Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new audio interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FigureofFiend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: new audio interface Reply with quote

hey i'm looking to begin recording me (triton extreme) and my friend (guitar) into cubase

i'm going to have a friend run me through the steps of how to do all of that (i'm a beginner at it all) but even before that I need to find the best audio interface to record into the computer with. need

- midi & inputs for keys & guitar
- $350 price range, could give or take depending
- running on pc, not mac. runs on both would be nice?

any specific models come to mind?

let me know guys
thanks
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do a search on musiciansfriend, samash, zzounds, sweetwater, musiciansbuy, etc.

If you want rackmount equipment, expect to pay an average of about $600-$800. For non rackmounts you can get away with an average of $300-$400. I prefer rackmount and I use the Mackie Onyx 400f - it has very nice mic preamps for the price. I was actually looking at the focusrite which I think is about the same just had more inputs and outputs.

Like I tell everyone - don't limit yourself on price if you don't have too. Each piece of equipment is an investment for the future and is a critical tool to your music. By purchasing the better equipment up front, you save more in the future as you aren't buying upgrades or a bunch of 'other' equipment to help you achieve more results that a lower piece of gear wasn't really capable of in the first place.

Don't go USB if you can help it - firewire is the way to go. It's faster with a hell of a lot less issues on latency. Once you have narrowed down your search a bit more, then post what you have on your findings and see if anyone can help you zero in on something more fitting. Trust me on this, you really need to do some research or you will be sorry.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are proficient, it is always best to have an internal card running when you can. For the money M-Audio makes a WHOLE lot of options right up your alley.

The Audiophile 24/96 or 24/192 is a simple easy stereo I/O with S/PDIF and MIDI. That starts below $100 and your options go up from there.

And they do have Firewire and USB versions.

I agree to stay away from USB.

Solo

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
FigureofFiend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick response

as a matter of fact I had done a bit of research on a few of those sites...figured I would hold off on saying anything 2 see what people would initially say.

I assume a rackmount one would be for some live situation? (shows how much I know). IIf so maybe not the rackmount? Hmm. just need it to hook up to my pc or labtop(in future) so I can make some recordings into some software.

internal cards seem very interesting but I have no idea what they even are. should that bar me from even considering it right there?

ok now that your telling me don't go usb...that rules out quite a few. The initial one my friend had usb 2.0 and was the

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2.0 Audio Interface

but I heard mixed reviews about it and the reliability. So then I started looking and at quick glance presonus seems to be a good brand, and the

PreSonus FP10 10x10 FireWire Interface (Firepod)

is quite popular. gets good reviews as well. not sure if maybe its more than I will need, although the option of having all the inputs for drums is nice

really I just don't know enough about this equipment to be making good educated choices. which is where you guys come in haha. I agree on price catching up in the long run...gotta try and keep it around 350-400 though. is there something in this range that can do the job? things I should be looking for in the equipment specs?

thanks
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FigureofFiend wrote:

really I just don't know enough about this equipment to be making good educated choices. which is where you guys come in haha. I agree on price catching up in the long run...gotta try and keep it around 350-400 though. is there something in this range that can do the job? things I should be looking for in the equipment specs?

thanks

Again, you will have to search to find something in that price range. Just try and make sure it is 24bit/96khz or higher. Also, rackmount isn't just for live (it's nice if you want to record live). If you look at any recording studio and their setup, you will find mostly if not all of their gear as rackmount. Non rackmount (the smaller units) were definately made for the home recording enthusiast.

Presonus is good but so are a lot of other units. Like I said, I have the Mackie Onyx 400f and it had mix reviews - I love it!! The only review that I had to agree with was their ASIO driver update for Vista (took forever). Funny though, I don't use it on Vista Smile

You might also want to look for two firewire connections so you can hook up an external hard drive. This is important as recorded files can be between 200-500 mb per track for a three minute long song (at 96khz - double that if you get up to 192khz which most people don't use). So, if you have 10 tracks at 200mb - that's two gigs for one three minute long song!! When your DAW software is trying to process that in real time, usb isn't going to cut it.
FigureofFiend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys thought I would update and ask the final question on the matter

Should I go with the
Presonus Firebox
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

or the
M-audio Firewire 410

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-410-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=701385

both seem affordable, yet seem good for running on a new labtop - which is what I'm looking for. just to have a little portable studio of sorts. Smile

I will say I am leaning a decent amount towards the presonus. Actually as I read more presonus looks better and better....so unless somebody wants to talk me out of it I might just go with that one.

hope I can get a good price on it...

well either way thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: