Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still confused about STS's. songbook STS's???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Still confused about STS's. songbook STS's??? Reply with quote

Am I right when I say that the 4 STS's belong to the style. So the style is the "parent" of the 4 STS's.
So whenever I change these in the style mode (write STS), and I recall that style, by songbook, performance or direct, I get these 4 STS's?

So if the songbook refers to a style, I get these 4 STS's. I can't store 4 different STS's in a performance or songbook, without changing the STS's that belong to that style.
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also somewhat confused.

I think you have four STS that are saved with the STYLE. I also think you can save four different STS to a songbook entry for that same style.

Further, I beleive you can save four additional (differenct) STS with a PERFORMANCE.

I get confused when we start talking about a STYLE PERFORMANCE. It's not clear to me what elements are unique and can be saved in a STYLE PERFORMANCE.

Last and perhaps unrelated, I continue to think that STS's do not behave as described in the manual. The manual says that you should be able to change STYLES and have the STS stay the same if the STS led is off. (My old i2 did exactly this when playing arrangements if the STYLE led was off.) Does not seem to work as described regardless the mode.

Sorry for mixing up subjects but maybe the answers are related.

Thanks for any clarification.
iaoranaemaeva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
I think you have four STS that are saved with the STYLE.

Yes.
Quote:
I also think you can save four different STS to a songbook entry for that same style.

Yes, for any song (i.e. based on a style or a MIDI file). Whatever the associated style and its own STS, 4 new STS can be saved with the song.
Quote:
Further, I beleive you can save four additional (differenct) STS with a PERFORMANCE.

No: as far as keyboard tracks are concerned, a Performance is an exact equivalent of one STS.

If you select an STS, it will be picked from the Style which is referenced by the Perf, not the Perf itself.
Quote:
I get confused when we start talking about a STYLE PERFORMANCE. It's not clear to me what elements are unique and can be saved in a STYLE PERFORMANCE.

A Style Performance holds all parameters relative to Style Tracks, panel controls etc. - i.e. all data (apart style sequences of course) that are not saved in STS sections Wink .
Quote:
(..) The manual says that you should be able to change STYLES and have the STS stay the same if the STS led is off.

If Single Touch LED is lit when selecting a Style, its STS1 overrides the current Performance keyboard track parameters.

Otherwise, these parameters do not change, but, if you later select any STS from the new style, it will override them, and you can't revert to them, except by reselecting the original Perf (preferably with Style Change off ). Wink
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot iaoranaemaeva for a great summary.

Just a few more comments that apply in style play mode:

The Upper1, 2, 3 and Lower tracks are known as the "keyboard tracks" since these can be played via the keyboard. It is these tracks that are configured by an STS or by a Performance (and I mean the buttons on the right of the keyboard).

By default, with the "Single Touch" LED illuminated, when you press a Style selection button, the settings stored in that style's STS1 button will configure the keyboard tracks accordingly.

If you want, you can also cause a Performance change to cause selection of a corresponding style, by having the "Style Change" led lit on the right hand side of the keyboard. In that case, the Style will be loaded but the Performance setting on the Performance button will override the style's STS1 setting.

Now, what is confusing is that there is also a set of parameters called "Style Perfomance" associated with each style. I think those parameters would be better called "Style Settings" to prevent the constant confusion everyone has with the Performance buttons on the right of the keyboard. Anyway, these parameters are a record of everthing you can change and tweak while in style play mode, such as the sounds assigned to each track, the relative volumes, the tempo, the tuning and octave shift, the EFX send levels and the overall EFX assignments. When you do a "Write Style Perf." in Style Play mode, all of those parameters are written to the currently selected style and to whichever style STS was currently selected.

It is best to make sure you are not modifying a factory style, and that you are always working on a user copy. Why? Because when the next OS upgrade comes along you will loose all changes to factory styles.

Copying a factory style to a user style involves going into RECORD mode, creating a new style by copying the current style, exiting from RECORD mode, then selecting the new style from whichever bank you wrote it to.

Now, onto STS's in the context of style play mode. You can select any STS and it will alter the settings of the keyboard tracks. You can change anything on any of those keyboard tracks, and then do a "Write STS" and you can choose which of STS 1 to 4 it is written to. Always the STS data is written in the context of the currently selected style. So again it is better to make sure you are modifying a User Style and NOT a factory style, otherwise at some point in the future you will cuss and damn because the next OS upgrade will overwrite all your changes.

There are various parameters that can be Locked to prevent some of the above changes from happening, but that is another topic.

Best regards,
Rob
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much everybody for clearing this up for me. I will save this topic because its confuses me every time. Confused maybe this can be moved to the tutorial section admin?

Thanks Rob for the tip of creating user styles. (wow that would be frustrating loosing all the work!)
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks also for the clarification.

I would like to pursue the STS led just a bit more. With the STS led OFF, KB sounds and effects will not change if you select a different STYLE. The Style sounds and effects will. (Page 9 of manual.)

I read this to mean that with the STS led off, I can be playing a STYLE with four STS that I like, then select another STYLE and have all four STS stay the same. In other words, the exact same instruments (except for the style sounds) now play with a different STYLE. It does not seem to work this way. What am I missing?

Thanks again.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
Thanks also for the clarification.

I would like to pursue the STS led just a bit more. With the STS led OFF, KB sounds and effects will not change if you select a different STYLE. The Style sounds and effects will. (Page 9 of manual.)

I read this to mean that with the STS led off, I can be playing a STYLE with four STS that I like, then select another STYLE and have all four STS stay the same. In other words, the exact same instruments (except for the style sounds) now play with a different STYLE. It does not seem to work this way. What am I missing?

Thanks again.

Hi Ron,

I was talking about the button to the immediate right of the style presets, labelled "Single Touch" which has a LED that can be ON or OFF or flashing.

This button will not prevent the STS stored values from changing when you select a different style. The four STS's are always changed when you change a Style, even if STS1 is not used to override the currently selected Upper1, 2, 3 and Lower track settings.

You can store any keyboard settings you want available for all styles as Performances (right hand set of preset buttons), and then set the Global parameter so that the "Style Change" LED is OFF by default, so when you change the Performance for the upper 1,2,3 and Lower tracks, the underlying style will not change.

Best regards,
Rob
iaoranaemaeva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
Now, what is confusing is that there is also a set of parameters called "Style Perfomance" associated with each style. I think those parameters would be better called "Style Settings" to prevent the constant confusion everyone has with the Performance buttons on the right of the keyboard.

+1... and for the rest too, Rob Smile
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Thanks for working with me on the STS led thing. (And, yes we are talking about the button next to the style selectors.) I agree with you that "the four STS's are always changed when you change a Style." I'm wondering if this is what the designers intended. The manual would suggest otherwise.

I'm a little short of time so can't get on the keybooard but I think switching performances (buttons to the right and related STYLE led OFF)only gives me one new set of KB settings and the other three STS's remain the same. In fact, I think the STS names don't change and all four can actually be recalled at the touch of an STS button.

My goal (maybe becoming an obsession!) is to change styles and have all four STS stay the same. I think this is what the designers had in mind with STYLE led OFF.

Thanks again for trying to help and I second that Style Performances would have been better off call "Style Settings."
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

Well, there are 320 different Performance locations, each of which does the same thing as one of the 4 STS buttons. I guess it's a personal choice sort of thing, but I prefer to use any of the 320 Performance settings to quickly change my keyboard tracks while retaining the same style. More choice, more buttons, more options etc.

Obviously I make sure the "Single Touch" LED is always OFF, and I wish there was a Global lock setting to make that the default (but there isn't). And I configure the "Style Change" button so it is always OFF (it's done in Preferences: Style Play Setup).

Can you let me know the section in the user guide that led you to believe you could prevent STS values from changing when you select a different style? Maybe I missed it ... the only thing I can find to achieve what you want is to edit every style and copy the same STS values from one to another.

Best regards,
Rob
iaoranaemaeva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
My goal (maybe becoming an obsession!) is to change styles and have all four STS stay the same. I think this is what the designers had in mind with STYLE led OFF.

Hi Ron,

Korg manuals state:

The Performance is the musical heart of the Pa....

They could have added and the Songbook Smile . I seriously think Korg could save all those Style buttons from the left panel, since they are not necessary to change a style while playing live: you just have to select a Performance, or a Song from the Songbook (even better because you get 4 STS instead of 1 + lyrics display etc.).

Best regards,
Alain
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaoranaemaeva wrote:
Ron wrote:

Hi Ron,

Korg manuals state:

The Performance is the musical heart of the Pa....

They could have added and the Songbook Smile .

+1! The Songbook really is the musical heart of my PA! Great feature! Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I truly agree that the songbook is a powerful part of the keyboard and I use it a great deal. I think I've become a little obsessed with the STYLE and STS led thing. It's probably become an exercise in futility but I am learning as I pursue it. Soooo, here goes one last time (I promise).

First, Page 9 of the manual is what leads me to believe me that the designers intended that styles could be changed without affecting KB settings (which I take to include all four STS) Item 15 - SINGLE TOUCH says:

This button turns the Single Touch and Variation/STS Link functions of or off.

On --- (Works as described)

Flashing --- (Works as described)

Off --- When you select a different Style (or the same again), the Style sounds and effects will change. The Keyboard sounds and effects will not change. (This is the part that does not seem to work. A new style selection brings new keyboard settings. It might be that one STS stays the same but I don't think so. I can't get to my keyboard right now to confirm.)

My thinking is this: A small band is playing a certain style. The next song will be a different style. The muscians don't all suddenly learn new instruments and bring them to the stage, they play pretty much the same instruments throughout the performance. I am trying to sort of duplicate this on the keyboard by just changing styles. I know there are other ways to accomplish this but if I understand the manual correctly, I should be able to do it by just changing the style with the STS led OFF.

I'm not trying to find fault with the keyboard. I think it is phenomenal. However, in this case, either the software does not perform as intended, the manual is a bit misleading, or most likely, I have missed something.

Once again, all input greatly appreciated as I try to learn more. Thanks.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ron,

Sorry M8, but you are confusing the topic by talking again about an STS button with LED's again. The STS buttons are immediately below the display and these are not what I am describing when I refer to the "Single Touch" button. The "Single Touch" button is next to the WORLD2/USER3 style button. It is labelled button number 15 in the Pa2x manual. It has three led settings which are ON (the default), Flashing and OFF.

On the Pa2x and Pa800, when the "Single Touch" LED is OFF, then there is no change to the settings or sounds of Upper1, 2, 3 or Lower "keyboard" tracks when you change from one Style to another Style or from one variation (eg VAR1, 2, 3) to another variation. It works exactly like Korg describe in the manual. A new style selection does NOT bring new keyboard settings to the Upper 1, 2, 3 and Lower tracks if the "Single Touch" LED is OFF. You are wrong about that.

Please re-read the replies and the help I have been giving you, you will find that everything I have said is accurate, and it works exactly the same as when we filmed it on the Arranger Secrets DVD's.

Best regards,
Rob
abo59

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
My thinking is this: A small band is playing a certain style. The next song will be a different style. The muscians don't all suddenly learn new instruments and bring them to the stage, they play pretty much the same instruments throughout the performance. I am trying to sort of duplicate this on the keyboard by just changing styles.

This exactly what I was wondering when I posted this question. The only way I found to do it, is to copy all relevant styles to the user area and change the instrument settings to suit the task at hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: