Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixer or soundcard for recording synths?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vagif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Mixer or soundcard for recording synths? Reply with quote

I am about to decide how to record audio from M3 and couple of other external modules to my PC. I started looking at various mixer options, and there fairly attractive mixers with USB output, like Edirol M16-DX. But the more I think about using mixer to record audio from multiple synths, the more it looks redundant to me. A mixer comes with knobs and sliders to adjust level, pan, eq. Why should a keyboard player bother about all this if all audio signals are routed to a DAW software where all these options (and much more) are available. Isn't a better choice to use a soundcard (internal or external) with multiple inputs and avoid adjusting any sound on its way to a DAW? And there are plenty of sound cards with mic inputs, so vocals and guitars can be recorded too.

So in case you don't do live gigs and mainly play keyboards, is there any reason to prefer a mixer and not a sound card?
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So in case you don't do live gigs and mainly play keyboards, is there any reason to prefer a mixer and not a sound card?

No, not really.
I use a mixer, because my E-MU 1212M Soundcard has only two inputs, and we rehearse the band at my studio, so I need a lot of inputs for that.
A firewire mixer might be a good way for you to go.
Very Happy
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

What about the price tag?
You can choose between a lot of options...but if you need to have both a mixer and an audio interface, the Onyx series from Mackie is a very very good choice.
You can also choose something from Presonus, lots of nice quality inputs at a reasonable price.

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
genanr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking about getting a mixer, and would like any suggestions.

I too am thinking about getting a FW mixer. I do not plan on playing live, but would like to play without using the computer all the time (I use one all day long). For the most part, I will be a one man band. I currently have a guitar, emx-1, and r3. I plan on getting a Radias and M3 in the near future (I might get rid of the r3 when I get the Radias). Obviously I won't be playing all those at the same time, but the m3 (and EMX) can do some sequencing, which could play several instruments while I play the guitar, if I really wanted to. So, the ability to play without and computer is a main reason I want a mixing board (if I used software, I'd probably end up buying a control surface anyways) and the FW interface is there so I can use the computer when I want to use it as a sequencer, use a softsynth, etc., and to record.

One question is how many channels do I really need? I see about 10 (guitar counts as 2 due to FX) plus a few more for individual outs when I want to use them. The most cost effective board I see for this is the phonic 24mkII.

Are there other solutions that would be better? I'd like to keep the cost down below 900 or so max, the 24mkII costs around 650-700, but I would pay a bit more for better gear.

Thanks,

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: