Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possbile to add new voices in M 50
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
satheesh_3dx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Is it possbile to add new voices in M 50 Reply with quote

Is there any possibilities to add new voices in M 50
akmon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, short answer: NO
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if by 'voices' you mean samples (the parts that make up a sound, e.g. recording of a piano, synth saw wave, etc), then no. the M50 has no sampling utility or sample ram option.

however you can design and modify the parameters for your own programs and the programs that come with it to your hearts content.

the m50 has two multimode resonant filters, plenty of LFOs, envelopes, etc. and effects. most of the built in programs will already use these to further develop the basic sound of the samples..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M50 voices are not enough for you Shocked
somnambulist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with leonh on this one. If you need additional samples and the 100's in the M50, plus all the modifications and effects you can apply aren't enough: M50 is not for you. You really are looking for the next level of workstation. M3, Oasys(if you are rich), Fantom X, Motif. These are the synths for you. Wink
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
you can design and modify the parameters for your own programs and the programs that come with it to your hearts content.

the m50 has two multimode resonant filters, plenty of LFOs, envelopes, etc. and effects. most of the built in programs will already use these to further develop the basic sound of the samples..

I'm sure that will keep you busy for a long time....should you choose to buy an M50.

Sounds Good
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade said:

"the m50 has two multimode resonant filters, plenty of LFOs, envelopes, etc. and effects. most of the built in programs will already use these to further develop the basic sound of the samples.."

He's right...all the Korg basics are there and if you need sampling then you are getting away from an aspect of the original "Korg Sound" evolving into other amazing stuff as individuality takes over. I am trying to get the best of the M1 sounds into the M50 to take off from where I was sound wise on the M1. To improve the M1 aspects that I liked and bring it up to the M50’s potential sampling will sample the flaws that can be tweaked out to some degree, but I think its cleaner to match a few sounds and learn what they are made of and how to get them out of the M50 that can sound in my opinion from playing with the two much better retaining the depth of sound particular to the M1 and W/S. Programming rather than sampling can be better at times and create better understanding tools to create news sounds that you like, not someone else. Not as easy for me as others here with more experienc. I really need to sit down and read the manual and spend some time with it ... havn't got the bells dialed in to get its foundation as I want going right yet. M1 programers did a great job on some of the sounds and hard to copy them overnight.

John^^
gdverm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may be talking two different languages here. What Korg calls a Program, Yamaha calls a Voice. I'm a Yamaha convert, and had to learn the new lingo when I got this wonderful M50-88.

If you asking if you can load new Programs (i.e. Hammond B3 Organ, Sweet Trumpet, etc), then the answer is definitely a big YES!
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there's a SD card (memory) slot in the m50. what does it do? I mean, can't you add new sounds through this? or let's say you have a sound file of any kind (could be a noise or voice of someone talking) and you want to play it back with the m50, can it be added through the Sd card or at least PLAYED right from it?

thanx

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe is sampling (really, sample playback, but in the keyboard world, sampling tends to mean both the process of recording audio from another source and formatting it for your use and the process of playing back that audio), and the M50 doesn't support this.

What you *can* do with the SD slot is load in new programs. Those programs *must* use the existing waveforms that are in memory on the M50 (so, you can't load a program of you talking; again, that would be loading a sample).

The SD card is also used for backing up your settings, saving songs you've made in the sequencer, and loading and saving individual combis and programs.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What you *can* do with the SD slot is load in new programs. Those programs *must* use the existing waveforms that are in memory on the M50 (so, you can't load a program of you talking; again, that would be loading a sample).

what do you mean by "the existing waveforms"?? I'm so sorry about the ignorance, but I want to know if this is the synth for me!!!

I currently own an x50 and was wondering what kinds of things you could load INTO the m50 so as to play them... I get you mention sounds, is there anything else?

cheers

kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A waveform is audio data. When the M50 makes a piano sound, for example, it does so by playing back one or more waveforms that are stored in ROM (read-only memory, meaning you can't change it) on the M50.

A program on the M50 or another keyboard (other manufacturers use different terms; it's annoying) is just a bunch of settings; it doesn't contain any audio data. Instead, it tells the keyboard which waveforms to play back from ROM, and what other settings are needed to make a specific sound.

For example, a grand piano sound might use two waveforms, one for when the keys are pressed quietly and the other when they're pressed loudly. The program would tell the M50 which waveforms to use, how to play them back, and what effects settings to use (probably reverb, for a grand). I could make another piano program using the same waveforms with different effects or other settings.

The M50 does not let you load sounds (i.e. audio data), it lets you load programs (i.e. settings that define a sound). For that matter, so does the x50. On the M50, you can load/save the entire settings of the keyboard (programs, combis, arpeggiators, drum programs, global settings), or some part of that (I could export a bank of 128 programs or a set of programs and combis that use those programs). You can also save or load songs, either in the M50 sequencer's native format or as standard MIDI files. I believe that's all you can load and save though. As before, all of these are just settings instructing the M50 how to make use of waveforms that are already in memory; none of them are new waveforms that do not exist in memory on a brand new M50.

If you really want to be able to load sounds (i.e. waveforms/samples/multisamples, pick your terminology) that do not exist in memory on the keyboard, you can't get the M50. You'd need the Korg M3 or an older, discontinued Triton/Triton Extreme/TR/Triton LE, or, from other manufacturers, a Roland Fantom X or Fantom G or a Yamaha Motif, Motif ES, or Motif XS. Also note that the TR and Triton LE don't support samples out of the box. If you just want to play back samples someone else recorded, you need to upgrade the keyboards with some RAM (available cheaply on eBay; there's a seller named fourniersean who many here, including me, have bought RAM from). If you also want to record your own samples using the keyboard, the TR and Triton LE will also need the EXB-SMPL upgrade available from Korg. You can also sample using your computer though, so you might not want to pay extra for the sampling upgrade.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can also sample using your computer though, so you might not want to pay extra for the sampling upgrade.

yeah, but a bugger if you want to play live with it... I mean, I would have to buy a notebook!!

WHAT ABOUT A MINI KAOSS PAD??? It DOES sample doesn't it? and you can even alter the sounds in real time can't you?

thanx

X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
Quote:
You can also sample using your computer though, so you might not want to pay extra for the sampling upgrade.

yeah, but a bugger if you want to play live with it... I mean, I would have to buy a notebook!!

WHAT ABOUT A MINI KAOSS PAD??? It DOES sample doesn't it? and you can even alter the sounds in real time can't you?

thanx

what he meant was that with the TR/LE, and all the other korg WS synths that have sampling, you can make the samples on your computer and upload them to the synth by USB/memory card.

the MINI KP has no sampling at all - it is just an effects processor. however the larger KP3 (the Real KP) does have four sample slots.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alllll right, I get it then, but it still puzzles me whyever the m50 has the slot for an SD card and no expansion options!!!!!!

can anyone see this in the future happening with it?

any other options if I would like to have sampling available live? I mean, I hear about the kaoss pad, but still, anything more flexible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: