Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you change the time signature?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManKD wrote:
What happened to the days of people helping people....

They died when the people wanting help didn't know how to ask for it in intelligent ways.

Let me break the relevant posts of this thread down for you.

1) You ask a question. I'd argue it was one you should've answered by looking at the manual or by trying it yourself; you'd argue those tasks were too hard. Fine, call that what you will.

2) tritex4 gives you an answer. Perhaps a simplistic one, and certainly not one that was going to baby you and walk you through every step. It assumed you had at least some idea of the interface of the M50 and some idea what you were doing.

3) You post saying that you won't play a 3/4 song in 4/4 time, which is both irrelevant to post #2 and is obvious to anyone with common sense.

If you did not understand post #2, or were unclear how to change **/**, why did you not ask for clarification?

4) tritex4 points out that he already answered your question, and rightly so.

5) You ask for an answer, not a smartass answer, and complain about not being able to get help (to which you are not entitled; you are not paying for the services of tritex4 or others) and about the manual.

6) tritex4 gives in and gives you the "hold-your-hand" version of the steps.

7) After a few posts about the manual, tritex4 pastes, word-for-word, the contents of the manual, showing that the steps really are basic and easy, implying that you didn't read it or have serious reading comprehension issues.

Seriously, the manual tells you *step by step* what to press to change the time signature.

Let me quote something that was said about you over a month ago:

StudioMan wrote:
I would imagine why your sensing a slight sarcasm, is MANY users have spend 100s of hours reading thru manuals to learn not only the most basic functions, but to learn detailed methods/functions as.

A lot of your questions, almost seem like you haven't even looked at the basic 100 page manual, let alone the PG (Program Guide).
A little hard for some to buy (but I believe you) that your ready to play out, if you don't know the most basic operations of your M50.

Now, let me give you some friendly advice.

You are coming here acting as if you are entitled to answers. Furthermore, you are acting as if you don't know how to search for things on your own or don't want to search for things on your own. The best two examples of that are this thread and another thread on recording your M50 where you asked what a DAW is. Tritex4 gave you the polite response there (defining the term and saying "google is your friend", instead of the more appropriate but less polite JFGI, which since I'm assuming you don't want to figure out on your own what that stands for, means "just f***ing google it").

The web browser you use probably has a search box built in; if not, adding a bookmark to www.google.com is not hard. I strongly recommend that whenever you hear a term you don't know, your first response is to type that term into the search box and look up an answer yourself. For one thing, you'll get an answer much faster since you won't be waiting on someone here to read your post and respond. For another, knowledgeable people here can spend their time answering real problems.

As for posting, I'm going to highly recommend you read this before posting again with another question. It's written from the perspective of getting help with open-source software, but most of what it says applies to posting on a technical forum like this one.

I'll even go one step further and throw out a few key points of that webpage that you might find relevant (though I still recommend you read it).

1) Do your homework. Google a topic, search the forums for previous discussions on that topic, and search the manual. Acrobat Reader lets you do a keyword search, so it's not like you have to read through the manual to find something unless you don't know what the right keyword is.

2) Tell us that you've done your homework. Don't be vague and say, "I don't understand the manual". Be specific, as in, "I read about time signatures on page X but I don't understand what they mean by 'set Meter to **/**'". This tells us that you're actually willing to solve the problem and not just be spoonfed the answer, and reduces the amount of work someone has to do to give you an answer. If you've searched google and don't understand a result, link the page in question and point out what you don't understand. If you found no result, tell us what search term you used so we don't waste our time searching the same term.

3) Try things yourself. I use the TR, not the M50 (though I did try it in-store) and find both interfaces straightforward. Also, the M50 has the factory settings in memory; you can recall them in either global or media mode, I can't remember which. What this means is that if you experiment a bit and change something you shouldn't, you can recall the factory configuration easily. In short, other than physically damaging your keyboard, nothing you do will permanently screw it up.

4) Accept answers with deserved sarcasm A few people previously, including tritex4 in this thread, have given you answers to questions that you should've been able to find yourself in a manner that could've been more polite. Your response so far has seemed to be to complain about the nature of the response. Don't do this. If you're getting a constructive answer (as opposed to someone posting "Read the manual, idiot" or something similar), be glad that you got an answer. If someone gives the answer and says that it should be obvious if you'd looked in the manual, guess what - they probably have the manual open or know from looking in the manual in the past where to find your answer. And of course, if you don't understand the answer, you're going to post about your specific concern, right? (See point 2 above) The alternatives to a negative response that answers the question are a negative response that does not answer the question, a positive response that answers the question (i.e. spoonfeeding you), or ignoring your post altogether.

I understand this is your first workstation, so it may be daunting, but there's a world of difference between being a beginner and being lazy. Being new doesn't entitle you to answers.

Lastly, if it sounds like I or others are being overly negative, the truth is, we really aren't. What we care about, though, is the signal/noise ratio of the forums. Constructive posts answering difficult questions are "signal"; posts answering trivial questions to help out someone who didn't want to find the answer themselves is "noise". Time spent answering noisy posts could be better spent elsewhere, plus the more noisy posts there on a forum, the harder it becomes for someone to find something by searching. People just want you (and others) to be a valuable contributor and get challenging questions answered, and people value their time, so if you've gotten less-than-friendly responses here, this is why.
PianoManKD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's hardly any activity or "noise" on this forum at all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: