Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polyphony problem with I5M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melotronic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Polyphony problem with I5M Reply with quote

Owners of Korg I5M/I5S, I need your help ...

I just actually identify a problem of polyphony and I wonder if this is my machine that is down or if I simply reached its limits under certain conditions.

This module is given for 32 voices of polyphony (16 votes using sounds oscillators 2), which is not much I grant you ....

My problem occurs when I played "big chords" (kind FMaj7-9-13) + pad in Lower with some arrangements and in particular on variation 3 and 4 that are more complex.

In these cases I have quite often notes of the melody that disappear .... especially when changes in chords and / or riffs generated by the arranger ....
On the other hand when i'm using a "double oscillo" sound for melody like "D44: NoisyOrgan" or "E11: Oooooooze" then this is one of 2 two layers of sound that disappears ... In the case of NoisyOrgan, there remained only the noise .......... : (And even sometimes on chords more light like GMaj7 ... )

So of course, I tell myself that if for example the Lower uses a "double" sound, with chord of 5 notes, there is already 10 notes of poly for lower are and there were only 22 for other parts of Accompanying that are DRUMS/PERC/BASS/ACC1/ACC2/ACC3 and can quickly achieve polyphony max, which would explain these cuts in the melody ....

My question is if I have inadvertently chosen a arrangment + Sounds combination that leads to an over-capacity of the device or if it is out of order.

For example, leaving the default 2 sounds affected by Korg for the Lower / Upper (Split mode) or KB1/KB2 (mode Layer) for each arrangement, the problem does not appear.

Thank you all for your help!

On the other hand I tried to reset maintaining ARR.PLAY + GLOBAL during power-up as advocated by KORG ... but instead simply reset the machine this has led to a diagnosis at the end of which an error message like "[MIDI CHECK] OUT x IN1" appeared then all the lights were switched off requiring / l relight 'camera ..... but I wonder if this is not normal because it seems to have already read that the test procedure requires link between OUT and In socket to test the loop Midi ... At the end of this test was made the rénitialisation;) but it does not correct my problem ....

Musically yours

Best regards from France

PS: I apologize for my bad english
Nesh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have the iS40 that has the same 32 poly, and yes, the instrument drops notes on VARs 3 & 4, regardless of the complexity of the chords in my case. I also noted that this happens more frequently on user styles / arrangements and less with the preload A / B arrangement banks.

You shoudl also note that in some arrangements, not only the solo tracks, but sometimes the ACC1 - ACC3 use double oscillator programs, which leaves much less polyphony available for solo tracks. When the instrument is "starved" for polyphony, I also notice irregularities in the drum tracks, especially when fill-inns are triggered. Sometimes, effects are turned down by the instrument or double oscillator sounds only sound one oscillator.

I guess there is a good reason why modern arrangers use 128 polyphony...
melotronic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thank to you, Nesh, for your response, which reassures me heavily on the health status of my I5M. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: