Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot open MIDI port
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FretBuzz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: cannot open MIDI port Reply with quote

I am trying to write scene data to my nanokey but keep getting 'failed to open MIDIO port'. I have looked in the manual, not much help, searched the forum with no luck - so does anyone have any ideas? I am using namokey with Sonar XL 6.

I have also noticed that although nanoKey seems to recognised by Sonar, when I start the editor program it cannot find the nanoKey until I unplug and replug?
PE Music

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Same problem: Korg support is not helpful Reply with quote

I'm having the same kind of issues. I'm jumping in on this thread with hope to find a solution.

In my case, Device manager recognized that the unit is working but the Korg Editor states it's "not connected" and Sonar doesn't see it at all.

Korg Tech support was not much help. Even when I told them that the KORG Editor did not detect the unit the stern reply was "Sir, it's a plug and play device. (like I'm some kind of idiot...) If it's not working, contact Cakewalk and ask them to walk you through it. It's not our device that's causing you the problem...it's their software."

I wonder if anyone else is getting the same kind of "support" from Korg.
It's like they made this product to SELL but they're not willing to step up the plate and offer some real instructions on how to get it to WORK.
If I wanted a rubik's cube I would have gone to Toy-r-us....

Exclamation
labiur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

i experiment serval problems with few nanoseries drivers. its a shame that they answer you like a nob.
the windows xp panel control display the nano as a "regular midi device" but softwares dont display devices as input.
i have this proleme on 2 Vaio(1XP and 1 vista) and 1 Fujistsuv (xp) laptops.
hopefuly it works on my main computer. Confused

about the 3 laptops, all standart midi with plugandplay drivers work really fine.

hey korg crew , wht the ..? please fix that.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When weird ass MIDI stuff like this occurs it seems their problems often come down to the problem addressed in this tech note :

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_techinfo.php?page=content/support/en_support_faq_10entryd

Check that out.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any joy with that tip guys ?
FretBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re. Cannot open MIDI port Reply with quote

Hi

For what it is worth I solved the MIDI port problem by going into EDit/Preferences in the Editor (when I finally got it to recognize my nanoKey) I then checked the 'set MIDI ports' radio button pressed OK, when back in and deselected 'set MIDI ports' manually and it has been fine since.

Still having problems getting the Editor to recognize the nanoKey on a consistent basis though. I also seem to have problems as I often get no sounds when I press the keys, I fiddle around a bit, unconnect and connect, restart Sonar until eventually I get sounds back, but it is a real pain.
FretBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: problems with editor Reply with quote

Just thought I would try something. It seems that the Editor recognizes the nanoKey providing Sonar is not open. Just tried this several times and each time sonar is open no-go, close Sonar and the Editor finds the nanoKey.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the driver you're using is not 'multi-client', that's not unusual. However, I thought that the Korg provided drivers were multi-client ( anyone confirm ?). Are you definitely using the latest Korg driver and not just the default Windows class driver ?

It times like these that you want to pick up the guitar and just play, eh ? Very Happy

Daz.
FretBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re. Problems with editor Reply with quote

I downloaded the latest driver from the Korg website as per the instructions in the manual, and yes, I thought it was meant to be multi-client as well. Obvioulsy not.
FretBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Just want to pick up your guitar and play Reply with quote

And I meant to say, yes it does make you want to pick up your guitar and play.

Thats what so frustrating I use all this gear to make backing tracks and spend most of my time getting it to work.

Now how does A minor pentatonic go, its been so long!!
labiur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed by the 10 entry limit reset and a driver reset

thank you
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

labiur wrote:
fixed by the 10 entry limit reset and a driver reset

thank you

Cool

Cool, glad to hear that sorted you out !

IMO the Korg folks need to make up a document like this RME one themselves, or even have their driver installer actually check for this condition and just highlight it to the user. People keep crashing into this one ... LOL, well except us Mac users Wink
bman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Mid / editor issues Reply with quote

hey Daz
I'm having the same issues getting the librarian on my mac for my microKontol to "find" the MK.
Whenever I try to transmit or upload a scene i get a "midi time out" or "can't find microKontrol" message.
I have adjusted the midi port settings in the preferences menu in the MK editor but so far no dice.
Any suggestions?

PS the Mk works with Ableton live all the time. No issues.
microKontrol / UC 33e
KP3 / MS-20
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the latest Korg USB driver ?

http://korg.com/uploads/Download/KORG_USB-MIDI_Driver_1.0.7_For_Mac_633670078245240000.zip

Daz.
bman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: microKontrol editor problem (midi timeout issue) Reply with quote

Thought I did....

I downloaded the driver you posted

Set the ports at:

Port A for in
CTRL for out

Success!

Just tried this out and now I can transmit data. (tested multiple times)

Thanks Daz
microKontrol / UC 33e
KP3 / MS-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: