Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pc software to use with M1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikerman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: pc software to use with M1 Reply with quote

Hi again

as per this thread, http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57675&sid=539e3386bb4d499717ca52d0e4edb0e0

I have bought some old software to run on my pc, the intention is to use it as a sequencer for the m1, it's called

cubase vst 5

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/unsupported_products/cubase_vst_5_score_32.html

it's from c. 2000 -2002 so quite old, but don't want to spend too much just yet....

Will this software work ok with the M1? and do what I intend?

thanks

bm
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: pc software to use with M1 Reply with quote

bikerman wrote:
and do what I intend?

Without knowing what you intend to do it would be kinda difficult to say... Twisted Evil
bikerman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi synthjoe

thanks for your observation!

I just want to use is as a midi sequencer....

I remember cubase from the early 90's on the atari st... but I have been out of the scene for so long I really have no idea what it can do now!!
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bikerman

In theory you can use any seq package on the computer for your M1. The M1 has no comprehension of what happens to midi events once they are sent to the midi out port.

Cubase 5 is a perfectly adequate package to seq with. You just need to get your head around using it and you should be fine.

Ex Korg UK Technical Support 2002 - 2010

Forum Moderator since 2011

When Words Fail, Music Speaks
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: pc software to use with M1 Reply with quote

bikerman wrote:
Hi again

as per this thread, http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57675&sid=539e3386bb4d499717ca52d0e4edb0e0

I have bought some old software to run on my pc, the intention is to use it as a sequencer for the m1, it's called

cubase vst 5

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/unsupported_products/cubase_vst_5_score_32.html

it's from c. 2000 -2002 so quite old, but don't want to spend too much just yet....

Will this software work ok with the M1? and do what I intend?

thanks

bm

Any version of Cubase will work great with the M1. What you'll need is a MIDI interface (like this one http://www.samash.com/p/M-Audio_UNO%201x1%20MIDI%20Interface_-49992087), prob a USB one and a couple of MIDI cables (that interface linked actually has them).
bikerman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys...

I am just trying to install Cubase VST 5 now....

It came it a parallel port dongle, and none of my current PC's have a parallel port! So I had to purchase a parallel to USB cable... fingers crossed this will work for me!

Cheers

BM
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerman wrote:
Thanks for the help guys...

I am just trying to install Cubase VST 5 now....

It came it a parallel port dongle, and none of my current PC's have a parallel port! So I had to purchase a parallel to USB cable... fingers crossed this will work for me!

Cheers

BM

Why have you gone with the ancient version of cubase?
The current version is called Cubase 5, note the lack of the 'VST' bit. It still plays VST instruments if you want it to though.
And it is not strictly 'more complicated'. There are more features, but you don't have to access them if you don't need them.
The basic principles of recording and sequencing are pretty much the same for any DAW software.

There are a few good free or cheap DAWs that you might want to look at if you can't get Cubase to work:
-Reaper
-EnergyXT
-Kristal Audio Engine
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
bikerman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey X-Trade

I went for the ancient version, as it was cheapest! (£40 off ebay)

Just want to get my feet wet in this hobby again, it's been quite a while since I last used any musical software/instruments!

Turns out that the parallel dongle doesn't work in a usb cable, so I have got to either

a: load a usb dongle with the licence, (£20 for a new usb dongle) or
b: fire up an old pc with a parallel port.... not so convenient

ho hum....

I will have a look at the software you mention, can't hurt to try out...

Cheers

BM
bikerman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**UPDATE**

Just bought the usb dongle....

I hope this works now (I could have bought cubase sx3 for £90) and so far I have forked out almost £70 for this vst 5....

(live and learn eh!)

Thanks for all the help.

BM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: