Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone still loving their TS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone still loving their TS? Reply with quote

Have to say this thing has been a rock solid workhorse. It's never let me down and really gets my creative vibe goin'! I know the m3 is here and all, but I'm really still happy with my TS. Careful selection of samples loaded to round out everything in the TS coupled with what's good in rom/exbs, get's some really great sounds. Been using the hell out of the hd recording and doing some crazy stuff with sysex in the sequencer for the internal parameters and controlling some lo-fi processing(old roland fx are great)....so much fun. Sure I have a lex and a tide but sometimes the lo-fi digitals have a lot of character/warmth(roland rsp550 anyone) and sound great with an already pristine sounding machine(TS)...

I still love my lovely TS!
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love-hate relationship. I love the sounds, but the user interface often drives me crazy with frustration. It's like they thought "this is the Triton STUDIO - it must only be used in the studio. Let's make it as hard as possible to use in a live environment".

Smoothly changing sounds and layering sounds (bringing them in and out while notes are sounding) in live performance is just about impossible (without major polyphony penalties).

But I haven't found anything better that would convince me to replace my Triton Studio yet. Too bad Ensoniq died - they had excellent user interfaces. I still use an SD-1, and am always amazed how easy it is to program and tweak sounds in a live setting.

I'll buy another Korg when they offer a product with a Korg sound-generation engine and an open-source user interface.
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually found the opposite in regards to using it live.
I found it was very versatile and let you do really cool things with splits, samples, arp's and backing tracks with seperate outs all in one machine.
best damn arppegiators on the planet!

The only thing i COULDNT stand with using it live was its weight.

Of course i have recently sold mine to help feed a really serious modular addiction.
I did have a chance to jam a bit with it before i sold it, damn nice sounding machine for a rompler.
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine always runs like a clock and through numerous bumps and bruises gigging, it's never let me down. Now looking at adding an M3-73 (after I have paid for my daughter's very expensive wedding in May), with whatever change I have left.
A truly remarkable machine, built like a tank and weights about the same LOL.
GB
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
Clarkeo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: still love it Reply with quote

I recently bought an M3-88 which I am really very happy with. I originally envisioned replacing my TS88 for live gigs with the M3-88. I'm still working to get my combis and programs set-up on the M3 and have been "supplementing" the TS88 using the M3 module until I finish that process. I think I've decided to keep using it this way at least for now.
learn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: build wise Reply with quote

I had a TS a few years back "upgraded" to the extreme which feels very "plasticky" compared to the solid build quality of the TS.
Saturn V vs. a space shuttle I guess...ie one is new tech but the other just looks the part...
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn, is not just new tech but the extreme is a waaayyyyyyy beter machine.
And also way cheaper...
SirRoyRogers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2002 I bought the Triton Studio.
In 2004 the triton Extreme.
In 2006 the Oasys.
In 2008 the M3...

... and I'm still in love with my Triton Studio. And I think is better than M3.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Learn, is not just new tech but the extreme is a waaayyyyyyy beter machine.
And also way cheaper...

Dang...not you again! Confused Besides the tube, and a few extra samples(which lost some cool samples too)...the Studio is the more comprehensive nicer machine. THe Extreme IS a Triton Studio but made more affordable without some bells and wistles(the card and slow as scsi usb 1.1 is a nice addition, but not at the expense of hd recording which saves poly, effects, ram)....

Keep your easy to swipe at the gig card and usb 1.1...and I'll keep doubling up on effects/poly with the HDR and save my ram for better samples instead of using it all for tracks that you ahem.....have to sit there forever to load and have limited space for.

Only 2 tracks yes, but very useful if you need to squeeze that last bit of hp from the TS.

Say what you want, but I like the built-in hd and cd burner.....seem to be good enough for the OASYS and I don't need to haul any extra crap around.

Same synth engine/effects/samples(give and take on the samples...new ones were not all worth what they gave up IMO) Keep your plasticy piano and I'll keep my vib-choir. Studio is just way better looking too, IMO anyway and just feels more solid to me.

So please...please don't tread on my tread k? This thread is for Triton Studio owners.

Last edited by John01W on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say it but I had to sell my Triton Studio in the end because I needed the cash. I really do miss it too, but mainly for the custom sounds I had programmed into it. I was able to recreate them on my OASYS, but they don't sound the exact same obviously. Looking back I realise now I should have sampled them off the TS and not recreated them using the OASYS engine.

I also miss the most simplest thing in the world, the Arpeg. I know I have KARMA on the OASYS but it's not the same thing and you need a PC to create new OASYS Karma Patterns.

Regards
Sharp.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Sorry to say it but I had to sell my Triton Studio in the end because I needed the cash. I really do miss it too, but mainly for the custom sounds I had programmed into it. I was able to recreate them on my OASYS, but they don't sound the exact same obviously. Looking back I realise now I should have sampled them off the TS and not recreated them using the OASYS engine.

I also miss the most simplest thing in the world, the Arpeg. I know I have KARMA on the OASYS but it's not the same thing and you need a PC to create new OASYS Karma Patterns.

Regards
Sharp.

Hey Sharp! Long time, good to see ya! I need to post my super choir patch that I made with exb2.....I'll get around to it!
learn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: fair points... Reply with quote

BasariStudios, True and true again, maybe i'm just fickle...
mokeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: TS Reply with quote

YES STILL IN LOVE WITH MY TS
SDDP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought mine right when it came out. Recently bought the Kronos and was going to sell the TS and love the TS so much decided to keep it. The way it can sample off a CD, the fact that it's soft keys on the 73 and not Hammer, so if I am playing a certain style that needs the non-hammer on the Kronos, I just midi it to the TS.

The fact that the TS boots up in about 10 seconds compared to the 2-3 minutes on the Kronos is a keeper too.
Kronos 88X
EdK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using my Triton Studio. A real workhorse for the last 10 years. Only had it in for service twice.

Once it only needed a good internal cleaning.

The other to replace the number pad buttons as some of them were not responding properly. It's a labor intensive job as the board pretty much as to be completely disassembled in order to get to the buttons. The buttons are inexpensive ($2-$3 each) so I simply had the tech replace them all. Total repair cost was about $250. Also had the output jacks resoldered.

I only wish it had a USB port but I guess at the time the Triton was on the drawing board, I think USB was just being developed at about the same time.

I did find a device that's made to replace the floppy drive with a USB port. Haven't purchased one of those yet but supposedly it works. http://www.floppytousb.com/

Also, I wish the user guide, param guide, etc were documented better and provided more examples of how to do things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: