Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help required with M50 boot problem (updating panels) - OK!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 06 May 2003
Posts: 4842
Location: Northants - UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Help required with M50 boot problem (updating panels) - OK! Reply with quote

I don't have a M50 but a friend of mine does, and he has the following problem.

His M50-88 is not booting properly. It starts by displaying a message that says "updating right panel", then "updating left panel". Then the synth is asking the user to reboot, and when my friend reboots, the same cycle of "updating..." until reboot request starts again.

Any help appreciated.


Last edited by Francois on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
StudioMan
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 271
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem.

I posted the fix. Korg thought this was hardware related, but now has determined it's software related.

You must work fast, get into combi, and hit the upgrade, and run the first flash update.

Then do the same thing with the 2nd update.

I NEVER had it happen again once I was updated to 1.05.

Let me know if you need more info.

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 06 May 2003
Posts: 4842
Location: Northants - UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass that on, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 06 May 2003
Posts: 4842
Location: Northants - UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem sorted.

My friend couldn't do what Mike said as he could never go to the relevant menu.

In the end, he opened the m50, disconnected the motherboard from its battery, and the synth restarted as normal. He was then able to update the OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
StudioMan
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 271
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Another fix for this problem/issue??
Interesting..

The man with the plan (Jerry from Korg USA) is probably interested in hearing this solution!

Jerry is really on top of things!

What are you thinking Jerry? Same issue as I had? Or just the same symptom to an unrelated issue? Do you think this could have fixed my issue on my original keyboard?

Is this battery something that is going to need replaced every so often? Does it void the warranty if the consumer opens the M50 to change the battery?

Thanks for everything Jerry!

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 06 May 2003
Posts: 4842
Location: Northants - UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
Does it void the warranty if the consumer opens the M50 to change the battery?


It would, but my friend is a Korg reseller so the customer still has a full warranty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jingleman



Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Boot Problems Continue With M50 Reply with quote

Short of opening up the hood of the M50 and disconnecting the motherboard battery connector, is there any fix for the "Updating Right Panel...Updating Left Panel...Completed...Turn Power Off" problem. Can't get any other menus to come up on screen.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Jingleman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FifthElement
Junior Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Posts: 91
Location: Chester, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with my M50 but there is a hard reboot option - don't know if this would help, but disconnecting the internal battery sounds a bit drastic to me and shouldn't be necessary in this day and age.

From the manual:

"If operation of the M50 should become unstable, you
can initialize it.
Turn off the power, and then, while holding down the
RESET CONTROLS switch and REALTIME
CONTROL switch, turn the power on.
The M50 will be initialized. While the data is being
loaded, the display will indicate “Now writing into
internal memory.”

You need to save all your custom data if you can beforehand of course.
_________________
Korg M50-88, Nord Electro2 73, Roland JV-90

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StudioMan
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 271
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't save crap! IT'S ALL GONE!!!

But you can fix the unit.

You have to work fast and be ready a head of time.

Get the 1st file update onto your card.

Turn on the unit with the reset (while holding down the
RESET CONTROLS switch and REALTIME
CONTROL switch, turn the power on).

Now work fast. You only have seconds, quickly get into the media mode, start the update with the 1st file.

Then do the same with the second file.

It worked PERFECT for mine when I brought the original one home.

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellowstu



Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
Well, you can't save crap! IT'S ALL GONE!!!

But you can fix the unit.

You have to work fast and be ready a head of time.

Get the 1st file update onto your card.

Turn on the unit with the reset (while holding down the
RESET CONTROLS switch and REALTIME
CONTROL switch, turn the power on).

Now work fast. You only have seconds, quickly get into the media mode, start the update with the 1st file.

Then do the same with the second file.

It worked PERFECT for mine when I brought the original one home.

Mike


I just got the m50 88 key today and i have this problem too but can't get that fix to work because nothing happens when you press the buttons so you can't get into media or global modes. How did you do this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xenomorph
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 315
Location: U.S.A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a common problem? I guess if mine arrives in a few days with this hiccup I won't be 2 surprised

1.05. is the latest version? Are any shipping with the latest already installed? Guess I'll find out near the end of the week. Laughing

**I see that 1.1.0 is latest, Thanks
_________________
Life is short, play a KORG!

Future: Kronos
Current: KARMA
Past: M1, X5D, N364, X50, TR61, M-5061, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme-61
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
StudioMan
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 271
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowstu wrote:
StudioMan wrote:
Well, you can't save crap! IT'S ALL GONE!!!

But you can fix the unit.

You have to work fast and be ready a head of time.

Get the 1st file update onto your card.

Turn on the unit with the reset (while holding down the
RESET CONTROLS switch and REALTIME
CONTROL switch, turn the power on).

Now work fast. You only have seconds, quickly get into the media mode, start the update with the 1st file.

Then do the same with the second file.

It worked PERFECT for mine when I brought the original one home.

Mike


I just got the m50 88 key today and i have this problem too but can't get that fix to work because nothing happens when you press the buttons so you can't get into media or global modes. How did you do this?


That suck! Sorry, I can't help you if the above doesn't work.

If you picked it up, take it back. If it was shipped, I'd 1st call Korg's tech support, very helpful to me...

Sorry I can't help more.

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellowstu



Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
mellowstu wrote:
StudioMan wrote:
Well, you can't save crap! IT'S ALL GONE!!!

But you can fix the unit.

You have to work fast and be ready a head of time.

Get the 1st file update onto your card.

Turn on the unit with the reset (while holding down the
RESET CONTROLS switch and REALTIME
CONTROL switch, turn the power on).

Now work fast. You only have seconds, quickly get into the media mode, start the update with the 1st file.

Then do the same with the second file.

It worked PERFECT for mine when I brought the original one home.

Mike


I just got the m50 88 key today and i have this problem too but can't get that fix to work because nothing happens when you press the buttons so you can't get into media or global modes. How did you do this?


That suck! Sorry, I can't help you if the above doesn't work.

If you picked it up, take it back. If it was shipped, I'd 1st call Korg's tech support, very helpful to me...

Sorry I can't help more.

Mike


No worries, i took it back and exchanged it and its working great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StudioMan
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 271
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellowstu,

Glad it worked out for you!

Make sure you go to the Karma site and give Stephen your serial #, he's putting together a cool database for us..

He's got an AWESOME forum there too related to the M50. And that guy REALLY knows the M50 (As he is the designer of the M50-Karma deal)!

Keep us posted as to how you like your new M50!

Have FUN!!!

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Musikmaker



Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my Korg M50 in January 2009.
About a month ago (in May 2010), my keyboard displayed signs that said, "Updating Right Panel... Updating Left Panel...." then it says, "Completed. Please turn the power off." It does not go to any other menus at all. I tried holding down the "reset controls and the realtime control" buttons, and then then doing the first update, but nothing is working. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is there any other solution?
Thank You.
_________________
Musikmaker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group