Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to get for a laptop setup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoggThang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: What to get for a laptop setup? Reply with quote

I got myself a MicroKorg, which I love so far but haven't actually got it hooked up to anything. I used to have an old setup years ago but I'm totally out of touch now. What I do have is a Vaio laptop and I'm wondering if I could use this for making music.

Obviously, it doesn't have the connections needed and the soundcard is likely pants but I see there are external soundcards now and little audio interface boxes that can go through USB or firewire. I'm having a hard time work out exactly what covers what.

Does anyone know what I need to turn my microKorg and laptop into a usable setup? I'm hoping to get midi in and out to the micro with latency that doesn't kill me and also decent audio input. Do those audio interface things effectively replace soundcards or do I need both? For sequencing, I have an antique copy of cubase but I'm thinking of moving to fruityloops as the price us good.

Any help, advice or recommendations on setting this up would be really appreciated.
jonlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need a usb audio interface like:
Line 6 TonePort ux2 or ux1
M-Audio Fast Track
M-Audio MobilePre
E-MU 0404 USB
etc. etc.

And you can conect microkorg via usb-midi cable, or via usb cable if microkorg has a midi out.

You will also need some monitros, behringer is the cheapest.

Softvare...

And that is it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: