Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone with the R3 Tempo issue read this!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aequitas123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Anyone with the R3 Tempo issue read this!!! Reply with quote

Just got this, after some pressing, from Korg:

Problem

The tempo value changes intermittently. The value may only change slightly, or flicker between two values, but each change causes the LCD display to update. This constant display switching makes it difficult use the other functions of the unit. The problem occurs sporadically and may not always show up during testing.

Solution

Korg has determined that the tempo circuit in a small number of R3 units may be sensitive to electrical noise. This problem can occur in units with serial numbers lower than 006151. However, not all units below this serial number will exhibit the problem. Units that do have the issue should be modified by adding a 1000pF capacitor to filter out the noise.
kibbels

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Taking mine to the repair shop next week and will bring this info along in case they aren't aware. Hopefully get it fixed faster Smile
willbe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tip !
Now we know !!
kibbels

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fixed! Dropped the R3 off this morning for repair and picked it up about 2 hours later and no more bouncing tempo!
mantras

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit! I bought a second hand and it is having this problem. I have no warranty with it.. Sad

Is it possible to solder on this with the friend of a help or is it a dumb idea?

I really need it fixed Crying or Very sad

Where should it be added to filter out the noise? Between the knob encoder and the thingy that recieves its signals?
victordamr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone with the R3 Tempo issue read this!!! Reply with quote

I bought a second hand too!!!
Has someone more technical info about this...? Please...
slammah2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantras wrote:
Damnit! I bought a second hand and it is having this problem. I have no warranty with it.. Sad

Is it possible to solder on this with the friend of a help or is it a dumb idea?

I really need it fixed Crying or Very sad

Where should it be added to filter out the noise? Between the knob encoder and the thingy that recieves its signals?

Dont Crying or Very sad...back up your patches, call Korg and find your local service people...

If you Fkk it up yourself, what do you do then??? throw it away???
I would have the local Guy who normally fixes the waranteed Korgs , fix any second hand one....Firstly, he has the proper instructions, the know how, and all of the tools to get it in right the right way...The hour he spends getting it right will save you the time of trying to find the right part, tools,instructions,and the procedure for getting inside...
and save you the embarrasment of bringing it to him later with bigger problems at a longer bench time...
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
emeraldquay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: R3 - tempo problem - anyone tell me? Reply with quote

If I bought a 2nd hand R3 and it turned out it had this problem someone suggested above in the thread

And I took it to a proper Korg service place for repair

how much do you figure the job would cost me approx.?

Confused
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: R3 - tempo problem - anyone tell me? Reply with quote

emeraldquay wrote:
If I bought a 2nd hand R3 and it turned out it had this problem someone suggested above in the thread

And I took it to a proper Korg service place for repair

how much do you figure the job would cost me approx.?

Confused

What ever he charges an hour labour plus parts...
My Korg was fixed by a local guy that also fixed my Behringer, and Souncraft...
He gets reimbursed from the Manufacturer if it is verified to be under warrantee....

Because he is the repairer for Waranteed stuff ... he has everything at his disposal....and he could quote you the time for a fix in advance...
I would presume somewhere around 80 an hour for labour and your part.... 1.5 hours?

Maybe cheaper if you say you have cash....
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
willyraccoons

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem but with the 4th parameter knob.

could be the solution something similar to this ??
shabbee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: General info Reply with quote

If any of the pots exhibit random output, this is normally due to a faulure of the pot. This can happen if the knob suffers any impact as this basically cracks the conductive track inside the pot or distorts the wiper on the pot thus affecting it's correct function. It is standard practice to fit a 0.1uF cap across the output of a control pot as this acts as a LPF to remove any noise from the control signal.

The R3 already has a LPF on its control pots
diegombass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem and my SN is higher than 10.000... But not always this problem...

But my biggest problem is when I sync tempo to another machine... well, with a PC and the Ableton Live.

Thnx
shabbee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a MIDI sync problem maybe look into this. Try syncing to different programs on your PC, is the sync error with any program or just one in particular? If it's just one then the finger points to the software rather than the R3. How do you connect to the PC, the R3 USB port or a MIDI interface?

As a last test try syncing to another keyboard arp or workstation sequencer.

Eliminate as much as you can and try as many different configurations as you can, that way you can narrow down the cause.

Good luck Smile
diegombass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answer, I'll try to do that...

I've syncronized by USB and 5pin conection, but only with ableton. Although the problem doesn't appear always, sometimes yes sometimes not.

I remember I tried to put the R3 as tempo master and the ableton as slave and, without turning any knob, I saw the tempo number changing...

I wish you can understand my english Confused
jonesythetaetoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone detail how to carry out this fix as my R3 has the same problem and I bought it second hand so it's out of warranty. From what I have read so far it sounds like it's as simple as soldering a capacitor accross the tempo pot but could someone who has done the repair confirm this please, thanks.....Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: