Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advise about Speakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Advise about Speakers Reply with quote

Hi all,

I want some advise about speakers. I have the pa1xpro and i have 2 bass speakers of Randall, now i know that i can´t get the best sound out of a bass speaker.

I now want to buy a monitor speaker. I don´t know very much about speakers but what is important to look at..frequentie??

I only need it for Home practise...

and what kind of speakers do you pa1x players use?

thanxs
wittid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i usw a Z5500 from Logitech but with JBL Control 1 Tops (instead of the original from Logitech).

Sounds great.

cu
Detlef
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Yamaha Stagepass 300 for both stereo home monitoring (both speakers on stands) and mono stage monitoring (one speaker on side). The sound is surprisingly good even at low volume home use. Its also a good stereo set up for a small to medium venue. The only downside is the cooling fan is noticable when playing at very low volume.
If you want to use the same gear for home and a small venue then it's a good compromise. For strictly home use though you should consider high quality stereo monitors - I'd avoid PC 5.1/6.1 setups.
Regards,
John
PAPAPETE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: advise about speakers Reply with quote

Hi Milo,

I use JBL EON 15G2s for performing, but at home a couple of Mackie HR624s seem to fill the bill for practicing and recording.

Happy Hunting
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Re Yamaha Stagepass Reply with quote

Hi John (Reuben)

I have recently been considering the Stagepass 300/500. I have a small band - singer, guitarist and me (Pa2Xpro) - the vocals will always go via the PA2Xpro as we use the harmoniser occasionally and I send the vocals out separately via outputs 1&2. It is unlikely that we will perform in large venues and, if we ever did, I would most likely hire gear for those occasions.

Do you think that adding a subwoofer to the Stagepass set up is necessary to get the "bass" from the keyboards? I was mostly concerned about the physical size of the Stagepass speakers and their ability to handle the "lows" of the drums and bass sounds.

So far, I have never heard them - you are the first person I know who has them....

Thanks for any help

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
To my ears the bass is maybe just a little lacking compared to headphones when the EQ is set to flat - but if you turn the bass up a little on the inbuilt mixer its fine.
Regards,
John
milo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanxs for the reply everyone. I see that the most users use studio monitors for home. I looked also for some prices, it is very very very expensive Shocked

But i was more thinking of using normal speakers. I looked for some speakers that fiths in my budget:

Behringer B 212
Phonic Impression 15
Phonic SEM 712
Phonic SEM 715

And as i said, I have very good Randall Bass speakers.

Does anyone have experience with one of these speakers, and what you recommend me, is het better to use a good headphone or use ( one of these) speakers.

Now my situation is like this: I use often headphone and when my bro and i practise we use 1 bass speaker ( 400 w), but i know of course that we can't get the perfect sound out of just a bass speaker. And when i use headphone to make my own sounds, and then use it via speaker, i get different values of volume in the sounds. So that is why i am searching for another monitor speaker.

So that was a lot of text Very Happy

byee
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Milo,

I recommend that you audition the Yamaha Stagepas 300 or 500 system as well as the other monitor speakers you mention. Monitors are the best possible sound for in-studio use, but they are too fragile and of insufficient output for use when performing at a gig.

Also the Stagepas 500 system could be used by both you and your brother and would give good bass as well as good keyboard and vocal sound, sufficient for pub and club venues, and would not break the bank.

Best regards,
Rob
wittid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

there´s a top system

Wharfedale Titan 12 Active.
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/TITANACTIVE/TITAN12ACTIVE/tabid/181/Default.aspx

Not so expensive and with a fantastic sound.

A friend of mine is doing DJ Jobs only with 2 Tops.

cu
Detlef Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
milo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanxs Rob & Wittid for the reply. I have looked at it. Rob, the speakers you mentioned are a pa set...I will try to find only 1 speaker, because i already got a mixer and amp. And i only need it for home...i can't make tooooo much noise:P

Wittid, the Titan 12 Active are a bit to expensive for me. Maybe something over a couple of years.

byee
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milo,
Don't forget that your keyboard has stereo output and any mono system will diminish its sound capabilities - so possibly even a cheap PC sound system might sound better than a more expensive mono setup.
Regards,
John
milo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben,

Good that you mentioned that. For stereo sound it must be at least 2 speakers right? But not a monitor and a bass speaker i assume. Let me know if i am wrong Wink

byee
milo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just was thinking about something. I have a Philips stereo set FW530C at home. Here a picture with specifications http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/f/fw535c_22/fw535c_22_dfu_nld.pdf

it has a audio Line IN, so i can connect my mixer to it. Do you think i get good quality sound out of this stereo set?
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be OK but I'm guessing you would not connect a mixer to it - you should just connect Left and Right cables only and use the Philips own amplifier. Also I think the mixer you mention might be mono. The output of your Pa1x is at "line level" and needs amplifying but you should not amplify it twice (Dont put it through an amplified mixer and again to another amplified device such as your Philips stereo.)
Hope this makes sense.
Regards,
John
milo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI reuben, thanxs for the reply.

I have in my mixer the channel REC OUT and so i connected the mixer with my stereo. So i use nw the amp. of the stereo.

But i use also the amp of my mixer ( it's a amplified mixer Yamaha emx640) for the bass speaker.

I have tried this, and it sounds good. But as i understand of your reply, it isn't good to amplify twice...what kind of effect does this have you think?

greets,

milo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: