Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple RAM?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joet63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Apple RAM? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade the RAM for my iMac G5, however, I would like to know should I purchase the Apple Ram @ £120.00 or should I go for the generic RAM (Kingston DDR2 2G) @ £45.00, which is less than half the price of the the Apple Ram?

I know it's a stupid question but, what is the difference between the two RAM modules?

Is it just price alone or is it Apple's secret formula for their own specific RAM?

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatfully received and appreciated.

Joet63
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, you can use any kind of compatible ram but kingston (hope I'm spelling it correct) or take-ms are good and "certified" brands... I use non apple ram and all works perfectly. If you're unsure just take a look on some apple forum and you'll find your answers.
Regards, Lorenzo
joet63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Apple RAM? Reply with quote

Hi Lorenz,

Thanks for your advice, I'll go and check out the apple forums and see what info I can gather.
Thanks again

Joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
Tomcat
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't have to use Apple ram. I just put in two 2 gig SODIMMS of Kingston ram into my 2.2gig MacBook and it runs perfectly.

I also replaced the 120 gig 5400 rpm original HD with a Seagate 200 gig 7200 rpm one and it also works just fine.

Got all that stuff from Newegg.com in the USA.

Tom
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally use crucial.com for all my RAM purchases (Macs, PCs and my Oasys), their site will help you select the right spec memory for your specific machine and the prices are decent. Their RAM has always worked for me, including in my PowerMac G5 Smile
Tomcat
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,

Actually, at this point I would probably go to OWC and get Mac stuff but I had this left from an ill-fated purchase of a Sony VAIO laptop last April ('0Cool when I got PO'd because my Tascam US122 wouldn't work right with Vista 32. Vista wouldn't shut down because it said there was a USB device that wouldn't turn off so it hung up and then after about 20 minutes BSODed; well duh, it won't turn off until the bus powers down and windows wouldn't shut down. I could just turn it off and everything would work when I turned it on again, but I didn't like that, so I tried to install a copy of WinXP that I have and it started by loading some files and then said it "cannot find hard drive. Cannot continue installation", and nothing I did would change it.

Just on general principles that made me mad so I went right to the Amazon website and requested a Return Authorization, which they sent me right away. In the meantime, when I ordered the Sony I also order 4 gigs of ram from newegg in anticipation of using it in the Sony and it just happened to be Kingston.

I had been thinking about trying "the OTHER side" for a while since if I made a mistake and decided I really didn't like OSX I could always simply use Bootcamp and run WinXP so I went to the Apple Store and got a refurbished 2.2 gig MacBook and Logic Express. I had been wanting to try both Logic and Digital Performer for several years, so I took this oportunity to do it.

Since I already had the SODIMMs and they were the same spec as what Apple called for with the MacBook I decided to install them and they worked perfectly so I got 4 gigs of ram into my MacBook for $88.81 delivered to my door.

After fooling around with Logic 8 Express I got so impressed that I decided to upgrade to Logic 8 Studio and I'm just amazed at the content (sounds and synths) included with it; not only is there a very large amount but the quality is also really good.

I bought a copy of Peter Alexander's "Street Smart Guide to Logic 8 Pro" pdf that is one of the best tutorials I've ever seen because it really is about how to use Logic, ie, it is a project oriented guide with a lot of sidebar explanation about why you want to do something and about how compressors and reverbs, etc. work.

In any event my now about six week long journey into Mac land is going well and I may very well just stay here but also install WinXP so I can continue to use Sound Forge, Adobe Audition, CD Architect, etc. until I get a chance to check out the wave editor in Logic along with Wave Burner. If everything works out OK then I will get a Mac Pro 8 Core this fall after my wife and I move back to Colorado to be near family because of our age and health needs.

BTW, interestingly enough, I installed Logic and everything just works but I also installed Digital Performer and I can only get sound out of the right side and it sounds weak and thin but I figured I would wait until DP 6 comes out before I spend any time trouble shooting, besides, at this point I may not need to go any further than Logic because it might do everything I need and, so far, I like the way it works.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: