Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to customize the scale of a style?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martinkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: how to customize the scale of a style? Reply with quote

Is there a way to apply a change to the tunning of the scale and save that with a style? i know i can customize the subscale and play quarter tone or whatever in realtime tracks. Could that be extended to pre-recorded Intro and Endings as well? or do i have to export the intros and apply pitchbend to every single note that it needs to sound like a quarter tone?
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

In style play mode you have a new tab in the "Menu" called Sub-Scale.

You can select one of the four quarter tone sub-scales SC1, 2, 3, or 4 and this scale will be used by the currently selected style (all parts except tracks set to Drums and Percussion).

Then, when you do a "Write Style Performance" from the drop-down list, the SC setting is saved with the style.

Best regards,
Rob
Martinkorg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
Hi Martin,

In style play mode you have a new tab in the "Menu" called Sub-Scale.

You can select one of the four quarter tone sub-scales SC1, 2, 3, or 4 and this scale will be used by the currently selected style (all parts except tracks set to Drums and Percussion).

Then, when you do a "Write Style Performance" from the drop-down list, the SC setting is saved with the style.

Best regards,
Rob

Hello Rob,
are you sure about this? I knew about this, however, i hear the changes made only to the realtime tracks, and not to the ACC tracks at all. I chose a modern ballad (factory style) and i assigned " the B note" to a quartertone. When i play the B sounds like a quarter tone B, but Any thing "B" in the Intro1-3, and Vars sounds like natural western B. I need every single B in that style turn into a quartertone B.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

I replied incorrectly from memory because my Pa2x is away for repair at the moment. Yes what I said will only change the scale for the keyboard tracks.

Is there a "scale" tab when you are in Style edit mode? Can you select a different scale preset and then do a "Write Style" ? I would be very surprised if Korg have not provided a way of usinmg the quarter tone presets within ACC tracks. Sorry I can't check it at the moment.

Best regards,
Rob
some1uk03

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Menu page, Preferences there is an option to apply the Scale to Upper Tracks only, Arrangement Side Only, or on all keys.

You need to change the options from there, so the scale is applied to the whole keyboard and not just the upper tracks.

Then the B will play with a quarter tone and not the western B in the accompaniment side.

This is off of my head and its for the PA1X. I'm guessing but should be same for the Pa2x too.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some1uk03 wrote:
In the Menu page, Preferences there is an option to apply the Scale to Upper Tracks only, Arrangement Side Only, or on all keys.

You need to change the options from there, so the scale is applied to the whole keyboard and not just the upper tracks.

Then the B will play with a quarter tone and not the western B in the accompaniment side.

This is off of my head and its for the PA1X. I'm guessing but should be same for the Pa2x too.

Thanks, a helpful reminder that we can apply a Global scale change over the whole keyboard. I think Martin's question was how to achieve this on a style-by-style basis so that the scale preset SC1, 2, 3 or 4 (or none) can be changed automatically each time you select a different style.

As you will see from my previous mail, we know how to save the scale preset into a performance so that the keyboard tracks can use a different SC scale preset each time the performance is selected.

We now just need to confirm whether or not it is possible to save a preset SC1, 2, 3 or 4 with each Style so that the ACC tracks etc will remember it. Obviously we don't want a quarter tone scale to apply to percussion, and I wonder how "Guitar Mode" tracks will adapt to quarter tone scales. There doesn't seem to be any specific mention about this in the OS2 release notes or user manual.

Best regards,
Rob
Martinkorg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some1uk03 wrote:

yes, they have the same setting, but still it's not doing what i wanted it to do. If i change the setting to all tracks or even lower tracks, it does effect the "B "notes when changing chords, but it doesn't effect the notes of "intro sections". Let's say i hit Am chord and have the intro 1 playing. All the "B" notes are played as Western B, and not Quarter tone B (There's a chord progression in Intro 1, although i'm still holding Am chord) . All those melodies of intro are still ignoring the quarter tone setting and subscale settings. Any ideas?
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Like I said I can't find any documentation about this.

I suspect that the functionality required for quarter tone scale styles and intros is not there yet.

I think we need to ask someone from Korg to respond, and we'll have to be patient until they return from holiday.

Best regards,
Rob
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,
I just experimented with a midi file that i had. I would normally give pitchbend information to those specific notes in pro tools before importing the file in PA 800, but that's not needed. If you set the performance for scales to all tracks, it'll apply even to the melodies of your intros. So if you have a note that is going to be tunned to a quarter tone all the way through, just set your subscale as you like, and as long as your lower tracks are set to it as well, you'll hear that quarter tone.

Martinkorg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assyrianpianist wrote:
Martin,
I just experimented with a midi file that i had. I would normally give pitchbend information to those specific notes in pro tools before importing the file in PA 800, but that's not needed. If you set the performance for scales to all tracks, it'll apply even to the melodies of your intros. So if you have a note that is going to be tunned to a quarter tone all the way through, just set your subscale as you like, and as long as your lower tracks are set to it as well, you'll hear that quarter tone.

No Way! i tried that before. Are you sure?
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinkorg wrote:
Assyrianpianist wrote:
Martin,

No Way! i tried that before. Are you sure?

I tried again. It works like a charm.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:

Rob, i know you don't have your keyboard at the moment,but i just wanted to let you know that when i save the quarter tone (scale information) using "write style perf. i lose the information when i power off. I would like to save the subscale info with a style, so if i choose that style, it'll wake up with that particular scale info. Is this possible?

Sina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why you don't save your scale in STS 1,2,3,4 ??
Martinkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina wrote:
why you don't save your scale in STS 1,2,3,4 ??

Hi Sina, I didn't know that scale info could be saved in STS as well. That's a very cool thing,when you want to assign a quarter tone to only one STS. But still it doesn't make sense, if you want your style entirely be tunned to a quarter tone regardless of what sound you choose. Then you would have to save that to 4 STS buttons?? There's no way of saving scale info with a style in one shot?
marlo74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. I think MartinKorg is correct. When I am setting the quarter tone only the upper1, upper2, & lower tracks are getting affected and not the style tracks (except the drums and percussion of course). Assyrianpianist, are you sure you are able to do this? If so, then you must have some kind of global setting or something that we need to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: