Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Please help Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post here. Howdy doo?

Can you tell me....

Do i have to buy the digital/analog edition to get the legacy collection to work as an AU within Logic Pro 8?

If so, do these upgrades (AE and DE) both require usb dongles?

4) And, is there a discount for owners of the orignal Korg Legacy Collection like myself?

Thanks, Tim.

Last edited by kenty on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
loggerkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korguser.net/shop/software/support/faq.asp?faq=1
dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something that's not clear from your post: did you buy the entire package (KLC-1 plus MS-20 USB controller) second-hand? Or was just the controller second-hand? The reason I ask is that Korg don't allow resale of the software. Consequently, they will do nothing to help you get it running if you bought it from a previous owner.

Another puzzling part of your post is the fact that you say you're running version 1.2.2 of the software, yet version 1.2 requires a Syncrosoft dongle and will not run without it. You don't seem to have one? Did you purchase the v1.2 license upgrade from Korg ($15)?

Here's one thing you can try in the meantime – navigate to the following folder:

Boot HD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

Select the file named "LegacyCell.component" and hit Command-I to Get Info on it. In the window which appears, open the "General" panel. Under "Kind," you should see "Component (Universal)." If it says "Component (PowerPC)," it's not going to work on an Intel Mac and in fact Logic won't even see it.

Also, something that's not documented by Korg is the fact that even though Logic doesn't use VST files, when you install the KLC softwares you should not remove these files from your Mac. This is because the Audio Units are not true Audio Units at all, but Korg's own in-house wrappers for the VSTs. If you trash the VSTs, neither the standalones nor the AUs will work.

To answer your individual questions:

1. Yes, the KLC synths can be used either standalone, or as an AU or VST.

2. No, you don't have to buy the Digital Edition to get the KLC Collection to work.

3. Yes, both the AE (versions later than 1.1.10) and the DE require dongles. The DE comes with one in the box.

4. Yes, for KLC owners who wish to buy the DE (or vice versa). I think it's called something like the Preferred Owner Upgrade and you can get it from your local Korg Distributor.

This whole area is so confusing that Korg have had to create a FAQ dedicated to upgrading. You'll find it down the page on the Korg User website in the left-hand column under "User Support."

EDIT: loggerkey has just posted the URL above.

Kind regards.
kenty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Dave.

yes i bought the original KLC with ms20 controller

I'm not using a dongle and when i right click to get info on the legacy cell, poysynth, ms20, it says version 1.2.2 for all of them (i didn't buy the v1.2 license either).

Also, when i navigate to audio/plugins/components and hit command-I, it says 'Component (Power PC).

Dave, you say if it says this it's not going to work on an Intel Mac and Logic but it is only not working with Logic. It seems to work fine as a standalone.
dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's how it works: Intel Macs need all their software to be in Universal Binary format. You CAN use PowerPC application software on an Intel Mac but it runs under a PowerPC emulation layer called Rosetta which incurs a pretty substantial performance hit. This is why the standalone versions work.

Logic, on the other hand, is a Universal Binary – it cannot run a PowerPC plug-in because it has no way to implement the Rosetta layer between the plug-in and itself. So it will simply ignore all PowerPC plug-ins.

I still don't understand whether your software was bought from an official Korg dealer or whether you bought it from some guy on eBay. As I said above, if it was previously installed and registered by the person you bought it from, then he sold it illegally to you and you are not entitled to any tech support or updates from Korg.

I also have no idea how you're managing to run this software without a dongle unless it's running in demo mode? Also, if you haven't paid for a v1.2 license, I find it difficult to understand how you could be running v1.2.2.

My advice is to get in touch with your country's Korg distributor and try to sort this out with them. Your questions seem to be not so much about technical support, but licensing. And only Korg can help you with that.

Kind regards.
kenty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!

Last edited by kenty on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally, you don't own the license because it's not resaleable – the seller sold it to you illegally and Korg are under no obligation to you as the second buyer, regardless of whether you've changed the original registration details or not.

You have two choices:

1. You can try to get your money back from this guy (or at least some of it) on the basis that he sold you nothing but a USB controller and a CD-ROM – the software license cannot legally have been part of the sale. I have no idea how you would do this with eBay because I never buy anything there.

2. You can continue to pretend to Korg that you are the original owner. Leaving aside all legal and moral considerations, complications may arise at some stage in the future, perhaps when you need to pay for upgrades or when you need technical support.

I'm not a lawyer so I can't give you any legal advice.

Whatever you decide to do, one thing is certain: in order to get KLC to work inside Logic, you need to buy a license for v1.2 direct from Korg and a Syncrosoft dongle.

Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: