Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KOrg Kaoss Pad 3 -Power Adapter Trouble!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshLawson

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: KOrg Kaoss Pad 3 -Power Adapter Trouble!! Reply with quote

ok so i have little understanding of electronics so it would be soo much help if someone knew.

i just got my KP3 (hells yeah!) and got it from japan. the guy said just get an english adapter, and i cannot find where to buy the seperate Uk adapter for the KP3 anywhere! so i got a travel adapter and whipped that on the end of the japanese plug and plugged it in.

FIZZZZZ... i think i blew the circuit on my KP3. now it dosnt work and i dont know how to fix it or if its ever going to work on an englsih circuit bored?
if theres anyone who can help with any of these problems please let me know!

all i wanna do is get going on the Kaoss Pad!!!

much appreciation!
josh.
Zedius

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japenese line voltage is 100V, UK voltage is 240V. You just plugged a 100V adapter into a 240V outlet.

Most likely, you just f***ed your Japanese adapter. It's possible that in messing up your adapter something bad got into your kp3, though.

What you gotta do is get a proper adapter and test your kp3. The kp3 requires 12V DC, 700mA, with the positive terminal on the "tip".

Do you have radioshacks in the UK? They'll help you out. Or any electronics store, really. If you want to search for one around your house, here is an example:

http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/ELA/EH24DC.jpg

This is NOT like the one you should use, but just an example of what you should look for. This is an American one (input 120v), with an output of 24V DC and 100mA. The positive terminal is on the "tip" (that's that weird symbol near the bottom, it describes the polarity of the jack that goes into your kp3).

Also, for the kp3 you don't need it to be rated for 700mA. That is just a minimum. If you have a UK power supply around the house that outputs 12VDC with a positive tip, and it fits, and it supplies 1200mA or a billion mA, those will work too. The Kaoss pad only draws what it needs.
JoshLawson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Nicce one Reply with quote

hmmm ok i kinda see what you mean. i cant say i got one of them round the house and i struggle with elcetronics but you helped alot.

i think im gonna try find an electronics store.
to be honest though, in Uk we got like sh*t all good electronics stores.
but im sure ill find one.
cheers buddy!
defex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: KOrg Kaoss Pad 3 -Power Adapter Trouble!! Reply with quote

JoshLawson wrote:
ok so i have little understanding of electronics so it would be soo much help if someone knew.

i just got my KP3 (hells yeah!) and got it from japan. the guy said just get an english adapter, and i cannot find where to buy the seperate Uk adapter for the KP3 anywhere! so i got a travel adapter and whipped that on the end of the japanese plug and plugged it in.

FIZZZZZ... i think i blew the circuit on my KP3. now it dosnt work and i dont know how to fix it or if its ever going to work on an englsih circuit bored?
if theres anyone who can help with any of these problems please let me know!

all i wanna do is get going on the Kaoss Pad!!!

much appreciation!
josh.

I almost bought that one from japan on ebay but ended up sniping a guy and getting one more localy.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to tell you this, but you probably fried your KP3. You might have fried the adapter too, but probably not. That's also not covered under warrantee.
JoshLawson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i have learnt my lesson from the tech group at Korg.
basically the japaeses ones where never intended to work in uk.
so what ever happened it woulda never worked and it woulda blown.

so heres the damage report.

main circuit board = £90
Labour Time = £40
Postage = £5 there, £7 back.

and it originally cost me £170

fortunetly the sellers said hes gonna pay for it. god knows how hes making a profit on them then.

heres my advice DONT GET KAOSS PADS OUT OF YOUR COUNTRY!
i think it'll pay off when he pays for it but its too much stress!
Zedius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's incredibly lucky that it's getting paid for. Good job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: