Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please! Hardware wizard rejects kp3 always!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lores

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Help please! Hardware wizard rejects kp3 always! Reply with quote

I really want to get this working with the usb, and it worked just fine on my other cpu to install, but I need it to work with my laptop to actually be of any use!
The hardware wizard on xp on my laptop refuses to see any software for the kp3 and after several attempts somehow has blocked my usb ports from even recognizing this thing! Haven't been able to find any info on this particular problem and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
dayuri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to help service quite a few PCs with this problem at my old work. It was quite common, but I can't remember an easy solution. From my memory, they usually had to be backed up then formatted.

If you've got the cash I recommend you throw your computer out the window and get a mac.
lores

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how helpful
terrybj65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had somewhat of a similar and the Korg CS rep forwarded a good article that explains what you need to do and it does really work:

So there I was, reviewing a Yamaha Motif XS6, which has all kinds of cool MIDI options. I downloaded the USB MIDI driver and installed it; its little applet booted up, and it showed up as a fully functioning MIDI device . . . except no sequencer could see it. Say what? Turned out I was a victim of the dreaded Windows XP/NT/2000 MIDI device driver limitation problem.

These operating systems can install a maximum of ten MIDI device drivers; after that, they fall down and say no mas!

And it’s not hard to use them up if you have lots of devices. For example, if you install a USB MIDI device driver while itís plugged into one USB port, then plug it into a different USB port and install the driver again, you now have a duplicate driver and have used up two MIDI device drivers. The same will happen if the interface is on a PCI card, and you change its slot. The solution: Go into the registry, hunt down duplicate driver entries, and delete them.

RME has an excellent FAQ on this subject by Matthias Carstens at http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_techinfo.php?page=content/support/en_support_faq_10entryd.

However, it’s written more for intermediate users, so we’ll deal with the issue on a more basic level. Ready? Let’s fix it.

DEALING WITH THE REGISTRY

The Windows registry is a scary place for the neophyte, but, we won’t be doing anything too drastic. Still, it’s a good idea to back up your registry in case you commit some egregious error, as messing up the registry could screw up your computer big-time (so don’t blame us). Refer to Microsoft instructions for registry backup at http://sup-port.microsoft.com/kb/322756/.

(Incidentally, if you don’t want to edit the registry, M-Audio offers a MIDI Fix utility at
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&k=driver&s=8&o=Windows+XP&f=84.

This clears out previously-installed MIDI devices, as described in a text file included with the utility, but you will have to reinstall the deleted drivers manually.)

1. Go Start > Run and type Regedit.

2. Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key and click on the + sign to its left to expand it.

3. Go down and open the tree as follows: Software >Microsoft > Windows NT > Current Version.

4. Under Current Version, click on the Drivers32 key. A list of sub-keys will show up in the right pane (Fig. 1); locate the Midi sub-keys (Midi, Midi1, Midi2 . . . Midi9).

5. At this point, you have two options. Either one involves deleting a MIDI sub-key by right-clicking on the key name and choosing Delete. One option is to delete each Midi sub-key (Midi ñ Midi9), there by guaranteeing you’ve deleted any duplicates, and reinstall any necessary device drivers from scratch. The other option is to verify which keys are duplicates, and delete the duplicates. If you delete a “wrong” driver key, worst case is that you’ll need to re-install the driver for that device (if that forces you to check the net for the latest drivers that might actually be a good thing!).

6. In Fig. 1, note how there are two entries for usbkt1x1.dll (both are circled in red). To verify that these are duplicates, type Ctrl+F to call up the Find function, and type in (for example) usbkt1x1.dll. Keep hitting F3 to find all occurrences of usbkt1x1.dll.

7. Once you get out of the Drivers32 key, you’ll find individual instances where the drivers occur, with information in the right pane (Fig. 2). This example shows that Midi6 represents the driver for the M-Audio USB Keystation. However, it turns out Midi1 also shows an M-Audio USB Keystation driver with the same characteristics ó clearly a duplicate.

8. After verifying the duplicate, return to the Drivers32 key and delete either one of the duplicate sub-keys. You’ve now freed up a MIDI device driver. In my situation, after deleting two duplicates there was plenty of room for the Yamaha Motif XS6, and all four of its ports appeared. So next time you try to install a MIDI driver and nothing shows up . . . check your registry!

TECH BENCH
Fixing Windows XP MIDI
Port Problems by Craig Anderton
atari_kaiju

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you've got the cash I recommend you throw your computer out the window and get a mac.

Yeah, I hear that Leopard OS is the answer to everybody's music making problems. Wink

Mac, PC, they are ALL consumer machines with operating systems designed to make things easier for average users at the expense of making life a living Hell for professionals.

Korg really need to fix their buggy USB MIDI drivers. I've had the same problem on my THREE computers. I've never had this sort of thing happen when using controllers from M-Audio, Novation, and even the much maligned Behringer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: