Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Tutorial] Accurate sample start modulation. [ESX][BEGINNER]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: [Tutorial] Accurate sample start modulation. [ESX][BEGINNER] Reply with quote

Let me begin by saying that this tutorial may seem obvious for most, but I'll guarantee that not many of you realize that you can do this. It can be used for other things as well as the EMX. On that note, lets begin.

first grab a sample, preferable not a one shot but rather something that changes quite radically. If you wish, make a basic beat.

Now take the part with the sample on it and sequence it with the beat(or say all of the 16 steps so you could do more interesting textural stuff...

Now turn on motion sequence to smooth, hit record and randomly give the sample start knob to record some random sample start-modulated loop. If you want you can try to make it sound cool but you don't have to because we will do just that in the next step.

Now here's the core of this technique, while it's playing, go into step edit mode. The main screen should automatically show Mot Value, if it doesn't turn the main dial until it does. You can now hit on steps and manually set the sample start point for every step you have highlighted.

This can be used for the reverse, roll, pitch ect. ect. for accurate control over all these parameters. Talk about some wicket breaks Wink

Have fun, here's a nice little one minute demo Wink
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6526661

http://myspace.com/audioruso
hooks85

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you welcome.

http://myspace.com/audioruso
Borg

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Didn't know that. Thanks for all your great tuts. Wink

musikmachine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be picking up an ESX today. Mr. Green
revolver 87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: esx beginner Reply with quote

sorry 4 disturbing u guys.. esx amateur here.. just wonderin does anyone know how can i record a full song from the emx to the esx.. lookin 2 record a few songs on different patterns and cant seem to do it.. is killing me.. any help wud b great guys..
808state

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: above comment. Reply with quote

The esx is not designed to record full songs from the emx or another audio device.

do you mean you want to know how to record full songs from both devices??
coops

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: great info Reply with quote

Thanks Ruso your info is awsome. i just got my emx1 and spent the weekend nuting it out.. Mind you I have spent the last month on this site and youtube getting as much tutorial as i can.
Keep posting tips on this excellent machine
22tape

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huge tip! unfortunately, i can't seem to adjust the start point per step. i can record the motion sequence. while playing i go to step edit mode. go to mod value. press one of the steps. it starts blinking rapidly. but when i try to adjust the start point for that step, nothing happens. any ideas?

thanks!
StAsmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice... I use today and actually made something that sounded awesome...
ProfessorNick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sample Start Modulation Reply with quote

Hello Ruso,

I read this about 10 times before I understood it. Once I did, it opened up lots of potential with the ESX. If anyone else is having a problem understanding this, check out this little video I made.

Cheers,
Nick

http://youtu.be/ud-78M9twDk
rbn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: NEW Reply with quote

Good, I'm new to this, I know what I can do with the SD card from my esx-1, put new samples? where I can download samples of hardcore or hardtek frenchcore? thanks;)
noobnr39

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been looking to create something like this for a really long time. is it too much to ask to make a video tutorial about this ? as well as showing how to pre-process the sample ??

im having a lot of trouble to stretch/prepare the sample to a given BPM.

any advice on this is greatly appreciated, i also started a topic about this. but your solution does sound really interesting.

id love to know a little more detail about this ( basically im working on making my ESX a DnB break machine, combining it with more tighter voicing from the EMX , which will serve as the main workstation for my liveset Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: