Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

time signature keeps changing in song mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltobob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: time signature keeps changing in song mode Reply with quote

hello all, I searched but can't find the answer in the forums. I'm brand new to the M50 (used to use the N364 as master board and sequencer) but I'm having a hard time grasping the time signature setting in song mode. I'm trying to write a song in 6/8 time. All my patterns are recorded in 6/8 time but when I "put them to track" the main song time signature keeps switching back to 4/4. I read in the manual about pressing rec/write and then changing the time signature but that only last as many measures as I'm willing to sit there and wait. There HAS to be way to set the time signature ONCE for a whole song, it makes no sense (and is impractical) to sit there and "record" nothing for the length of a song just to set a time signature other than 4/4...I'm missing something!! HELP!!!
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have my M50 fired up at the moment, but I believe the changes need to be made are more than likely in global mode but can not say for sure, but try taking a peak at the global menus perhaps. I remember pointing out to someone how to change time signatures but I too remember it would revert back to 4/4 after each recording take if memory serves me. I would be interested in learning the answer to this one as well.
baltobob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried looking in Global...nothing about time signatures Rolling Eyes Thanks for the tip though, I'll keep trying!!
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to measure 001.000, press rec to arm the sequencer, the time signature should become something like */* if i remember well, the with alpha-dial select the time signature you need, press rec and start recording. this signature will apply to the whole song

if you have already some music on it, i guess you to do as above selecting a track you are not using as recording track and go through all the measures you have already recorded
baltobob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that method is that I'm trying to use patterns as the building blocks for my song. So, I "put to track" pattern XX, which is in 6/8 at measure one, but the default time signature is 4/4 so the pattern doesn't play correctly (of course)...my method of creating a song is pattern oriented. After I chain all of my patterns together I then overdub leads, subtle changes, etc. With this mode of setting the time signature I'll have to just start " fake recording" and just let it go until I have an appropriate number of measures (or enough to "put my patterns" to track)... It just seems odd. With the N364 you just elected a time signature when you first set-up your song parameters. Then to make a change within a song you used the method we're talking about.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across this issue on my M3 as well. The trouble, it seems, is with the Master Track and the default Song Length. When you first create a new song, the default song length is 64. And on the Master Track, each measure has its own time signature, and all of them will default to 4/4.

The quickest way for me to solve this issue is to simply change the song length to "1" and make a few adjustments, as follows:

So, go to Track Edit. Choose any track, except for the Master Track. Open the command menu and select Set Song Length. Change the value to 1.

Next, stay in Track Edit, but now select the Master Track. Open the command menu and choose Event Edit. Change the Time Signature value to your preference.

From now on, any new measures will automatically "inherit" the time signature you chose for measure 1. You should be able to simply drop in patterns on any track from here (or use step record) and everything should work fine with your chosen time sig. Alternatively, you can re-set the song length to another value, then optionally confirm that all measures are what you want by looking at the Master Track in Event Edit.

Hope this helps.
baltobob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolio...I'll definitely give that a try!!! Thanks!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised that I forgot to make one very important comment regarding the above: You should only change the song length to a value of 1 in a brand new song, i.e. BEFORE you have recorded anything into the sequencer. Otherwise all of your recorded data on all tracks will be deleted.

If you already have data in your song, then you'll need to edit the Master Track for each measure.
baltobob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed since I've been working with the sequencer for a couple of weeks now that as long as I start with the 6/8 time measure as the last measure in the song that every measure I manually add (by changing song length) is also set to 6/8...so I see what you're saying. Just create 1 bar at 6/8 then increase the song length (by setting it in track edit) as needed! Other than this oddity I so LOVE my M50!!!! I hope people realize what a great resource these forums really are...I love that someone is always willing to lend some advice!!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I've misunderstood your last post, but...

Once you set the song length to 1, you don't need to increase the song length. The song length will increase automatically as you add more patterns. I know that I wrote that you *could* change the length to confirm how it all looks on the Master Track, but it's not a requirement.

So let's say you got a new song. You start by setting its length to 1. If the first pattern you copy to the track is 4 measures long, the length of song will automatically become 4 measures. You place a second pattern at measure 5 that is 8 bars long, and now the song is 12 measures long, automatically.

So you don't need to change the song length again each time you want to add a new pattern.
baltobob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: