Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg electribe emx-1 Newbie questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerocool22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Korg electribe emx-1 Newbie questions Reply with quote

1: When i hit a key to play a synth, and click the next button on the sequencer, the synth is automatically changing the pitch(more like the right side of the piano keyboard). Is this normal?

Or rephrased.

Is it right if i hit the keyboard button, changes into a keyboard, and with the next button changes the position of the piano?

2: I figured out how to create patterns with the korg emx, but how do i create a whole song? (More patterns after each other).

3: as the keys are numbered, it would be pretty easy to cover a song, if other people say what buttons they hit for a particular song, and show their presets of synths? Are there any websites/links/posts for cover songs? As i am not a keyboard/piano wonder, this would help me out creating killer synths.

4: how can i rename patterns?
MagpieIndustries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg electribe emx-1 Newbie questions Reply with quote

zerocool22 wrote:
1: When i hit a key to play a synth, and click the next button on the sequencer, the synth is automatically changing the pitch(more like the right side of the piano keyboard). Is this normal?

Or rephrased.

Is it right if i hit the keyboard button, changes into a keyboard, and with the next button changes the position of the piano?

2: I figured out how to create patterns with the korg emx, but how do i create a whole song? (More patterns after each other).

3: as the keys are numbered, it would be pretty easy to cover a song, if other people say what buttons they hit for a particular song, and show their presets of synths? Are there any websites/links/posts for cover songs? As i am not a keyboard/piano wonder, this would help me out creating killer synths.

That sounds normal. When you have pressed the Keyboard button, the step keys work like a piano keyboard, so buttons to the right have higher pitches than those to the left. Step 4 is the note C, step 5 is c#, step 6 is the note D, step 7 is D# and so on. You do not set the position in this mode, you can either press record while it is playing, and actually play the melody into the machine. Or, you can do something called Step Edit (read the manual) where you turn OFF the keyboard mode, and now each step represents one moment in time (just like the drum parts work) but there is extra information about what pitch the note will be at. you need to use the step edit button, the up and down arrows and the main rotating dial to change the pitch and the length of the note in this mode.
It is common to enter melodies in both these ways, and switch between them while working. Step Edit will give you exact control over everything, but playing it with Keyboad lit is often fastest.

The step buttons are not only numbered, but as mentioned they are at a fixed pitch too, so you can just use any published sheet music to find the melody.

To rename a pattern, you hold Shift and press Write. You can now use the up/down arrows and the main dial to enter the new name, and press Write again when you are finished.
zerocool22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thx, for the published music sheet thingy, i don't know how to read notes, if thats what you mean Smile
MagpieIndustries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zerocool22 wrote:
Ok thx, for the published music sheet thingy, i don't know how to read notes, if thats what you mean Smile

That is just the way music is written, I am afraid Smile The emx is probably not play back complicated sheet music anyway. But if you wanted to pick out key little parts, you should be able to learn the very basics of reading music notes with a few afternoons of practice. Enough to slowly pull out the main melody anyway. It might be fastest just pressing the emx's rubber buttons until you find the melody yourself also.

An alternative to sheet music is guitar tab (if you can play the guitar) You could work through it to pick out the lead melodies and bits of the solos and even basslines and chord changes. If you don't know how to read guitar tab, it will take a little while to learn, same as sheet music, but if you are thinking about covering popular songs then it would definitely be worth learning at least one of these methods.

The emx will snap all notes to the 16 steps anyway, so it is debatable if it can play back known pieces of music without sounding very robotic
zerocool22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, yeah i can play the guitar and read tabs. But i dont know how to play tabs on guitar though, cause of the multiple snares and keyboard has just one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: