Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the price of Keyboards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:

Yea Korg! Squeeze every last shilling out of those Brits who insist on buying new. Hip Hip Huzzah! Korg, you can probably charge these Brits even more because they're only squealing at this point and are still planning to buy regardless of your increase.
Razz Razz Razz

funny guy.. Ctr-C & Ctrl_v; good arn't they..

what is this infatuation with secondhand goods?

this topic is not about secondhand equipment. simply about the massive price increase, across the board, for musical equipment..

back on topic..

I can see the pound has weakened.. but the prices have increased by 30% or more, then pound has not crashed that much against those far east currencies. The increase in price is way beyond what you could expect from the pounds current lower position against other currencies.

I don't see this increase on other luxury items from the far east. in fact the opposite.

It seems that all UK suppliers have pushed out this increase at the same time; I can't see they all sold out of all their gear at the same time forcing them to buy with a poor exchange rate..

further, joining the Euro.. yeah that'd make sense. when the euro crashes in the next few months you be very happy we are not using the Euro here. the constraints being in the euro on our local economy would really finish us off. The pound will bounce back very soon. will prices of hi-tech gear?
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyman wrote:

I don't see this increase on other luxury items from the far east. in fact the opposite.

Luxury items as in an example of What??MI manufacturing is a small Industry and market most of it manufactured in China,New Car prices in the UK have gone up by 20% in some brands in the last month,and one particular brand we looked at had a stock pile of New cars off the track that they could supply us with a car of our full specification within less than 4 days,when we looked last year,around November the price was 20% less and would have took till January,almost 6 weeks lead time to be built so why increase prices if they now have stock to shift??

Quote:

It seems that all UK suppliers have pushed out this increase at the same time; I can't see they all sold out of all their gear at the same time forcing them to buy with a poor exchange rate..

Perhaps they didn't all have stock at all,its not unknown for them to advertise an item being in stock at a lower price,only to take your order(and your money) and then phone later to say they can no longer get the item at the Advertised price,Turnkey were prize winners for this activity,and so are DV sometimes,
I doubt it would be any kind of coincidence or Hoax that they all upped the prices at the same time,its normally the Suppliers like Roland/Korg who set the prices anyhow not the retailers the Retailers are the Middle man in selling and price setting,the normal discounted offer depends on how many they have in stock or how many they can buy to get discounts from the suppliers,most if not all of them will offer a price matching policy

if it was some kind of money making scheme between retailers by upping the price to make larger profit margins do you not think that there wouldn't be a price war going on if they could set the thresholds,surely if they can undercut each other and still make a profit then we would see fluctuating prices between retailers not a level playing field.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyman wrote:

what is this infatuation with secondhand goods?

I was just razzin' ya, even though I didn't use emoticons.

I buy a mix of new and used gear. I'm looking for value, and used gear usually gives better value, in my opinion. There's a price to pay for getting the latest, greatest new gear. Sometimes the price isn't worth it, sometimes it is, depending on what you really need.

Even with new gear, I never pay more than 80 percent of the normal retail price. I look for sales, clearance, demos, b-stock, open box, rebates, etc. on new gear. As an example of gear I bought new, I got the R3 for $420, X-Station 25 for $365, and a Triton Extreme 61 for $745. I also got a used mint condition Korg Z1 for $400.
tonyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've always been frugal buying musical equipment.. you have to be it's soo damn expensive..

many of the items I bought years ago have now increased in value. which is a good thing I guess, but not much use to me as I'd rather not sell them..

luxury goods... I mean things like TV's, DVD players, mobile phones.. anything electrical..

what I really need is a to replace a Roland xp10 (which is pantz).. I have a Radias, which I find very useful for making esoteric sounds, but I need a sampled good sound set, a sequencer may be useful, and sampling a bonus.

anyhowieee..
Prices have rocketed over here and I can't see it justified by the fluctuation in money exchange rates. especially as there has also been a 2.5% cut in VAT (local tax)

I will get me a new KeyB soon.. possibly a secondhand Roland fantom X6..
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
luxury goods... I mean things like TV's, DVD players, mobile phones.. anything electrical..

Its odd,you can buy a DVD player in some well know supermarket chains in the UK cheaper than DVD Disc??and you can also buy a Mobile phone for the same price.

prices of these things you list have been dropping way before the Pound devaluation,everyone has those types of things,there more or less ten a penny.

Musical instruments don't really fall into the same type of category of consumer gadgets,I wouldn't call all those items you reference as "Luxury" more a normal part of life.

The VAT cut was really to help business,which has made their profit margins better not really help the consumer,a £37.50 reduction on a £1500 synth isn't going to make any difference in your decision to buy or not if you haven't got the funds to pay the 1.5K anyway.
The best thing the government could have done to help induce spending is reduce the Taxation drastically on Diesel Fuel by a third,everything you buy is dictated by the cost of Diesel because without those modes of transport to deliver it,You wouldn't get your goods so when the transport companies raise their costs to keep up with the price of fuel it raises your outlay too on everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: