecca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to like the M1 Piano a lot (if you´re referring to the Triton Combi (M1 Layer Keys)
I would have voted if i had seen an appropriate alternative.
For 1, i don´t have the Roland JV-80 nor have i heard it (to my knowledge). But yes. I like the tweak alot !
Cheers / Pecca
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M1 Piano from Triton/Trinty maybe isn't the same patch you like.

Where is this M1 Piano ? if it isn't on a TRITON, why have the question here ?
Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a category that I would pick, sorry Embarassed . IMO, it is for awesome for genre specific sounds. Compared to other models of the time, the M1 piano spanks, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 01/W pro extra sample(or the xsc-3s piano/keyboard, same sample which is the 1 I use, great piano!!). As of now, I have the M1 piano multisample in my TR Rack. It doesn't sound real(M1 Piano), but it has balls.

About the 01/w piano pad ep, My God!!!! I luv that one, but I luv the piano pad2/piano pad2lp more. Man that is the sound. Both of those samples(1 and 2) are beautiful, 2 has these swelling harmonics, it's hard to explain. IMO the 01 has the best ep of that type, hands down. I love that sound. The 01 is king in my book!Smile

Sorry I couldn't be more constructive TFO. Later bro.

John
The_Future_One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About the 01/w piano pad ep, My God!!!! I luv that one, but I luv the piano pad2/piano pad2lp more. Man that is the sound. Both of those samples(1 and 2) are beautiful, 2 has these swelling harmonics, it's hard to explain. IMO the 01 has the best ep of that type, hands down. I love that sound. The 01 is king in my book!icon_smile.gif

Hey dude, I just noticed what you said here, and would like to comment.

The 01/W's "Pianopad1" is basically an FM DX7ish type sounds, in my God honest opinion it is probably the best FM EP there is, this is the sound that made me fall in love with the 01/W, and stacked with the DWGS EP the combination of the two makes you become near invincible!

Now you say you prefer the "Pianopad2" but it's not fair to categorize them in the same field, because this sound is more of a synth pad than an EP sound. I of course love it as well, but it just has a different purpose, and not my first choice for a lead sound (it would be like playing a string pad as a lead sound instead of a piano)

Some of you may notice the same names of these sounds on the X/N-series of Korgs. They are still called "Pianopad1" and "Pianopad2", but they are way different!!

What is "Pianopad1" on the post 0-Series Korgs (like the X3 or the N1) is actually the 01/W's "Pianopad2", same exact sound.

What is "Pianopad2" on the X/N-series is a totally different sound alltogether! This is the one that the Triton has, and IMO is it not as good as the 01/W's Pianopad1. It sounds more rubbery than the metallicness of the 01/W's sound, but the problem is that it's too common, since all Korg's after the 01/W had it. (Forgot to add that the T-series actually had it, then the 0-series replaced it, and then the X-series went back to the original. I'm glad they did also, because the 0-series version made it a unique sound)

Oh yeah, and would also like to thank Jerry for absolutely nothing. I ask the guy if he could get me the raw version of that sample, and all he can do is spew Korg Policy at me. Well, guess who's looking at moving away from Korg. Sorry, but that pissed me off, it's not like Korg is going to release those sounds again for profit, as not too many people really cared about them. These days everyone wants ethnic and VA sounds....
LIFECHANGER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Futureone:

Throw a Grand$$ at the MoRack...lots and lots of beautiful keyboard sounds on that baby. As for my ol' M1+ with Piano Card, I think I'll hold on to it, especially since the dawgs pissed on a few of the upper keys as I had it leaning against the wall....altho a bit sticky and clackety to hit know, the ol' tank (with lots of cards) works fine...Jerry or no Jerry!!
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I got confusing, I should have said I love the EP sound you are talking about and agree it is one of the best out there for that type, but between the two I get more use out of 2 for my music.
On a side note, what I've done OT, is replace the multisamples and have come up with some really interesting results, add some slight waveshaping on the highest velocities to make it have that nice sparkly distortion. It's one of my fav pad sounds I have developed for my 01 just experimenting with my earliest days with it. It's definitely a pad type sound, I agree with ya there. Like I said, I luv em' both they are different sounds:). I had a spare ep patch like you describe, but it wasn't with the dwgs, just piano pad1 and the loop sample stacked. By accident I was goofin' and came upon that sound, then beefed it up in the Amp keyboard low ramp a lil' bit and some waveshaping . I'd hook you up with the patch if you still had your 01. Makes the hair stand up lol.

I like the sound you speak of for eps, but whew, I don't think I would use pp2 to make a lead sound lol, dunno maybe. Lead sounds? I said harmonics but I didn't mean lead sound. You can make it sound completely different when you start using the Waveshaping and it probably could be an awesome lead sound although.

Ep sounds I have in my custom banks just because they are so good lol, but I don't use ep sounds as much. There are so many good sounds on there aren't there.

Actually some of my fav. leads on the 01 are factory presets lol. I love the combi pad and lead(just take off the distortion in the FX), and progs monolead 1 and 2(which 2 uses the loop samples of one of the eps waveshaped, ironic huh? lol). The lead in Pad and Lead is a mix of the two monoleads. I make my own sounds mostly, but some of those factory sounds are just too good to pass up lol, the combi Katmandu lol there's another one. If you've ever heard the synth design set, the WShapeLead is another incredible sound, there's a combi lead in the sequence demos that's really incredible and hard to pick out, There's some good sounds in there.

I really luv the 01's choir sounds man(among other great sounds lol), I have yet to get a choir patch out of Triton that I like as much as the huge choirs I have tweaked out of my 01s. Maybe I just haven't found it yet as I thought I liked the Triton's choirs after hearing it on a few records, dunno, I'm still workin' on it. I liked what I heard on album with Triton's choirs I just haven't found the patch yet, I'm still tweakin'Sad

I got really turned on to the 01 from listening to Vitalij Kuprij. I ended up with a totally different sound with it after working with it for so long. If you luv the 01, you'll go crazy when you hear his stuff, huge sounds. He used an 01/Wfd on all his records, only on the very very latest stuff did he add Triton to his setup, and the 01 is still used with his Triton. I'm really blown away by my new Triton Studio, but I can definitely see why some people might want the 01/W pcm sounds for the Triton. The 01/W IMO is one of the best synths ever made. I just couldn't sell one of em' man lol, I almost did, I figured I had 3, I wouldn't be missing anything, but when it came down to it I just couldn't do it. Now I'm toting around 3 01/Ws(1 Fd and 2 rs with all those cards), a Trinity Rack, and Triton Studio. I don't think I'll ever need another keyboard again lol, just the moss board and the pcm upgrades(please Korg put out more EXB pcms) Wink

Jerry has always been very very nice/helpful to me, even as I write this the dude has seriously helped me out, very cool. You just need to get you an 01 again dude, lol I wouldn't expect any company to hand out free samples of one of their awesome products. You can get one for a great price man Idea Maybe get the rack version dude, side by side, they are identical in sound/structure everything, I can tell you for sure. Same everything man, and a lot more portable. The Triton is a KILLER controller for the 01R/W(and the rack version is a hell of a lot easier to replace the backlight I'll tell ya that).

Sorry it took me so long to respond, was out for the weekend, it sucked, I couldn't take my new TS with me because it wouldn't fit in the car cause I haven't found a case and I had to use the box. I was dying to get home. Anyway, take it easy man, always good chatting with ya. I'm sorry if I got confusing before.

John
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I've got to be negative here. Of course when the M1 first came out it's acoustic piano was a marvel! (I owned the keyboard and the M1R.) But now I feel it's totally useless unless you're using it in a dance-type production where you're trying to get that "nostalic(?)" sound.

But in this world of Gigasampled, triple-striked gorgeous piano sounds, I can't imagine why anyone would have any use for the M1 acoustic piano, unless you're doing a dance production.

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
The_Future_One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a spare ep patch like you describe, but it wasn't with the dwgs, just piano pad1 and the loop sample stacked. By accident I was goofin' and came upon that sound, then beefed it up in the Amp keyboard low ramp a lil' bit and some waveshaping . I'd hook you up with the patch if you still had your 01. Makes the hair stand up lol.

I have the 01/W EP sampled on my Triton, and I mix it up with the Wavesweep Sample, I tell ya, it sound awesome!

but my favorite is still the 01/W EP (for the meat) and the DWGS EP (for the sparkle) mixed together, it's a just a rockin' patch!!

The Triton has some very nice stock EP's, but you gotta fixem up a little bit, because they sound dead from the factory. The sample data is definitely there though to make some kick ass sounds.

Funny that I was never into Vintage EP's until I heard the one's on the Triton, they rock!! even the Factory ones!! Vintage EP and Wurly EP sound great to play some blues licks!!

Quote:
I like the sound you speak of for eps, but whew, I don't think I would use pp2 to make a lead sound lol, dunno maybe. Lead sounds? I said harmonics but I didn't mean lead sound. You can make it sound completely different when you start using the Waveshaping and it probably could be an awesome lead sound although.

You misunderstood me. What I meant to say was lead, as in the main instrument you would play in a band. I didn't mean lead as in "Saw Synth" lead type sounds. Sorry about the confusion.

Speaking of which, the Waveshape on the Triton could get some awesome sounds if you knew how to use it (for those that have my CD, the "Transwav" sample is an 01/W Waveshape sound made by me! Goes to show you what the 01/W could do at the time other synths sounded like tin cans.

Quote:
I really luv the 01's choir sounds man(

the 01/W choir is the greatest synth choir sound there is!! The 01/W Patch "Ephemerals" is right up there with the M1's "Universe" I love them both, and that why I sampled them as well (the M1 Choir is also on PCM 2)

Quote:
The 01/W IMO is one of the best synths ever made. I just couldn't sell one of em' man lol, I almost did, I figured I had 3, I wouldn't be missing anything, but when it came down to it I just couldn't do it. Now I'm toting around 3 01/Ws(1 Fd and 2 rs with all those cards), a Trinity Rack, and Triton Studio. I don't think I'll ever need another keyboard again lol, just the moss board and the pcm upgrades(please Korg put out more EXB pcms)

I got rid of the 01/W because I was worried that it would kick the bucket on me, and then I'd suffer too much. So I sampled it like crazy and bought a Triton to play the samples back.

I realise it was a mistake to sell it, since I only got $500 for it, and it's a mistake that I won't make with my Wavestation.

Sadly, after the 0-series era, Korg just went down big time for me. When the Trinity came out, I was like, "this is what's got people excited?? the filters might be good, but the samples suck!!"

When the Triton came out, I bought it for the simple reason that it was a Sampler, and it was Korg. Everything else was icing on the cake.

I see now that too was a mistake, I should have invested in a nice AKAI sampler. I still might, some of them are going dirt cheap on Ebay!

Quote:
Hey Futureone:

Throw a Grand$$ at the MoRack...lots and lots of beautiful keyboard sounds on that baby. As for my ol' M1+ with Piano Card, I think I'll hold on to it, especially since the dawgs pissed on a few of the upper keys as I had it leaning against the wall....altho a bit sticky and clackety to hit know, the ol' tank (with lots of cards) works fine...Jerry or no Jerry!!

When I played with the Motif, the first thing that stroke me what the incredible stock Acoustic Pianos! They are amazing!!! But the rest is not as good and edgy for dance type music. I would love to get a MoRack, bt as this time, I'm pooling my funds together for other projects (one which is a second sample CD. I'm also considering releasing a Music CD as well)

I have an N1R that just sits here, but it has some good stuff, so I'll keep it.
If I could get an 01R/W I'd be set.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I've got to be negative here. Of course when the M1 first came out it's acoustic piano was a marvel! (I owned the keyboard and the M1R.) But now I feel it's totally useless unless you're using it in a dance-type production where you're trying to get that "nostalic(?)" sound.

But in this world of Gigasampled, triple-striked gorgeous piano sounds, I can't imagine why anyone would have any use for the M1 acoustic piano, unless you're doing a dance production.

When you gig live with other musicians, the M1 Piano can be great for cutting thru the other instruments without drowning them out.

Of course, you can't rely on it for everything, that's why I have 4 major A. Pianos I use. For the soft classical stuff, I stick with the Kurz, it's a great sound!
SLR

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!
Did I really see someone mention "Ephemerals" ??

My FAVOURITE patch of all time Cool Cool
The_Future_One

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WOW !!
Did I really see someone mention "Ephemerals" ??

Yes you did! It's a great sound! I have an Ephemerals like patch I made for the Triton, it's not 100% the same, but that's because I was stupid and I never sampled the 01/W's "Belltree" sound. The closest thing the Triton has is the "Marctree" sound.

It is also my favorite Spacy choir sound, with the M1 "Universe" coming in a close second.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a bit unfair to criticise the M1 piano. Since 1988, synths have evolved, but if you replace the M1 piano in its context, then you'll agree that for 1988 it was ground-braking stuff. That piano patch was certainly responsible for a few people buying the M1.

François
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only recently heard the M1 piano sound, and to me, it sounds synonymous with the ol' hardcore/rave scene and the whole melodic/uplifting-dance type music. Very much like the piano sounds on my MC505, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: