Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS2000 DSP Error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greezy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: MS2000 DSP Error Reply with quote

Im getting no sound output from my Korg MS2000. Im getting a MPU to DSP check error in the diagnostic. Does anyone know what this means? Im also getting a DSP DRAM check Data Error D01014. Im also getting a Midi loop check timeout error. Can someone tell me what these errors mean or how i can fix it.
kvnvk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are you able to select different patches, does it take longer than usual for them to load if you can...??? seems like this is a fairly common problem with the MS2000. had the same problem myself several years ago and when I checked into it the "fix" that I got from everywhere I inquired was to replace the motherboard. also, I was quoted $80 just to have a tech look at it, on top of the cost of "parts" and labor. I came to the conclusion that it would have been less of a hassle to just replace the synth. of course it's always possible somebody somewhere with some technical expertise has managed to isolate the exact problem and has a cheap and easy repair to get the board up and running again, but so far I haven't run across any such information.
darketik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for Info, I have the same problem which happened this week end. i got my ms2k for 8 years now.
My ms2k is really slow to change program and do not generate any sound anymore..
When i launch a check with 'ModSequence On/Off' & 3', i get a DSP DRAM - data Err d01014.
i have 3 questions :
did you change your dsp 56362 or anythingelse ? Did it solve your problem ?

Do you think my problem is coming from the DSP or do my only solution is to find a new ms2k and throw my one by a window ?

What Korg support told you about this problem?

thanks
Agent.Orange.Blossom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently had t he same problem ...

Just replaced DSP56362 with a FREESCALE
Also found & reworked a couple dull solder spots
Thank heavens for hot air rework stations ....
Reloaded OS

Works like new.

KORG quoted me $397.31 for replacement board a DSP56362 costs $29.00
winged EEL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same problem about 5 years ago.

Korg told me that the only solution was to replace the motherboard...Yikes.....so about $500 later my MS2000's motherboard was replaced and has been working fine since then.

A QUESTION for Agent.Orange.Blossom

Are you saying that you removed the failed DSP56362 From your MS2000's motherboard and installed a new one????

I have the old motherboard that was taken out of mine and I am looking at it right now.....how did you get the old DSP56362 out and the new one in????

Looks impossible to me,... in fact, it looks to me that the MS2000's motherboard was manufactured by robotics!

You make it sound so easy!
Does the DSP56362 just pop out with the right tools or what??
i.e. expensive hot air rework station IC Removal gear and lots of skill to go along that I'm sure.

Please explain.

This is great info.

Thanks
darketik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: questions on your ms2000 repair solution Reply with quote

Agent.Orange.Blossom wrote:
Recently had t he same problem ...

Just replaced DSP56362 with a FREESCALE
Also found & reworked a couple dull solder spots
Thank heavens for hot air rework stations ....
Reloaded OS

Works like new.

KORG quoted me $397.31 for replacement board a DSP56362 costs $29.00

hi, pleased that you succeed on your repair.
How did you reload the OS ? standard process or tricky one ? where did you found dull solder ? I'm gonna order a dsp56362 and try.. nothing more to lose... my ms2000 is not working anymore.

regards
Flo
cdog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly a google search has brought me to this page, as my MS2000 makes no sound as well. Apparently these parts are very sensitive and prone to failure. I have ZERO technical expertise when it comes to soldering, so does this mean I have no hope to replace the DSP? Its only $13 to order a new one online, but I have no idea how to install it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated. I like the unit a lot but Im hesitating to buy a new one
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no technical expertise or soldering experience then the chances are you will only screw it up.

Find someone who does have that experience and see if they will install it for you. I used to work in a computer shop and we'd occasionally do repairs to musical instruments. We did soldering down to the component level. I think that is quite rare though.

It is also possible that the fault situation was caused by something else and replacing the DSP won't work or will only work for a short while before the fault condition reoccurs.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
darketik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure the old dsp must be unsoldered and the new one soldered by a professional if you are not one.
Which dsp ID did you ordered for replacement ? i found that XCB56362PV100B(S) could be the right one. do you think i'm right ?

Otherwise, i think that even if the dsp is not the real origine of the ms2000 failure. It do not work anymore, trying to change the dsp and succeed or having a synth that do not produce any sound has only one possible choice.

But you are right also, we have to check before that there is nothing else less complicated inducing the failure (dull solder) before changing the main part of the synth.
grahamprie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come across this topic after seeing an MS2000R for sale on ebay with a description of a fault which sounds like the one which started this topic.

I can confirm that the DSP chip was made by Freescale and the XCB prefix on Korg's part number ( from the service manual ) indicates that it was an early production run when they designed the synth.

There are lots of different variations of this chip, including some which included a hard-wired program to decode Dolby Surround Sound.

The 100 on the end of the part number indicates the maximum speed of operation - anything equal or higher should be OK as a replacement.

Mouser currently offer the DSPB56362AG120 for £10.55 and I'm about to check if the package is the same before ordering one ( if I win the synth ).

This family of parts is obsolete, so it's anyone's guess where there is any stock. Korg have never bothered to hold spares at the component level for any of their products - it's easier for them to only carry complete tested boards.

I don't have a fancy hot-air rework station, but I've been replacing chips like these for the last 15 years by adopting a different approach. You have to assume that the circuit-board is the valuable part and work so it's protected.

I use a small craft-kinfe or a scalpel to cut through the pins of the chip, close to the black moulding and once the chip is loose, I run a lot of solder onto the stubs of the pins and gently slide them off the PCB pads.

The next stage is to clean the pads with desoldering braid and flux remover, till the pads look like they've never been used before.

A light coating of liquid flux is next, before placing the new chip on the board. Gentle pressure from the soldering iron is all it takes to tack down a pin at each corner and once the chip is in place, a small amount of new solder on the iron wil be enough to flow round each pin - I sometimes do them 3 or 4 at a time, making sure to press on the pins, NOT the pads.

If you get too much solder on the pins it will form a bridge between them, but you can remove the excess with the solder-braid.

Purists will be recoiling in shock at this point because I haven't mentioned anti-static workbenches or grounded wrist straps. These old chips are surprisingly tolerant of static, so as long as you have a grounded soldering iron, a jack lead to an amplifier which is grounded to the power supply is all you need while you're working. You can discharge any static in your body by touching the jack plug before you start.

Hope this helps - Graham.
rico_suave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Replacing the DSP Reply with quote

You are right, this mouser part works perfectly! After resoldering the DSP, double checked for bridges, the MS2000r worked flawless - even without reloading the OS 1.07. Not having SMD skills and hot-air station, I've used the Chip Quick SMD1 for removal & the flux to help soldering. Good luck all!

grahamprie wrote:
... Mouser currently offer the DSPB56362AG120 for £10.55 and I'm about to check if the package is the same before ordering one ( if I win the synth )...
I don't have a fancy hot-air rework station, but I've been replacing chips like these for the last 15 years by adopting a different approach. You have to assume that the circuit-board is the valuable part and work so it's protected.
Hope this helps - Graham.
polyphonik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: MS2000R needing confirmation of items on the KLM board Reply with quote

Im haveing the same problem . I can replace the chip no problem but I opened the case to find someone soldered some jumper wires and I am not sure if this is the correct board for this unit. I have a 2000R but the resister is on the 2000 not the 2000R. Can some one tell me if this is the correct board and if the jumpers are factory?

Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: MS2000 DSP Chip Reply with quote

I am in the process of repairing 2 X MS2000 Synths, both have the DSP error one also needed the 3.3v regulator parts replacing, I am now just waiting for the DSP chips to arrive from China, my question is does anyone know what is causing the DSP chips to Blow, especially on the ones where it is just the DSP chip and no other component that seems to have failed?
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt that the issue is damaged or blown DSPs in the majority of the cases exposed here. Even if is possible that there was a production charge where the process had some deviations from the standard and the failure rate for this charge has increased, my bets go for faulty solder joints.
Due to mechanical stress (shock, vibrations, etc) and temperature changes, each solder junction may fail in a given time. Since most affected users here describe that replacing the DSP has fixed the issue, it is my opinion that the fix was eiher the resoldering action.
Before ordering the DSP and replacing it, I would first try to resolder all the pins of the DSP. This can be done as grahamprie describes. Use a fine solder tip, apply some flux to the DSP pins and then gently press each pin with the solder iron tip until you see the soldering melting and having a shiny surface. Don't apply the tip for more than about 1 second to each pin. Maybe you also need to apply some fresh solder wire. In this case, try to get some (now forbidden for new products) leaded solder wire (has a lower melting temperature) with a small (thin) diameter.
You can also take a look to the solder junctions with a good magnifying glass and enough illumination and/or use a needle and try to gently pull each leg of the DSP to see if it is loose or not. Another trick is to scratch gently with a small tip over each pin row to hear if they all sound equally or maybe there is a change on the sound one of them.
If the issue persists after this procedure then you can go to replace the DSP and see if the issue gets fixed. In this case undoubtly the fault was the DSP and I loose my bet Wink
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxim now you tell me lol

Have already removed the DSP Chips from Both boards and cleaned the pads ready for the new DSP chips to be fitted, I was just wondering if after fitting the DSP chips the original fault that had blown them could re-occur? if you are correct about the problem being the solder points, then after installing the 144 pin DSP Chips as long as my soldering is good the MS2000's should work fine?

On the subject of soldering the DSP chips what do you recommend, I have an hot air rework station and some solder paste??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: