Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for improvements/changes on M50?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpscoey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for improvements/changes on M50? Reply with quote

'
I've basically 'lifted' this thread from one on the M3 forum, but it proved to be popular there, and I thought it was a good idea.... So

What would you like to have seen on the M50 that has been left out/overlooked?

What are your suggestions for things that should be included in future KORG keyboards?

I'll start the ball rolling.....

1. A dedicated 'home' button -
so whatever program/combi you're in, and whatever alterations you've made, you could hit this button and return to a default setting of your choice.
(in my case it would be piano - I can see my way through any song we play using piano, if need be!)

2. Progs/combis not changing instantly when you press the button (or pedal) whilst, for example, holding a chord.
This would give you just that second or two to 'prepare' for the next voice change.

3. Being able to set different numbers in each bank.
Currently, if you are in bank A, number 001, then change to bank B, you will automatically go to B001. - what if you'd like to go to voice B023?
This would mean you could have 5 voice changes (in program mode) available instantly.

4. Have the numbered buttons (1 thro' 0) assignable as 'favourite' voices (as on the X50)

These are just a few ideas of mine (all performance-related of course)...

I'd be interested to hear any other comments?

www.myspace.com/jscoey

KORG gear: M3-73 Xpanded, M50-88, X50, Kaoss KP3.
Other gear: Nord - StageEX-88, Electro2 - 73.
Hammond - XK1
Yamaha - Motif XS7.
Roland - SH201.
runeharpun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I've added some ideas in this thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40948&highlight=

R
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for improvements/changes on M50? Reply with quote

jpscoey wrote:
'
4. Have the numbered buttons (1 thro' 0) assignable as 'favourite' voices (as on the X50)

I'd be freaking ecstatic if Korg implemented this. I have under 10 "go to" patches that I sometimes need without warning (couple organs, piano, EP, lead, etc)

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for improvements/changes on M50? Reply with quote

jpscoey wrote:
'

+1

this is a real missing features in korg products that instead is quite common in many other vendors

further i would like to have possibility to modify the patch structure (as for example the Juno G offers) and have the possibility to have the structure similar to a VA, i.e. not only:

OSC1 > filter 1 > amp1
OSC 2 > filter 2 > amp2

but also something like

OSC1+OSC2 > filters > single amp

i know i can do this just using the same setting in filter 1/2 and amp 1/2 but would be simpler to have possibility to select the structures.
also i do not like very much how editing pages are organized for creating/modifying programs.
runeharpun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 4 gets my vote too.

I was planning on getting myself a footswitch for quick patch switches when playing live with my M50, but a favourite button should do the trick.

R
jpscoey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'
Another idea - some sort of 'back-lighting' on the control panel,
so you can see the buttons/controls in dark conditions?

*Afterthought.... 'glow-in-the-dark' lettering would be a very easy (and cheap) improvement for starters!

www.myspace.com/jscoey

Hammond - XK1
Yamaha - Motif XS7.
Roland - SH201.

Last edited by jpscoey on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

develope instructional dvds to include with the board

Have the ability to save in an audio foramt wav and or mp3 to a large thumb drive like at least 4 gig. Also include an ability to save live play ( like the "other" brands do).

past KorgDW8000/ KorgX2 / Korg N-88/Alesis Q6/ Alesis Q8
TkWall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are changes that could happen in an O.S. upgrade. Seems like some of these could be done.

But how can you talk about improvements to the m50 and not put a velocity sensitive keyboard at the top of the list? What board doesn't have this? Why even put piano patches on it if your notes are all the same volume? I almost plunked down the bucks when it first came out because it had so many great features, then said whoa. Glad I didn't.

For whateve it would have cost them to add this feature, it would have been worth it many times over. I can live without sampling, I can live with the cheap plastic case, I can live with every other shortcoming except this one.

C'mon Korg.
jpscoey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TkWall wrote:

...how can you talk about improvements to the m50 and not put a velocity sensitive keyboard at the top of the list? What board doesn't have this? Why even put piano patches on it if your notes are all the same volume? I almost plunked down the bucks when it first came out because it had so many great features, then said whoa. Glad I didn't.

You're mistaken here Tk.

The M50 does have a velocity-sensitive keyboard - in the case of the 88-note a very good weighted one.

I think you're maybe confusing this with aftertouch?, which the M50 doesn't have.

If I were you I'd try one out, and I reckon you'd be falling over yourself to "plunk down the bucks"!

www.myspace.com/jscoey

Hammond - XK1
Yamaha - Motif XS7.
Roland - SH201.

Last edited by jpscoey on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Macumba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions to improve the use of the M50 with a computer :

- Put octave up and down buttons for comfort and accessibility when used in a DAW as a midi keyboard... So easy and obvious !!!

- Being able to use one M50 VST for each track right in the DAW. That would be awesome !!! Right now, I must put the editor on one track, set the midi channel of each track to a timbre in a combi, build the specific combi and using some of the effects used in the chosen PROG... By the way, if anyone has a faster and easier solution... I'm in !!

- After touch (better integration with Wavestation VST for example that has many presets using it) !!

- Easier to use Midi presets that work with KLC, Ableton,... with the possibility to easily understand the function of each knob with a diagram on the M50's screen

- Being able to modify Drums PROG the same way that the M1 VST enables you

- Enabling a sort of ready to set arppegiator with the same method used in the MicroKorg (buttons with lights !!)

- Being able to load PCG and COMBI through USB (not so sure it is already possible...)

- An X-Y Trackpad

That's it for tonite !
runeharpun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another two:

1) A single sized effect with stereo compression and EQ. A basic compressor with attack, release and ratio. After this, an EQ with lowshelf/locut (adjustable frequeny) and possible another adjustable notch or highshelf filter. This will be very handy as a TFX.

2) Another option for the global foot switch. This mode can be called alternate patch up/down. It will enable you to move up and down between two patches/performances next to each other (eg. E001 to E002 to E001). The usage of this would be to switch between normal and solo play within a song. But this also means the two patches/performances would have to be stored next to each other.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: My only real "practical" wish not adding much expe Reply with quote

The cord trigger buttons should be rubber and velocity sensitive adding to great feeling joy stick. These are very useful if done this way but as hard on/off buttons they limit use. Have Nano Pads to add when picked up at GC...

So far the M50 is just as expected, great machine showing Korg's constant progress. Can't wait to see what replaces OASYS. Real modeling and many improvements I imagine.
John^^
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: My only real "practical" wish not adding much Reply with quote

John Hendry wrote:
Have Nano Pads to add when picked up at GC...

so if i understand well is it possible to get one of the Nano product and connect it to the M50 using the USB port on the rear panel? correct? or you have to pass through a PC?
jpscoey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'
Here's another one folks!

The control panel is 'sloped' rather than being 'flat'.
In days of old a flat top meant you could place a second keyboard on top, but, these days, that no longer applies.

If we accept that a sloping panel is useful, why not go the whole way and have it more 'upright', or adjustable
(similar to the good-ol' mini-moog, or even M3 for example).

This would mean, from whatever your playing position (standing or seated), you'd have a better view of the screen, and it would be
easier to press/adjust the buttons and knobs.

www.myspace.com/jscoey

Hammond - XK1
Yamaha - Motif XS7.
Roland - SH201.

Last edited by jpscoey on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Hendry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Nano pads Reply with quote

No, it needs a PC;-( I wish you could just run it into the USB port and be done with it but it needs a PC as if running KARMA.

John^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: