Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot record midi on a PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mizar10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Cannot record midi on a PC Reply with quote

Hello friends,

I recently bought a used Trinity Pro. I tried to record midi on the PC and observed the following:
- when I press a key the test program records "note off" twice
- when I release the key I get the message "note off" once
so pressing and releasing produces "note off" 3 times.

Here are my assumptions:
- The soundcard only understands GeneralMidi whereas the Trinity does not send GM but something else
- My kboard settings aren't correct
- Midi out channel of the Tri is broken
- The soundcard is broken

Does anybody have an idea on how to proceed ?

Thanks in advance !

George
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot record midi on a PC Reply with quote

mizar10 wrote:

Here are my assumptions:
- The soundcard only understands GeneralMidi whereas the Trinity does not send GM but something else

GM is only a standard that defines what certain programs, control changes, etc, will be used for. The underlying MIDI messages are the same, GM just states for example that mod wheel should be used for vibrato, cc7 should be volume, program 1 should be an acoustic piano, channel 10 is for drums, etc...

it will still transmit the notes controllers, program changes regardless, GM just defines how they should be interpreted.

certainly sounds like something is broken but I couldn't tell you what... first thing to do would be quite obvious but to check that everything is plugged in right...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
lukos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious question but do you know that your midi monitor is working correctly and is recording all messages? I wonder because I wrote a midi monitor and because my code was dodgy (and I couldn't work out why to begin with) I ended up with lots of messages appearing as NOTE OFF.
Anyway, your keyboard for a single key would send NOTE ON followed by zero or more CHANNEL PRESSURE messages for aftertouch and then a NOTE OFF message all with the channel number and the key number (and velocity).
Test by plugging it into another midi keyboard if possible or otherwise plug another keyboard into the PC without changing any settings and see if you get the same problem. You could also try other free midi monitors.
I can certainly not think of any scenario where the keyboard settings would allow you to send lots of note off messages for a single key press!
As x-trade says, it is not anything related to GM standards or otherwise, these note messages are bog standard MIDI 1.0 spec. The midi out channel I would expect to send all or nothing, not just a selection of messages and likewise with the sound card. My money would be on the software!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: