Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converted Samples How do I load them? Added Basics Help File
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrniceneasy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Converted Samples How do I load them? Added Basics Help File Reply with quote

This has probably come up many times but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Probably me being 'dense' here but I've studied the advanced sound edit bit in the Manual and can't seem to go any further than everything it says, or my understanding of what it says.....

Here go's, what I've done so far.
I have some Tyros2 tvn voices. I've converted them to ksf Triton files and put them on my USB stick

1] I pressed the sound button and pressed 'Record'

2] Opened page Menu and 'load' from stick

3] opened sample folder as an example Alto Sax Block.1.wav

4] Load -. Yes go to Edit tab

5] page Menu -> write

6] Named sound -> Drum sample Family -> sfx

7] save to -> number 0 -> OK

8] Exit Record

9] Press Style play button

10] Press sound select and go to sfx button, user1 and user2.
Im thinking fx here as those are sound effects on yamaha T2...Doesn't seem right to me!

Where is the sound that I thought I'd just put there? Confused

EDIT: 03/02/09. Have now learned how to do what I want and have Compiled a Tutorial on the Basics of Importing my converted sounds with all the Help on site from Lee, Rob and Nikola.

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.box.net/shared/bl29f8s4g4

Last edited by mrniceneasy on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,
Last week I converted some sounds from another format to Korg Triton and it worked fine.I used Sound mode(record) and loaded the multisample ((KMP) and samples (KSF') then imported the sound progam (PCG).

Not sure I understand what your doing...if it's a drum kit you are doing...refer to Nedim's recent post on wave to drumkit.

If it's a standard sound like a Sax...and all you have so far is KSF's (samples only) then you need to create a multi-sample. Then, you can assign that multisample to a sound (basic OSC page).

Not sure if this is helping much? But I actually was succesful bringing a Kurzweil sound into the PA2XPRO and got it working pretty well. I'll help if I can here.

Lee
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with Lee. All you have done is load the sample. You now need to assign it as a multi-sample which applies the sample across a range of keys (or one-shot which would be for drum samples and assigns it to one key).

Once this is done you can then use it on the keyboard.

One query though, if it is a sax sound, why are you saving it as... 6] Named sound -> Drum sample Family -> sfx

Dennis
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. How do you make a multisample?

I know a multisample consists of a number of samples, the question is how many samples make up a multisample.

I have sampled all the notes accross the keyboard from a strings sound on a roland, how do i assign these samples to into a multisample??????

Thanks
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the advanced edit maunal, page 38...it describs the multisample edit process. That's where it's done if you need to make your own multisample,

Lee
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

I'm not able to follow the procedure one bit. It appears to be written for experts. I must admit i'm no expert here Embarassed

Can you provide any assistance?

I noted the Advanced manual mentions 604 multisamples provided by Korg in ROM. So where are the remaining multisamples that add up to 950 sounds in ROM?
nikola81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a multisample only from one sample, the basic idea is to set the original key of the sample and the range, the more you go from the original key the more unnatural the sound gets, it is not an exact science, you play by your ear... Go from the lowest notes and build whole keyboard range.
As for 604 multisamples and 950 sounds, of course that you are aware that you can use same multisamples in different sounds. There are piano sounds that use same multisample of acoustic piano but with different envelope, frequency, effect settings, that way you can have totally different sounds based on same multisamples.
mrniceneasy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys. Thanks for answering the post,

What I'm attempting to do is simply load new 'voices' to my sound banks to use with styles. Easy to do on Tyros2/3 without splitting samples etc.
I thought it strange that I would have to add the sample to a Drum kit. That's what I understood from reading the Advanced Edit Manual.

Unfortunately there is no way that I know of that will directly convert tvn voices to compatible pa2x voices, that's why I converted them to Triton samples . All seems a little complicated to my mind when all I want is to load a User 'Voice' to use as I'm playing the keyboard.

Where has the sample 'disappeared' to on the keyboard. Do I have to now create a multisample from a sample where I already have the whole thing converted on my usb stick with all the samples to that sound already included?

More than a little confusing to a 'Newbie' to Korg and not very encouraging as I have lots of very expensive tvn voices for T2 from the likes of Pemo and World of Keys that I would love to perform a straight convertion. Seems like that's not possible...... Shocked Confused
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikola,

Thanks for he response it makes more sense now. I have just need you to clarify what you mean by "original key of the sample and range".
nikola81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkorg wrote:
Nikola,

Thanks for he response it makes more sense now. I have just need you to clarify what you mean by "original key of the sample and range".

Ok, for example you want to sample a guitar, first you have to decide if you want to sample every note, which would be the best but it would take a lot memory, or you sample every, say, fifth note. You start with c2 for example, that is the original key of that sample, next g2, the range for first sample would be from c2 to f#2 (just below second sample), for the second sample original key is g2. Also with sampling you will come across 'loop' and 'loop point' that is used for continuous type of sound, there you sample a small portion and by adding loop point you get continuous sound. That is easy for synth sounds but looping acoustic instruments is much difficult, you have to get a correct match in sound waves or you will get a 'click' effect on loop point.
dani_korg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: kmp Reply with quote

hi there.
i have a question:
it is posible to create a KMP right on PC?
i just convert some wav files into KSF files with Awave.
i want to know if it is posible to create a KMP with this KSF files right on PC.
thanks
dANIEL
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not that I know of...the KMP needs to be built on the PA...unless there is some software I am not aware of?

I know there is software to convert sounds from one instrument to another (I use Chicken systems translator PRO) and it does the KMP and KSF's and the PCG's(which need tweeking)
Lee
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a little bit of what I have learned,
A multisample is what you assign to a oscilator in the sound mode basic/OSC page. It is what actually tells that OSC what samples to play based on which key you play on the kebed.

A multisample is the way the samples are ASSIGNED to the key range on the keybed Like Nikola said...depending on the sound quality you want AND the type of instrument...you can use any number of SAMPLES to make this happen, up to 61 (PA800) or 76(PA2).

The original key value is the nte that was originally sampled. Then you assign it o that note on the keybed AND others lower and higher if you don't have a sample for each note. This is done in the multisample edit page 38 of theadvanced edit manual.

The samples themselves MAY need some diting deending of where they came from, see page 31-33.

The best way to see all this and learn it is to look at some factory sounds and all the things about them. However you cannot edit (look at) the mltisample or samples that are in ROM as they are protectd.

Read/study the sampling chapter of the advanced edit manual a few times too.

Actually what would be nice is to have a complete tutorial on this.

I have had some success but I am new to it too, others hear could write a tutorial, but don't know if they have time.

Hope this helps a little anyways.

Lee
mrniceneasy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Nope, not that I know of...the KMP needs to be built on the PA...unless there is some software I am not aware of?

I know there is software to convert sounds from one instrument to another (I use Chicken systems translator PRO) and it does the KMP and KSF's and the PCG's(which need tweeking)
Lee

Hi Lee. I think here lies my Answer, somewhat, as my question really was about straight conversions from one keyboard to load onto another Brand of keyboard. T2 to pa2x.

With regard to Awave as mentioned by Daniel. I used the same program to convert to ksf format. I contacted Marcus at the site and they do not at this time support the pa series.

Thanks for trying to help Guys. Appreciated and all information gratefully received Surprised

edit: Just found out how to go into the Time Slice page by pressing ''Menu'' on the Keyboard and NOT the Screen Menu. No wonder I couldn't find it! Duhh! Another step forward....... Embarassed
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith...OK, question for you...does Awave convert to either Korg Triton or Wave?

If so, you should be able to convert the Yamaha TVN to either one of those...then IMPORT to the PA series as it reads Triton or Wave.

Triron would be the preferred as then you could also import the triton sounds )PCG) well as multisample/samples.

Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: