Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe Air (Just a concept by me, no actual hardware)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Electribe Air (Just a concept by me, no actual hardware) Reply with quote

Just a concept for a new Electribe.

Since there is no preview word or rumors about a new electribe coming out I decided to make myself a concept of how I think it should be.
I kept in mind that it should be based on previous models and synths (software and hardware), for keeping the costs for R&D low.
I used technologie and hardware from the korg R3, Kaoss Pad 3 and EMX/ESX.

I still think the Electribe series have great potential (my live set is based on EMX/ESX) and I don't think they should be discontinued.

Roughly my concept is based on a EMX / ESX but with the following changes:
- MMT synthesis based on the R3 (8 polyphonic)
- Multi mode filters with drive and EQ controls
- Effects based on the KP3, 3 main FX blocks with each 3 linkable effects
- 3 FX edit knobs and a wet / dry control for each drum/synth sound (so you can chose how much you want your sound to be processed with fx)
- Sampling for making your own drums and instant resample option with slice steps (as on the KP3)
- USB editor for making patches and transferring samples
- Drums can be edited with the modulation section, filter section, effects (same options as with the synth parts)
- Master compression instead of tubes, because I don't think korg will use tubes again with electribes on a master output
- SD cards as external memory
- estimated price: 800€, 700£. This would fill the gap between the current Electribes and the Electron MD / MnM, about the same price as a Roland MC-808.

I first wanted to make an Electribe with Legacy synthesis (only MS-20, or even with Polysix and MonoPoly), but I think this would be too expensive for R&D (software for Mac/PC is not just transferable to an Electribe, you have to reprogram everything wich would result in an expensive unit)

I named it Electribe Air because it had to be different from EMX, ESX, EA-1, ...
The R is a link to the Korg R3 synthesizer, and the design of the logo (air) refers to the radias logo design.

So here it is! :

Last edited by Sarrova-Q on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 9 times in total
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans, you really put some effort into this.

I will nitpick one thing and that is the decimator idea. Personally, I've never used the effect before. I'm sure there are others on here that will agree. I'd have the effect but I would not have it next to the almighty filter controls.

http://myspace.com/audioruso
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ruso, thanks for the comment.

You were right, the decimator is too specific so I changed it into a simple EQ section wich would be very helpful on the drum samples too.
m4m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add at leats 8 outputs(more like 8 adats and 4 analogs would be a minimum)
polyphonic sequence
loops/slice/stretch parts
non nrpn edition for the drums
shabudua

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add a touchpad interface/arpeggiator similar to the Kaossilator but with more robust editing and composition features.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff- Put me down for one!
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking machine, Sarrova! Very Happy
I would make the argument that the efx section in the Electribe should be totally overhauled, though. Three speparate effects - with many more algorithms - should be available per part. This may sound as asking for too much, but I don't think so. The 3 effect architecture have been with us for a long, long time, but lately several synths have gone for much more generous solutions; Novation and Access, for example, have provided several efx per part for years now (I think the Access synths have up to seven efx pr part times 16).

The time of compromises in the efx department is over, also for smaller boxes.
qtuner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you forgot the arpegiator! The touchpad and slider are a must for live performance.
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ m4m: the addition of adats / more outputs is a great idea, but I'm not shure about the bigger price tag that comes with it. Maybe 6 analog outputs would be a great idea.
Polyphonic Sequence would be available, as you can see the engine is 8 polyphonic like the korg R3.
Loops/slice/stretch parts are also available. You can set every drum part on either of those, wich would result in more options. You don't need exclusive parts for this features as they're available on all drum parts.
The nrpn issue is indeed questionable, but again I'm afraid the reprogramming would be a big cost and the goal is too keep it affordable.

@ shabudua: great thinking, but the problam with such a touch pad is that it takes lots of space and I don't find them very accurate (try playing perfect sequences on a kaossilator).
I rather have normal and accurate knobs instead.

@ robosardine: you got it Smile

@ Hugo: That's a fantastic idea and I think you're totally right. If the price tag doesn't raise too much it should be implemented. I will take a look at the hardware aspects, and change a few things.

@ qtuner: there still is an arp available (see button on the top - ARP). The touchpad and slider had too go as I wanted too have sample banks instead. These sample banks can work like on the KP3. When you resample and shift-press the button of a loop in the sample bank, the 16 steps on the right become on/off switches for the slices like on the KP3.

Thanks for thinking and giving advice!

Last edited by Sarrova-Q on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the following:

- 6 analog outputs
- Hold function for mute and solo
- 3 FX blocks with each 3 linkable effects (parts can be assigned to one of those 3 effect blocks and inside the FX block to FX1, FX2 or FX3 like on the EMX/ESX). There wasn't enough space for having 3 FX/part and I didn't wanted to put the FX section in menu's.
m4m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adat outs are WAY less exoensive to use than analog cause there is no DA to use, so it was a way to cut cost
mentasm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in my 2cents for a "Copy Motion" button
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ m4m: I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning, I added an extra ADAT output (I could remove the extra analog out 5 & 6 at this point but I'm going to keep them for now).
@ mentasm: I like that idea!

New stuff added:
- extra ADAT output
- Copy Motion feature
- I changed the ordening of the FX section for making it more ergonomic and obvious
- because I didn't want those in a menu, I created two more buttons above the 16 steps for assigning parts to an FX block and FX - ehm effect Smile
Mattyoak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the kaoss pad?
Sarrova-Q

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned before: the problem with such a touch pad is that it takes lots of space and I don't find them very accurate (try playing perfect sequences on a kaossilator).
I rather have normal and accurate knobs instead.

Last and final update posted (I edited some small things like the LEDs and other details).

Thank you all for thinking and giving advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: