Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April08- Jazlover
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: April08- Jazlover Reply with quote

This is my April song. I did more experimental work this month than ever. Many of those experiments (the vocal experiments) went horribly wrong. This confirmed my belief that I should leave singing to someone else. After scrapping my last attempt, I started writing this in my head on Saturday and recorded the guitar part. Tonight I put the rest of it together. You will have to hearing me singing. The good news is that it is very short. I ask for forgiveness in advance for both (short song and horrible singing).
A few weeks ago, my family and I went mountain climbing and repelling. My oldest son is afraid of heights and not very adventurous. He amazed me by taking the lead on climbing to the top first. I wrote this song for him. He is so creative. I hope he uses his many gifts, like he took on that mountain. This song is about living life with passion. The hurried lyrics are as below. I learned a lot but I have very little to show for my efforts. I did three totally different songs before I decided to go with this one.

It’s a New Year

It’s a New Year, son
Why wait for the winds to change
Hoist your sail high above
Be moved by nature’s exchange

Look to the horizon
Hear your heart-beatings
May God be with you now
Rewrite your destiny’s readings

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=787275&content=music

There were more lyrics but after hearing the singing....I limited it to this.

Last edited by jazlover on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!!!
Emotional singing, and I love the pad sound, and the way you arranged drums...and that lead sound, it fits perfectly!

on "Horizon" I hear the compressor working too much.
Generally speaking the sound is too much "pumpgin", maybe there are some little mixing issues, but I like the overall sound!

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song is way better than you think it is, by far and away. It's beautiful and true emotion. I love it just like this. It could use more development as in intro and some expansion somehow to flush it out, but it's beautiful and I'm glad you learned so much this month. I think at least for our ears you should gain confidence in your singing. Even if you don't make American Idol status, your voice sounds very nice and what an element it adds to have sung along with this.
album cover
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said.

You underestimate just HOW GOOD this song really is! On top of that I feel your vocals are perfect for this. It gave the music what it needed. This is a beautiful accomplishment, and I think you should sing more. It is refreshing to hear so many singing...that I might just do an instrumental! Laughing

I know how you feel about vocals. I did too for so long...up until a few years ago and my first OSAM I rarely sang. But this song is TOPS!

Great percussion and nice speckled synths add flavor.

The vocal could be more out front. A few other touches on the mix and you are done. Great song again!

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOOOOOVE It,

What a georgous beginning...!!!!..; blew me away and the song needs..., as I often say of another...., NOTHING for me...!!!

It is really very near pure art...! Requires no excuse; no explanation..It truly speaks for, itself..., ; with an amazing emotional impact that is very real and more like an art song than anything, done up much as a folk tune....And it does remind my of my son...who was a mountian buff...

The singing is...perfect for this...magic....and the lyrics perfect!!!

You have put together a real bit of Top inspiration, in my opinion and it will stand with any this month...My congrats on this, and I THANK YOU for it!!!

Johnny.. Very Happy Very Happy
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, you guys are very kind. You would understand my attitude about singing if you had heard the first songs. One of them was solely vocal. It sounds like a bunch of cats crapping fishing hooks. I will have to think real hard about another singing song. Thanks again!

Diego that pad was a sound from Sharp's ..... Sample Assault. It is called ....Feel Life. It has an evolving sound (which is what I wanted). Sharp is the sample master.

Last edited by jazlover on Fri May 09, 2008 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover - you seriously under value your singing - it makes this tune - and this tune is excellent - its got feeling, pulls the listener right in - intense man!

I liked the intro - a bit short but nicely developed from the cool drum sounds to the vocal intro. Yes - the vocal whatever device jumped its level there once. Man I love the way you sing these words - perfect. Cool synth. solo voice - you always come up with appropriate voices for tunes.

I do wish it was longer - the ending needs some more time.

This reminds me of one of those rare gems one used to find on an LP ( u no - vinyl) that never got any air play.

Please repost if you work more on it Cool
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would someone classify this music as?
I am not sure what to call it.
Please be kind when you respond to the question. Angel
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already answered this...''

"Art Song".. really a classical form, but widely seen today (wrongly), as the music OF the people..(Much Irish music falls here...) with folk antecedents and ideas as well. However :

True experts would probably use only the term "folk" as true "Art Songs" usually have piano acc. ONLY...but much is looked at a little more loosely these days...and art for the sake of art is real in our "people's" music, worldwide as well..so some do use a looser deinitionf...

Johnny (ellll) Rolling Eyes
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Johnny...

When you taught music, I am sure you had some hardheaded students Brick wall you had to tell twice before they got it. I am not sure Soundclick has those categories. I will check.

I just do em! Confused
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Friend,

You are no hardhead..you are just a super person expressing yourself, and we all love you for it....It is just not a clear edge on these things..but I just like the Art Song label best...but Standard Rep Folk works as well..There are several folk categories possible...look through the diff. ones and pick one, or let it be popular!!

Again, GREAT JOB on this..we won't soon forget this one...

Johnny Very Happy
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jazlover

This is very beautifully done and I also thought it needed nothing more or less. Your singing is perfect for what you are saying to your son.

I am also a mountain lover and used to spend weekends going up, across the top, and down the other side of Table Mountain in Cape Town, in as many different ways as possible.

Loved the lyrics too - made me realise how much I miss the mountain..Sad

Regards from
Dee
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the volume swell effect on the guitar (that what it is right?), that just sounds great.

As for the vocal I think it came out very well. There are a few moments when I can detect that slight uncertainty, which I recognize myself as the times when the thought "Oh god I am recording myself singing" kick in Wink It is so hard to just let that thought go and record your vocal just as naturally as when you sat there with the acoustic guitar and played the song through without the demon red recording light glowing ominously.

However, I think this snippet has worked well for all of us (if not you) because it comes across as someone genuinely trying to express something and that is what people for the most part enjoy and want to hear. Only one word in there was a little pitchy but the rest of it worked really well, and it was enjoyable to listen to.

Maybe like me, after receiving such good feedback, the next vocal you'll do will be less of struggle because you'll remember what others said as well as that voice in your head that says "Who is this strange sounding guy in my recording". There is something about hearing your own voice recorded which is quite unsettling at first, because it doesn't like how we hear ourselves. Once you become more accustomed to it, it seems less alien and you enjoy it more in the way that others do. It would be interesting to hear the more experienced vocalists like G, J, U and S's take on that.

I have a Peter Gabriel'esque after-taste from listening to this.

Daz.
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, that guitar sound came from some programs from KORG. On my disk the download was titled EH_SNDZ . The program was called Long Walk. I loved that sound the best on that whole disc download. It is a great program to play with. If you still have a Triton you ought to give it a try.

You both are kind. I like it better as time goes on.

Daz....Don't tell Mr Gabriel!
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might EASILY be classified as World music. Gabriel's music tends to go into that category. Just listened again. Lovely.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: