Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone knows...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Anyone knows... Reply with quote

Anyone knows how to change multis using an external sequencer?

***I want to tell the Triton to switch to another Multi externally. Cool
dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do this with the Triton and a software sequencer.

First, you have to set up and save your Multis. You can save them either to a floppy disk on the synth itself, or you can dump (record) them as sysex into a track on your sequencer.

For details on how to record Triton sysex, see here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17049&highlight=multi

Once you've got your Multis safe, you can now send Song Select messages from the software sequencer to the Triton to change Multis.

Kind regards.
BruceL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, dave...

However, doing it that way would not be helpful midway thru a song since the Triton goes into sleep mode (the unit freezes for 60seconds) while it's receiving a sysex dump. Mad (ouch!)

***During a "live performance" I just wanna send a simple song select message from an external device telling the Triton to switch from one Multi to the next...hope that explain my intentions a bit more...thanx in advance for any help on the matter! Cool
dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I haven't explained myself very well, BruceL. The saving of the Multis on floppies or as sysex is only to set up the synth for your set.

So what you do is set up a Multi for each song. Since the Triton allows you to set up 16 User Multis at one time, you save a set of 16 at one time. If you have more than 16 songs in your set you can save a second floppy or a second Multi sysex sequence. If you plan the set out carefully you can load your second group of 16 Multis without the audience being any the wiser.

Now, once the Triton is set up, with your saved Multis on board, sending a song select number from your sequencer or controller will bring up that number Multi on the synth.

I hope that's a bit clearer.

Kind regards.
BruceL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:

Now, once the Triton is set up, with your saved Multis on board...

Yes, ok...

Quote:
sending a song select number from your sequencer or controller will bring up that number Multi on the synth.

The QUESTION remains, dave...HOW? Laughing

***Im aware song select (sysex command) starts out with F3, it's what follows I need help with...thanx!...Cool
dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I might be of more help if you told me exactly what you're using to control the Triton. Software sequencer? Hardware sequencer? MIDI controller?

If you're using a software sequencer, you should be able to insert Song Select messages into the Triton's Global channel track exactly as you would insert a Control Change number and value. Song Select is a System Common MIDI event and you shouldn't need to construct a sysex message for it – your sequencer should handle it as MIDI.

There should be a menu or palette of MIDI events insertable with the mouse somewhere in your sequencer, usually connected with event list or MIDI graphic editor windows. Song Select may be named differently – "Song Change," for example, as in Digital Performer.

OK, this might be a solution: I've just loaded up my Triton-Rack with a set of 19 songs (you can have as many as 128 Multis set up on board at the same time but you can only save the first 16). Global channel is set to 1 and MIDI Clock to Internal:

Global > MIDI > Open > MIDI Channel & MIDI Clock.

In Digital Performer, I start recording on a track assigned to channel 1 of the Triton. In Multi mode on the Triton, I press the Inc button every few seconds and the Song Select command which changes the Multi on the synth is also transmitted out of the Triton to the Digital Performer track and recorded.

When recording is finished, if you open up your Event List display for the track, you should now see these Song Select events. In Digital Performer, they are listed as "Song #1," and so on.

So now you should have your Song Select commands which can be edited, cut, and pasted like any other MIDI information.

IMPORTANT: When recording your initial set of Song Select commands, the Triton's MIDI Clock MUST be set to Internal. When you wish to play it back from your sequencer, MIDI Clock on the Triton MUST be reset to External. Otherwise the Triton will ignore your (external) Song Selects and it won't work.

Kind regards.
BruceL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s obvious you mean well, Dave

Couple of things I think you should know the Triton sequencer can hold/store 200 songs (limited only 2 available memory), and the Triton-rack can store 200 multis (ranging from song/multi 0-199).

The other thing you should know is that the Triton does not transmit sysex over midi in [sequencer-mode] or [multi-mode] what you are seeing are CC# controller settings such as pitch bend/aftertouch etc. which will do NOTHING to switch from one song/multi to the next.

***I appreciate your help, however these suggestions will never give me the desired result...sorry! Cool
BruceL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrzysiekK wrote:

Try Song Select (MIDI System Common): F3h <song> <unused>
Check PG p. 299 for details

Best regards,
Krzysiek

***If I could decode the above reply that would solve EVERYTHING. Cool
dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceL wrote:
It’s obvious you mean well, Dave

Thank you for your supremely condescending post. It's obvious you're not too hot on people skills. Is there any particular reason you keep italicizing my name?

BruceL wrote:
Couple of things I think you should know the Triton sequencer can hold/store 200 songs (limited only 2 available memory), and the Triton-rack can store 200 multis (ranging from song/multi 0-199).

Faulty memory.

BruceL wrote:
The other thing you should know is that the Triton does not transmit sysex over midi in [sequencer-mode] or [multi-mode] what you are seeing are CC# controller settings such as pitch bend/aftertouch etc. which will do NOTHING to switch from one song/multi to the next.

Wrong. Song Select is a part of the MIDI spec and as such need not have anything to do with system exclusive. However, what I find most remarkable is that you can see what I'm seeing in my sequencer track from all that distance away. So where it says "Song #5, Song #7, Song #11" in my Event List, they're really all different pitch-bend values and I'm just deficient in reading skills, yes?

Why are you insisting that this can only be done with sysex when there is a perfectly good System Common MIDI message to do exactly what you need? Or do you think that this Song Select MIDI message is a figment of my imagination?

And you still, for whatever reason, have not revealed what "external device" you're trying to do this with.

BruceL wrote:
***I appreciate your help, however these suggestions will never give me the desired result...sorry! Cool

If your desired result is to have your Triton change its Multis by sending it commands embedded in MIDI tracks, then I'm sitting here watching my Triton do just that. For fun, I've even built a console that allows me to send the exact Multi number I require. And not one single byte of sysex is involved.

However, since you're so certain you know better, I'll leave you to it. And I wouldn't go writing too much sysex if you can't even interpret the byte placeholders.

Kind regards.
BruceL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tritonhaven.com/faq/index.html#6_9_ (Look it up read 6.9)

***and, Im sorry you feel this way! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: