Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Korg DS-10 compatible with the Nintendo DSI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravenking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Is the Korg DS-10 compatible with the Nintendo DSI Reply with quote

Hi there. Very Happy It might be a silly question but I must ask if the Nintendo DSi which arrives in the stores April 5, 2009 will it be compatible with Korg DS-10 ?
Question
GWGumby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason it shouldn't be. The only games that wouldn't be compatible are ones that use the GBA slot. This would be games like Guitar Hero, or anything that used either a rumble or tilt pack.

If anything, the DS-10 should work better since I believe it has better sound volume and quality.
ravenking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Ok. Thanks.
littlepig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody on this board got a DSi yet? If so what do you think of it?

Just wondering whether to sell the DS while it is still worth something and get a DSi or just stick with the DS
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd like to know if it is worth doing the DS trade in as well. Gamestop and EB has a deal that if you turn in your old dslite you save like $70 or $80 towards the purchase of a new DSi which would be about $115.

Thanks to Hugo who found all this other cool homebrew DS music software I'm really into making my DS the ultimate Kaossilator (yes I own an R4s)
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're Canadian, the deal is $75 CAD for your DS Lite, or if you trade in any game worth $8 or more along with the DS Lite, you get $100 CAD towards your DSi.

If you use any kind of homebrew, avoid the DSi for now; I don't believe it's hackable yet. If you play GBA games and don't have another way to play them, avoid the DSi.

Honestly, it's probably only worth it if your DSLite gets a lot of use and you're worried about it wearing out in the relatively near future (I did the upgrade for this reason; I also had other EB Games credit through trading in games, so my DSi was almost free). The buttons and screen on the DSi are better, but the other features aren't really worth it, at least for now. Downloadable games will probably be worthwhile down the road, but until they actually have some good titles, it's not worth the hassle.

EDIT: I should also say that yes, I have a DSi, but I took advantage of the tradein for the reasons I said above, and because I'm more a gamer who also makes music than a musician looking for other ways to express myself.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to the DSi and tested it with the DS-10. The DSi is absolutely, positively, and with no doubt a massive improvement in audio quality with the DS-10 software. The DSi has MUCH better bass performance. The bass performance problem on the DS lite is no problem on the DSi. It also seems to have much better dynamic range and lower noise, making for much punchier and cleaner kick drums that rock the subs. The problem was obviously the hardware, not the software.

It is such an improvement that I have to change all my custom bass patches to take advantage of the DSi hardware. I am thrilled with the DSi. There is no possible way that I could recommend the DS lite vs. the DSi for the DS-10 software. I view the DSi as essential for DS-10. It now really is like an EMX-lite.
littlepig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy > thanks for that advice. I will check out the DSi asasp
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy; that's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'll probably upgrade this fall, as I do get a bit tired after using the DS for extended periods.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. Just beware that after you upgrade you'll need to modify your patches a bit to take full advantage of the new found bass audio quality. Fortunately, I found it quite fun to be rewarded with great results when tweaking the patches. Also be sure to use high quality monitors or pro studio headphones, not the built-in speakers.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Also be sure to use high quality monitors or pro studio headphones, not the built-in speakers.

Is there any improvement at all in the built-in speakers?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
Also be sure to use high quality monitors or pro studio headphones, not the built-in speakers.

The built-in speakers are quite a bit better on the DSi, but there's only so much that you can expect from any built-in speakers of that size and power. Good pro headphones are the minimum to hear the full audio quality of the DSi, in my opinion. At least the DSi built-in speakers give a better hint of the improved audio. I always take my headphones with me, because that's the only convenient way to know how a specific patch will really sound when hooked up to PA gear.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to check out the DSi over at a game stop where I can try it out. I'll just plug in my copy of the DS-10.

My only consern was if the new DS1 reads R4 cards since I am using software created by Raktor addicts to create music in the same way DS-10 does.
ravenking

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Good advice! Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Hugo wrote:
xmlguy wrote:

The built-in speakers are quite a bit better on the DSi, but there's only so much that you can expect from any built-in speakers of that size and power. Good pro headphones are the minimum to hear the full audio quality of the DSi, in my opinion. At least the DSi built-in speakers give a better hint of the improved audio. I always take my headphones with me, because that's the only convenient way to know how a specific patch will really sound when hooked up to PA gear.

This is very good advice. The Dsi sound is very good but the headphones give a more rich experience in the panning qualities.
I really enjoy the Korg DS-10 with the DSi and I really love that built in Kaoss pad!
Very Happy
blitzdj86

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god damnit I just ordered a DS lite off ebay, thinking the only difference was the camera and the lack of GBA/gain of memory card slot.

doh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: