Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to guide: Restoring a Pa2X/800 to Known Working State!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: How to guide: Restoring a Pa2X/800 to Known Working State! Reply with quote

We thank our friend Rob Sherratt for the following How To Guides:

Last edited by BasariStudios on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following procedure will reset your Pa2x or Pa800 keyboard to a known working state, without loss of user styles and sounds:

a) Save favorite styles and user styles into UserStyle.SET folders (MEDIA -> Save)

b) Save user sounds into UserSound.SET folders (MEDIA -> Save)

c) Reformat the SSD memory chip (wipes all user data) ... read the installation notes!
d) Load OS2.01 and MR2.01, which can be done in a single operation as follows ... read the installation notes!
e) Load the user sounds from UserStyle.SET folders (MEDIA -> Load)

f) Load the user styles from UserSound.SET folders (MEDIA -> Load)

NOTE 1: Do not use Korg's backup procedure using .BKP files. Many people have had problems because there is no effective mechanism when restoring from a .BKP file that avoids overwriting Korg's latest factory Musical Resources.

NOTE 2: Never overwrite Korg factory styles and sounds. This is because there is no effective way at the moment of saving and restoring your work in the event that a Korg Musical Resources update is issued in the future. Instead save any changes to styles in a Favorites bank, and save any changes to sounds in a User bank.

NOTE 3: Never load a .SET file containing someone else’s GLOBAL or SONGBOOK subfolders. At best you will delete your own settings. At worst you will corrupt the memory of the Pa keyboard and things will stop working - then you will have to do the above "reset" procedure all over again to fix it.
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Regarding NOTE 3: "Never load a .SET file containing someone else’s GLOBAL or SONGBOOK subfolders"

Do you mean never load any .SET that contains GLOBAL and SONGBOOK subfolders, or never load these specific subfolders?

The reason i ask, is because i have loaded .SET files which contain the subfolders you mentioned but i havent specificaly opened them.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrKorg

The point Rob is making is that you should be 101% sure exactly how the GLOBAL/SONGBOOK was created. NEVER load GLOBAL or SONGBOOK created on a different Korg model. If the SET was created on a similar keyboard then you just need to be fully aware of the configuration saved in that SET.

Korg documentation specifies NEVER to load GLOBAL created on another keyboard ( - e.g. GLOBAL from a PA1XPro loaded onto PA2XPro etc and vs ...)

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I am coming from is that two and a half years ago I bought my Pa1x. In my initial naiive enthusiasm I downloaded and "loaded" just about every .SET file I could find. Most of them didn't work. Some of them crashed my keyboard. It took me a long time to discover the various incompatibility issues between different .SET files.

Now, I never "load" an unknown .SET file on my Pa2x. AT most I will "open" the subdirectories until I find a SOUND or STYLE folder and then I open the .PCG or .STY files inside until I find the specific sound or style I think I want. Then I just Load that single file.

GLOBAL and SONGBOOK folders inside .SET files cause the worst problems. So I always delete them. I think anyone operating a file download site should automatically clean up their .SET files by doing the same thing.

But the issue remains that file/data compatibility between Korg OS versions and keyboards is in a complete mess!

Regards,
Rob
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete and Rob Smile

Pete,

The .SET files that i have on my pa2x contain the GLOBAL and SONGBOOK subfolders but i never load them. it also contains the following sub folders:

MULTISMP
PAD
PCM
PERFORM
SOUND
STYLE

I only use SOUND, PERFORM and STYLE.

Is this safe or not?

I havent had any problems, and i think the .SET was not created on the pa2x.

Thanks
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the tutorial on loading and merging .SET files here, in other words "how to have safe SETs" Surprised

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38397&start=15
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rob i formatted SSD, whit SSD format utility file, updated OS, after that i loaded the file containing the whole PA program,OS RES, 130 MB , And now confused couse there are 2 difrent OS RES, one 8 mb, one 130 MB , What is the difrent!Pls help!¨TNX

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Asena, I believe one file is just the OS and the other is the OS and Res. The file name will give you the indicator. Anyway you need to use the larger file and it will install both OS and resources at the same time. Takes a while, but very easy to do!
lets unite

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have UPgraded to NEw OS and my keyboard has copmletely stop making sound>>> I have no sound @ all. Some one please help!!!!
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets unite wrote:
I have UPgraded to NEw OS and my keyboard has copmletely stop making sound>>> I have no sound @ all. Some one please help!!!!

What is your keyboard? Please confirm if you did exactly what the "how to" guide at the start of this thread says? Did you use the correct files for your keyboard? Did the downloads complete OK and what were the file sizes? Did you read and follow the installation notes inside the two .zip files?

Regards,
Rob
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: