Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Basic Question About Controlling the Microkorg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starving student

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Very Basic Question About Controlling the Microkorg Reply with quote

don't mean to waste your time with this one, but for some reason I am not able to control my microkorg with another controller, or control my softsynths via another controller through the microkorg, but the microkorg as controller is working fine it self.
this is what i want to do:

Korg padkontrol >>microkorg >>to softsynths

would one of you be so kind as to give me a step by step of how the microkorg should be set up.

my thoughts were that all i needed to do was hook the midi out of the padkontrol into the midi in of the microkorg, but i'm not able to control the microkorg or softsynths in that way at all.

thanks in advance for your time and help
starving student

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please folks i've checked the manual and I can't seem to find the problem
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pK is connected to your PC/Mac via USB you can use the MIDI ports on it just as if it was a MIDI USB interface. See the manual for the pK for more info. If you go down that route you'll be able to connect the mK MIDI OUT to the pK MIDI IN, and mK MIDI IN to the pK MIDI OUT. It won't just work, straight off the bat, but it's a setup that with a decent DAW will work well.

Are you using a PC or a Mac ? What host are you using for your soft synths ?

Daz.
starving student

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for responding Daz, I'm running windows and ableton Live.

what i want to do is connect my pk or an mpc to the microkorg and then the microkorg to the computer last in the chain.
everything works fine except that it seems that anything connected to my microkorgs midi in does not let me control the microkorg. for instance, i've got my pks midi din out going to the mks midi in and pressing the pads on the pk produces no sound or control on the mk, same thing when connecting my mpcs midi out to the mks midi in. I seem to have all of them on the same midi channel so I don't know whats the problem.
kpatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Basic Question About Controlling the Microkorg Reply with quote

starving student wrote:
Korg padkontrol >>microkorg >>to softsynths
I assume you have the Padkontrol connected to the Microkorg's MIDI IN, and the MK's MIDI OUT hooked up to your computer's MIDI interface, right?

If you do it that way, the Padkontrol would control the Microkorg (assuming they're both set to the same MIDI channel), but the Microkorg won't pass the Padkontrol's MIDI to the computer through the MIDI OUT.

What are you trying to control with what? Padkontrol controlling the MK? MK controlling the soft synths? Padkontrol controlling the soft synths? Some combination of the above?

If you want to control your soft synths from both the Padkontrol and the MK, you'll either need a MIDI merge box or a computer interface that has more than one MIDI IN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: